1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

OMG Russ! If thats true, then during the Bench, it never exceeded 46C!!! Thats pretty cool for 3.5GHZ then isnt it! I was considering getting a higher CFM Fan for the cooler. But if im already good, then there is no need :D The likelihood of this processor hitting 4.0 just jumped dramatically!!! I know, I know. Its not as easy as I think right. Well...this is just the kinda challenge ive been itching for LOL.

Whats the highest temperature a CPU can handle? I mean, what would really start getting risky? Effecting the life of the cpu?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That is correct, but you are right. 61C in Linpack means 80C (exactly) on the cores.
    As for a 4Ghz Quad on a Freezer 64, good luck. The voltage you'll need to pull that off will probably see your temps skyrocket.

eparker: Core temps should be 10-15C higher than the main CPU temp.

3. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

So what would you say to Everest reporting core temps lower then the cpu temp?

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Sam's right! You don't want to attempt 4GHz on a freezer 64 Pro. It can handle the OC you have, but not 4GHz. Personally I would leave it alone at this point and just use it. If you don't have any problems or glitches after a few weeks of hard use, then you can step it up some more if you wish. As long as you stay below 1.5v you should be fine, but you will need a better CPU cooler to do it!

Russ

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah...your probably right. Besides, I cant afford a replacement LOL! And unfortunately I may never trust water cooling! Ive heard too many people speaking of leaks! I would be beyond devastated if a leak were to fry my Baby LOL! Ehhh...3.5 is nothing to sneer at! Im afraid to express my true ambition/motives for fear of alienating people in the thread. I WONT do that! I will settle for 3.5 for now :D Im gonna play some GTA San andreas for a while, and see how it does. That will be the deal kicker!

6. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

So any help on my situation? I cant OC AT ALL. I cant even bump up my ram to 800 and their advertised to run at 1066 should be no prob. And the CPU does not budge one mhz

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wish I could help buddy :( Need a little help myself.

Im curious, is there anyway to know how much the board (surely?) can supply to the CPU fan. Because I just read a review about a paticular cooler asking a full 1 amp for its fan. And the guy warns about that! I imagine from my reading it would depend on the PWM?

Also...my fan is rated at 2200rpms but during the last bench, I only saw it hit 1300! Is there anyway to override that. Do I have an onboard controller im unaware of?

8. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

well on the bios, there should be a way to control the fan speed. Some boards even have a feature to raise or lower fan speeds depending on the cpu temp. Your fan is advertised to run at 2200 but keep in mind that is the fastest it will go, but it will not run that fast most of the time. You said you had it sress test and it still didnt go to that speed. more than likely you will have to change some settings on your board.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So...the cool & quiet could be causing it? Or perhaps the board itself didnt see the need! 45C CPU, 60C cores isnt too hot! Atleast from what ive read and heard. So if it gets REAL warm, perhaps then it will bump the fan speed up. Perhaps tomorrow I will attempt that. Right now im playing "GTA SA" :D
    Thanks for the reply!

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

EWOcelot,
    Did you hit Ctrl + F1 when the setup screen came up. If you want to change anything and make it stick, you have to hit Ctrl + F1, which will also expand the menus. Check particularly in the M.I.T. and go down to "Set Memory Clock"! click it from Auto to Manual and try the different multipliers it the Memory Clock. It will show them as you make different selections. Most 1066 memory only read as 800MHz, because all they are is highly overclocked and binned 800MHz memory, guaranteed to run at 1066MHz, so the memory lies to the computer!

Oman7,
    Look in the advanced in the setup and go to AMD K8 cool&Quiet and disable it. Then go into the PC Health and go down to CPU Smart Fan Control and enable it. Then go to the next one down, CPU Smart Fan Mode, and set it to PWM. That's what your Freezer 64-pro is! If you plan to use regular fans rather than WPM fans (most likely), go down one more and set System Smart Fan Control to disabled.

Until I figured that out I was pulling out my hair the fans were running so slowly. Not hot, but warmer than i like!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Did you mean WPM(I dont think so)? There's quite a few acronyms listed for that. Regardless however, I think I understand what needs done here. THANK YOU! :D

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

OK. Alot of you guys have noticed I play with the art programs quite a bit. LOL, I assure you its NOT the case here. This is the lowest temp I have EVER seen a CPU run!!! It almost scares me that its that cool!!! Per Russ's wonderful post, I disabled smart fan control's, as well as cool & quiet. Ummm...im at a loss here. Im overclocked to 3.5 and running this cool? Reactions???
    [​IMG]

Actually...its a pretty bearable audible level!

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sorry, I mistyped it, it's PWM! LOL!!

The only PWM case fans I know of are all 120mm. Cooler Master,
    Arctic Cooling and Scythe are the only ones I know who make them. One came with my Kama Bay Fan. I'm sure there's others, but not everyone sells them. Frozen PC does, but I don't see many on Newegg or Tiger Direct!

Best Regards,
    Russ

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...with the CPU fan running at 2340RPM's, idle temperatures are averaging 10-13C lower (CPU/Cores)! Under load, they're hitting 8-10C lower than before. I may have to raise the Vcore just to heat the poor thing up! LOL

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Did you enable PWM mode in the CPU Smart Fan Mode?
    Forget about the cores, What's the CPU temp of the green, red and purple from Everest, in the taskbar. Be specific, as I have a reason. I want to see something. Did you get a message when you installed Everest that it didn't recognize the chipset or something like that? I did with the UD4H! It also reads exactly the same as it did with Everest ultimate 450. Green is the CPU, Red is the NB/Video and Purple is the system. An easy way to see if yours is the same is to install EasyTune. Just check the CPU temp in EasyTune against what shows in Everest, and I'll bet the green box will be the same temp! I have the new Everest, and it didn't read right with either motherboard. It's not important, but I would like to know.

BTW! I think this is funny! How come I can master all 162 keys on the organ keyboards, and most times barely have to look, yet I can't type worth a crap! ROFLMSOAO!! :)

Best Regards,
    Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My everest version doesn't require install. Simple registry entry I think. Never seen an error report about the board.
    The bios also reports LOW cpu temp! Heres a few comparative pics.
    I hope this is what your after. Getting a little late here LOL!

Ok...I went from auto to PWM on cpu fan setting. It now seems to idle at 1100Rpms and 24C +/- and when I ran a quick bench, it brought the RPMs up to 1600 and stopped there, and ran SLIGHTLY warmer. Now...if I were to overclock again, I would probably see it go quicker! Russ, I think I like this setting more. While I like a cool cpu, I dont want it shivering either LOL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

If the CPU temp was correct, it would be shivering! But I can assure you it isn't even close to correct. You would have to be in a pretty chilly room to see those temps, especially with 4 35C cores! The core heat has to go somewhere, and the Freezer 64 is a good cooler, but it's not that good! LOL!! believe me when I tell you it's more like 29-31C. The room would also have to be between 66-68F, and even then I'm not so sure you would see 24C, so unless you have it on an unheated porch and it's real cold out, it's wrong! My 7750BE runs cold as ice OC'd 500MHz, and it doesn't run that cool on startup when it's 50F/10C in here. I'm pretty good at case cooling and I usually have some of the lowest temps around, and this Centurion case is the best cooled case I've ever used, and I don't expect to see a 24C out of it, ever! Yours is off by about 6-7C at idle! Usually it's the cores that get messed up where they stick, as their environment is much hotter to begin with, but your CPU temp sensor has to be way off! 24C is just not possible!

Sorry,
    Russ

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

O-man7,
    I'm NOT gonna say it's wrong emphatically like Russ has but it's unlikely to have temps that low. lol. Of course this assumes you have your house above 65F and the computer is in the same room. You're measuring these temps after warmup right? If you start up immediately and then check the temps then it could be close to that low. I use to check my work computer right after startup and it would be very cool but it was in a 60F environment at the time. So those temps can be reached but as a constant temp w/o heating up it's unlikely. lol. NOW go make us proud and prove us wrong. :p

....gm

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I too am a bit sceptical about those temps, mainly due to the load. An overclocked Quad at 45C full load on anything less than a TRUE-grade cooler is a bit suspicious, or amazing. Consider most people get temps in the low-mid 40s with Freezers on dual cores, especially so at only 1600rpm.

20. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Now Im curious. I'm running the E8400 at 3.825ghz Vcore is 1.24 my memory is at 1133mhz at 1.9 and everything else is auto this is were everest puts me at. Computer has been running for an hour when i took this with no load except for firefox. My room temps are at 70F. I'm also running dual 4870's in crossfire. So do these Temps seem ok?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to know if maybe i need to improve these temps.