1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. AISmoked

AISmoked Regular member

So are there any minor mods or anything i can do untill i can afford to but parts

2. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Using nearly any recent OS besides vista will probably speed things up a little bit.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Heck, Windows 7 would probably run better than vista! I dont know though. I had it installed on a 512mb system, and it ran OK. But after a bunch of installs, no doubt it would REALLY need more Ram! This was a lesser processor than your sempron too. Several series behind your 2400. It was an athlon 1.4Ghz Thunderbird. Its gonna run a mediocre HTPC. Quite nicely I imagine. Minus blu-ray of course :p

4. AISmoked

AISmoked Regular member

It was ok with xp but i got a virus and had to reinstall and my key expired so i got vista of a freind to try it but ita a little slow i have overclocked before but i had reinstalled windows so it reset

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I gather you used something like AMD overdrive to do it? Because the OS has nothing to do with the bios. Vista Overclocking will be a little trickier. Its a finicky OS!

6. AISmoked

AISmoked Regular member

as far as i know im not using overdrive as i dnt know what it is lol

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Sempron is LONG before AMD overdrive, that was only impleented for the current gen CPUs.

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Really? I thought there was a version that could run the K7's

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ho ho!!! Im downloading Windows 7 RC. I thought it wouldnt be ready til 12:00AM PST. Its 11:00PM here. And im getting 100% of my bandwidth!!! I hope it keeps up throughout.

LOL, it may have just dropped in speed.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I know pretty little, but I would have to agree with this guy

The bios is the most trusted way to overclock. Software introduces a variable... SOFTWARE BUGS. While AMD Overdrive may seem stable, utilities like OCCT, Prime 95, Intelburntest, etc. prove to be unstable.

Im gonna have to agree with sam. You can build a VERY cheap SUPER computer in comparison to your outdated system there. And I mean no offense. I dont chuck computers lightly LOL! Infact I've got 3 systems older than yours here. :p And then there's of course my 2 gorgeous babies LOL!

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Just be careful or the Ho Ho might be on you! Having seen Micro$oft do this sort of thing in the past, first when they brought out Win 95. Sometimes M$ gets the last laugh! ROFLMSOAO!! All the Win 95 beta's were great, and poof, the release was nothing like the beta's at all! It didn't have either the look or feel of the beta, and was slower to boot!

Just funnin with you!

Look at me! I'm correcting your spelling! LOL!! :)

Best Regards,
    Russ

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I guess i'll find out this week. Its already 60% complete. If its ANY better than the beta, im a happy camper LOL! I really like this OS. But then, I like eye candy soo...:p The OS is sooo smooth, its hard to even look at XP. Yes, its that good. I believe that the problems that I have encountered have been due to lack of knowledge. Specifically not knowing either vista's layout or windows 7 for that matter. They are considerably different than XP when you think about it.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I've tried Win 7. It's sitting on the shelf! I had some issues with it I'm not real fond of any OS that I can't uninstall, except by force! I had to use Killdisk to get rid of it! I was damn sure to unplug the other Sata drive when I did it as disk recovery is not fun! I also wasn't real fond of the idea that if you have two drives that originally had another MS/OS on it, it wipes out both drives when you format the one you want to install Win 7 on. Who knows, maybe the version I had had bugs. The way I look at it, Win 7 has more bloatware than XP-Pro, but far less than Vista!

Hey, I just hit the jackpot! I just got 4 computers and 5 monitors, 5 top notch NMB keyboards (made right here in California), and a couple of mice for free! My boss brought me a Mini-Van full! LOL!! All the monitors are CRTs, 4 of them are ViewSonic 17", model E771s. No burn-in, and all of them have a great picture. I seem to recall that this was a pretty decent monitor in it's day. Well taken care of too! Three of the consoles are fairly high quality, 400MHz P-IIs with 2x256MB of SDRam. The other is a Rare 500MHz P-II based server (I think), with 2GB of SDRam. The beauty is this stuff is all free money to me! They all work and I can sell every bit of it and clear about $600-$700 or so. Hey, One Man's Junk! LOL!! I've already got two of the 400MHz consoles spoken for, and the other one sold! my next door neighbor bought one of the ViewSonics for $50, so that makes $150 for the day, and my boss surprised me and paid me the $50 balance of what he owed me for the work I did while he was in India! Sweeeet!

It just got sweeeter! There's two Epson Durabrite C82, 22ppm InkJet printers that work, too! Been a great day! LOL!!

Russ

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...I certainly would not call that stuff junk. I myself would call that treasure. So yes, im jealous LOL!

Im afraid I never needed to remove the windows 7 partition from a windows xp drive, so I cant comment on that. I gave the Windows 7 OS a dedicated drive. I wanted to be absolutely sure of how it was gonna run. I think that Windows 7 beta is smoother than I ever experienced XP! I hope that Windows 7 RC is every bit as smooth. It friggin better be. I hold the number 7 in HIGH regard. I hope that M$ programmers realized the numbers significance, and gave it that extra effort LOL! For if they hexx the number...Shiznit is gonna hit the fan LOL!

15. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Indeed. The Sempron is AMD's equivalent of the Celeron, why not try linux on it. Or go back to XP and avoid viruses :)
    Not sure if Windows 7 will run well on the 4200 Sempron as i never could understand AMD's ridiculous CPU numbering system. The only AMD i have is the Athlon 2800XP, haven't tried Win 7 on there yet.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I know what you mean. I gave mine a dedicated drive too, the only problem was I forgot to unplug the other Sata. LOL!! It formated both drive's old boot partitions without telling me when I formated the first drive. I went right to the disk tools as soon as I re-installed XP. I know they work and I didn't want to lose what was on the partition. Took a while to do it though, about 1.5 hrs!

Yup, that's what I call treasure. It's an old neighborhood, and a lot of the computer's around here are really old! Much older than these! Lot's of 14"-15" CRT's too! Most places you couldn't give this stuff away, but around here, it's a different story. The neighbor that bought the console, was replacing a 200MHz Pentium that I gave him to replace his old, broken 486, with a Dial-Up modem! LOL!!

People can say what they want about the Mexican population in California, but my neighbors are solid gold, as this is a true three generation neighborhood! Respect is very important to them! The people remind me very much of the people in the 3 generation Italian neighborhood I used to live in. I get work from them, and their friends, and I take good care of them, too! You should see it here during easter, Cinco de mayo, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. The neighbors drop by, and bring plates of food, wine, beer! You name it. This isn't Taco Bell we're talking here! LOL!! It's all home-made by the ladies while Grandma supervises! Great Food, and that says a lot coming from me, as I don't particularly care that much for Mexican food! LOL!! About 1 1/2 years ago when Russell and I couldn't afford to rent a van to go to Las Vegas and pick up some nice free furniture for his Daughter from my Sister, I mentioned it to Victor, next door that the cost was just too much, over $500 + Gas! Twenty minutes later he shows up at my door with another neighbor, Raul, who's computer I had recently fixed. I wouldn't take anything for it as it was just a file association problem, and all I did was tell the computer what program to open his files with! Raul hands me the keys to his Astro-Van! I wouldn't have dreamed of asking him for it, as I didn't really know him that well back then! Wouldn't take a dime from me either! Like I said, Good People!

Russ

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I tried a significantly less CPU than the 2800XP, it ran OK. I think it would be wise however to endorse nothing less than a dual core for Windows 7. Ive had an install lock up one core indefinitely. Had it been a single core, nothing short of safe mode would have cleared it LOL! Though while it was running, My 1.4Ghz Athlon (512mb) ran better then I expected :) It was slightly suggish. But I believe more ram would have cured it. I'll find out soon enough. I believe windows 7 will be its Media center OS.

18. AISmoked

AISmoked Regular member

Hi again i am just askin now how to get my bios up to see how much i can safely overclock thanks

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depends on what board it is (We need specifics, the model number will be written on the board itself) - seriously, you'll be luky to get 10% extra out of this system, you'll hardly notice it.

20. AISmoked

AISmoked Regular member