1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I don't really know. One morning it just wouldn't boot up. The CPU was dead! The motherboard (Asus P5P-800SE) wasn't designed for the load of overclocking a Pentium D. With 3 stage power regulation and a poor quality PSU, it just wasn't up to the task.

Russ

2. im1992

im1992 Regular member

so it way overclocked and they couldn't tell?
    did it die from too much voltage or the fluctuation of the voltage?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Well, it wasn't too much voltage. I don't generally set the voltage higher than specs! I think it was a combination of a poor PSU and an inadequate motherboard. Asus just slapped some Pentium D ready stickers on the P5P-800SE and presto, it was supposed to work for dual cores! LOL!!

Russ

4. im1992

im1992 Regular member

so intel didnt know that the cpu was overclocked???

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I sincerely doubt that Intel even bothered to look at a Pentium D CPU other than to see if it worked or not! All they told me was that it was evaluated and was being replaced, and gave me all the Info for the new one! I wouldn't exactly be holding my breath on that one if it was a $1000 and up chip! LOL!! I would imagine that they would look much closer at those!

They can't tell if it's been overclocked, but they can sure tell if the voltage has been run higher than specs, but I doubt that they would bother for all but the most expensive ones!

BTW! Just so you know and I don't have to kick myself later for not telling you, the E5200's maximum voltage is 1.3625v. My rule of thumb there is don't exceed 1.35v, just to be safe! Note that Intel is really splitting hairs here at 4 decimal places for the Max volts. There has to be a reason that every person I know thats overvolted a Wolfdale or it's Xeon counterpart, has wound up having to RMA it! Some sooner and some later! With the worsening economy, companies will be looking for more ways to save money, and I'm sure the RMA criteria will be raised!

Russ

6. im1992

im1992 Regular member

the problem with the e6300 is that even at stock speed, sometimes the computer works and other times, nothing, no boot, no post.
    so when intel tests it and it is working, will they deny my rma?
    and i know for a fact that it IS the cpu cause i tested the computer with my uncle's e6700 and the computer booted perfectly, everytime.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

When you call or email for the RMA, just make it clear what it's doing. There won't be any problem unless you hit it with a hammer! LOL!!

Russ

8. im1992

im1992 Regular member

russ, actually i think the cpu would survive a hammer blow if you hit it on the ihs side lol
    there will be a dent in the ihs but i am pretty sure the cpu would still work heehehehe
    thank you very much for you time russ, i know i was becoming a PITA asking soooo many questions but you stayed patient

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

10. im1992

im1992 Regular member

the stock cooler that came with my e6300 still has the tim from intel (i have never even installed it) so should i install it so that the tim looks like it is used? how should i make the fan look dusty? and when i send the cpu back to them, should i clean the tim off the cpu or should i leave the mess on there?

11. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

im1992 and theonejrs,

Could you guys please edit your quotes and just include the last quote from the sender, this is ludicrous, and stupid, and you are taking tooooooooo much bandwidth, plus I hate reading all that crap time after time.

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

2nd that.

13. im1992

im1992 Regular member

i am very sorry sytyguy and ddp for any inconvenience i have caused you and also apologize on russ's behalf as he was just answering my questions.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I also apologize. I felt the need to say something earlier, but I like most people here at afterdawn, so I dont like making enemies. Sorry I passed the buck LOL :(

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I just cleaned mine off with alcohol and sent it back!

Russ

16. im1992

im1992 Regular member

so you hadnt used the stock cooler either and you just took off the stock tim and sent it back?
    or were you using the stock heatsink and you cleaned everything and sent it back?

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

It was never out of the box. I took it out and cleaned the factory goop off of it, and packed it with the CPU in it's original box! The one that I'm using now, was from the original E6750, so I now have a new one I can use to set up an Intel if I have to wait a day or two extra, to get my cooler. Stock machines anyway, so heat's not much of an issue at stock clocks! As near as I can see, both Intel's and AMD's dual cores run much cooler these days than they did just a couple of years ago.

BTW, before I forget, I have a need for a stock Phenom II 940 HeatSink!

Russ

My apologies to all, for all the quotes, it just sort of slipped away from us I guess. Won't happen again! Sorry!

Russ

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ, I have the stock cooler still. I DONT NEED IT!

Kevin

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The E5200 should theoretically make 3.6 if not higher. They're fabulous CPUs, but don't get your hopes up too much.

Agreed on the quotes.

To be honest, I can clearly see how Russ' D940 got fried. Those chips have a large power draw anyway, and overclocked it'd be even worse, even with only a small voltage increase. For a basic motherboard with weak Vregs, that's too much. I saw what happened to my EP31-DS3L when a fried CPU that was shorting the socket was put in it. Had I not spotted what happened and left it there, all that would be left of the board would be some smouldering goo!

20. im1992

im1992 Regular member

Once I receive a reply from Intel, I will go with the RMA.
    I will update you guys on what I get back.
    -im1992