The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...OCCT lasted almost EXACTLY the same amount of time that Prime 95 did! I find that VERY curious. Something is failing at the same time every time. I suppose I can try some voltage increases across the board, perhaps a NB frequency adjustment as well. Dont worry, I wont make that decision lightly. I'll do some homework first LOL!

2. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

hehe it isn't possible to hear the Toughpower over the rest of the system. Thanks for the clarification.
    My next build will be of the silent type if doesn't cost too much, already getting sick of listening to it lol.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...test number 2. I removed 2 sticks for sake of argument. This time, the computer did not restart, I actually got an error report. It almost sounds like, in test number one, the PSU gave up, and restarted. In test number 2, without the other 2 sticks of Ram, the PSU suffered less stress, with enough time to see an error report. Could my PSU be sooooo close to borderline that removing 2 sticks effected it enough. LOL! That would be my luck!!! I'll play with the NB a little first.

Well...ive tried several settings with the Ram. Stock speed, underclocked, timings, etc. Nothing seems to work here. Still looking into the Northbrige. According to some sites, the Northbridge plays an important role in overclocking!

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With Intels the Northbridge is EVERYTHING to an OC. With AMDs less so because of the memory controller, but it's still important.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I believe others with my board may benefit from this. So i'll post it here.
    To enable ACC in F3 bios(possibly others) on the GA-MA790GP-DS4H, you need to press CTRL + F1 simultaneously on the main bios page. The screen will flash for an instance. NOW, enter Mainboard tweaker and the setting is on the top :D

It would appear, to see this setting, one needs to execute the mentioned instructions each time entering the bios.

Edit - Im running the F3 bios, not F2 LOL!

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    You have to do that to be able to save the settings too! You can make some changes, but CPU, memory and most overclock settings won't apply. The idea (I guess), is to keep other people out of settings that might damage your computer. Drove me completely crazy with my 965P-DS3 until I spotted the fine print at the bottom of the MIT page! LOL!! I had never seen that before!

Russ

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    You have to do that to be able to save the settings too! You can make some changes, but CPU, memory and most overclock settings won't apply. The idea (I guess), is to keep other people out of settings that might damage your computer. Drove me completely crazy with my 965P-DS3 until I spotted the fine print at the bottom of the MIT page! LOL!! I had never seen that before!

BTW! With the ACC that's in the bios, there's very little useful adjustment. It's far more comprehensive, using the Overdrive. Also if you are not aware of it, the AMD OD 3.0 now works with the last two bios revisions. If you need a copy, let me know!

Russ

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You have to press Ctrl+F1 to save settings? Which ones?

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...this is rather disconcerting!!! I loaded optimized defaults on the tweaker page, in an attempt to restore my individual core temps. I am still unable to monitor my core temperatures! Oh, but now EPP is enabled. Isn't that some Shiznit!!! LOL! Im really at a loss here. Perhaps I should just flash to the F4 bios, bring it back to 3.5Ghz and be happy, til I can get a REAL PSU! I know ive said this before, but now I truly mean it LOL! Funds are just coming up short right now.

It would appear that EPP will be enabled, so long as memory clock is on Auto. Im still uncertain why ACC has screwed with seeing my individual core temps. :(

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    If you change the OC settings without first pressing Ctrl + F1 in the main setup screen, it will not save the settings! It shows them as set in the setup, but re-boot and go back into the setup and the settings you set will not be applied! They will have reverted back to the settings you tried to change. That's one of the reasons I always advise people to make their adjustments, like voltages and such, Save and exit, and go right back into the setup to make sure everything is set right, particularly with CPU and memory voltage, as a mistake there could be a fatal error!

Best Regards,
    Russ

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have never had that, with any of my Gigabyte boards.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I have no idea why, but it's been that way with the GA-965P-DS3, GA-P35-DS3R, MA790GP-DS4H and my Current MA790GP-UD4H. I just tried it and it won't save the overclock changes unless you hit Ctrl + F1 at the main setup screen!

Russ

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

P35C-DS3R, X38-DS4, EP31-DS3L, X48-DS5, not one of them has had that problem...

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wont save OC changes? I dont have a problem with that. But for what ever reason, screwing with the ACC setting, has made it almost impossible, if not impossible to change it back. I guess I could load the overall optimized defaults, and revert back to stock. Because it makes me nervous that software is not acknowledging individual core temperatures.

EDIT - anybody else having trouble with hotmail today. Something tells me MS is preparing for tonight :D Its about as slow as dialup today!

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I know this will sound strange, but go inside your computer with the computer and the PSU turned off and short out the CMOS pins. I'll bet you won't have any problem after that. I've had to do that on a number of occasions when I've had the same sort of problems.

Yes, Hotmail is running slower than mud in the Arctic! What is MS preparing for tonight?? Is there something I need to know?

Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

YES!!! Their preparing for the release of Windows 7 RC. I plan on being the first on their server(S) LOL!!!

17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Beat you all to it a few days ago :p

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Creaky :p

Russ,
    My vid card is blocking the Cmos bat/jumper. Sucks to be me LOL! I'll try some other things first.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You know, you could, er, remove the graphics card to get at it?

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, you haven't seen my disaster that is my desk. I suppose it wouldn't take much. But, since I wanna flash my bios anyway...it'll ALL revert back to stock :p

Ok, yes im lazy! :)