1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

EDIT If it says Maxcore 55 on the cooler housing cover on the card, it's 55nm. The rest are 65nm!

JRS

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

"@bios" is having trouble finding an update for the bios, but one was released recently! See...I noticed the last few times I was in the bios, that EPP was disabled! I'd like to know why that is. I downloaded the update, but its extension is (.F4) is that gonna be ok? I would think it would want ONLY .bin files. Or maybe even .Dat! The file size of the .F4 is EXACTLY the same size of the old bios .bin file. Could changing the extension work, or should I even worry about it? Have I mentioned before that flashing makes me extremely nervous LOL! LOL! :p

Im sorry man! The box says Maxcore 55! I swear I dont know how I missed that before LOL! I hope that doesnt upset you.

So it would appear that Gpuz is correct in this case, and everest is wrong. Hmm...it may pay to find an updated everest!

Ok, Everest 5.01.1700 reports the proper 55nm technology :D :D

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    You can only enable EPP, if it's EPP memory! Most memory isn't EPP! I always do my flashing from the bios. I usually download the new bios to the C drive first. then re-boot and enter the setup, click F8, and follow the instructions! Very simple!

Why on Earth would I get upset! LOL!! Now, missing it on the Cooler cover, that's a different story! GRRRRRRRRR! ROFLMSOAO!!

Russ

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Actually, I didnt look at the cooler cover. I looked at the box first and was satisfied. No doubt it is on the cooler.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ,
    The thing is, I dont believe there was EPP before the mushkin. Just its disabled ability was not there before the mushkin! Any thoughts?
    Basically, I didnt even know what EPP was until I installed the Mushkin!

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol 4 watts difference? Who knows, maybe it would push a PSU over the edge, but frankly, the 55nm architecture is actually less efficient than the old 65nm by a long way (due to idle consumption). Not sure why that is.
    Omegaman: Gigabyte BIOSes use a file extension the same as their revision. The F1 bios is a .F1 file. The F2 bios is a .F2 file, and so on.

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

btw GPUz is a very very good tool that is also used to find out about a GPUs inners when roumers are flying before the facts are given. i would trust it very much :)

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks buddy. I had a feeling, but I wanted to be absolutely sure. I dont like messing around with flashing LOL!

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Actually it was corsair who was the first to come out with EPP memory, way back in May of 2006. It was a collaborative effort, mainly between Corsair and nVidia to develop it. OCZ was next to come out with it. The motherboard has to be designed for it, so it doesn't work in just any motherboard. I would suspect that you might only find the spec available in nVidia chipped motherboards, although I'm not 100% certain on that.

Best Regards,
    Russ

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I realize that the "P3 Killa A Watt" is not perfect. I use it as a guideline. So please don't tell me its inaccurate. But it is, how I came to the following conclusions. My MSI build, never exceeded 210W even under high load.
    [​IMG]

The following were done at 3.25Ghz No Vcore bump (1.35V)

180W idle

252W Prime 95 (72W jump from idle)

300-315W average GTA IV. 330W peak (intense action scenes)

The following is after .05 Vcore bump 3.5GHz (1.4V)

186W idle

272W Prime 95 (86W jump from idle) 20W high load jump

325-330W average GTA IV. 350W peak (intense action scenes)

The Following is Running at 3.7Ghz (1.45V) During stress tests, the supply never exceeded 2.6Amp draw

198W idle (203W @ 1.475V)

290W Prime 95 (305W @ 1.475) Both tests, computer restarted. 1.45V setting restarted MUCH quicker. 1.475 lasted 3Min

345W average GTA IV 360W peak peak!

MY PSU LOCATED HERE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002
    I've noticed that my PSU, is definitely inconsistent!!! The Overclock is MIRACULOUSLY/SPONTANEOUSLY better this time around. I have no explanation for it! Except that, maybe, my temperature sensor is sooo off, im not seeing a VERY bad temperature. The only way to know for certain, is to get a HIGHLY recommended PSU, and continue my testing then.

EDIT - Ive heard its possible to Fry/over work one rail, while the others are fine. Perhaps thats whats going on here. My CPU 8pin Rail is overworked/flawed somehow!

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unless you run a really imbalanced system, such as 20 HDDs and no other components, or two CPUs running off the same connector (and if you do that, expect fire), or loads of GPUs being powered by Molex->6 pin adapters, you can't cause any issues with a multi-rail PSU unless it's rails are less than 15A. The crappy Coolermaster ones with 13A rails may potentially cause you issues, but ultimately, the only way of exceeding a PSU's output is exceeding its TOTAL output, usually on the 12V side (Though DFI boards often cause problems for older PSUs with smaller 5V rails as they use tonnes of startup power on the 5V rail, I don't know if they still do).
    Ultimately, if ALL of your power usage was on the 12V, you'd probably be using about 23A in GTA4 maxed out. Realistically, you're probably using somewhere around 17-20, and it sure as hell won't all be coming from the same rail.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

So, your thinking that my PSU should be running fine. Im wondering myself. I haven't tried adjusting northbridge frequency or voltage. after visiting toms hardware, I believe I may be underestimating the PSU at least a little. Basically, ive only seen my 12V value drop to as little as 11.86, and during toms hardware testing, their guideline is 11.4 - 12.6! Now, im sure my PSU would never survive running at that low a figure for long, but it does tell me that my PSU is really not THAT stressed. And heck, like ive said, its always blowing cool air out of it. I suppose that doesn't mean much though LOL!

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can't discount it. Instability at 300W is unusually poor even for an OCZ though.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, why go to all that cooling effort then still use a 120mm fan? Nexus have shown that an efficient PSU can deliver a high wattage without needing a remotely fast fan.

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

because its 4 years old?

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didn't actually spot that... lol. Still though, so is a Silverstone fanless 350W.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    You may be thinking of a different brand, as CoolerMaster doesn't make any PSU with less than 15A rails, and they only have one of those, a 350w PSU that they put in a COOLER MASTER Elite RC-330-KKR1 case w/PSU. They don't sell them separately. I guess they put the 350 & 390w in inexpensive cases, as they no longer manufacture them at all! Both the 460w and the 500w PSU's I had with my AMD build had 2 18A rails.

460w Max combined power: 401w
    [​IMG]

500w Max combined power: 431w
    [​IMG]

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My mistake, it was the Thermaltake. I just use CM and Tt interchangeably in the low end PSU market for the reasons we discussed. Also, it's 312W not 431W, i.e. 26A. Note that proclaims it's a 460W. My 430W Nexus has 33A combined on the 12V rail, because unlike the Coolermaster 460, it will make 430W.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I almost miss my Thermaltake! I offed it to my brothers computer, when he needed a PSU, and I needed a beefier one LOL! It handled everything I threw at it without hiccup. I may buy Thermaltake again one day. I dont know now though. I hear too many good things about Corsair, and PC power & cooling.