1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the uncore clock. increace that for a bigger bandwitdh.

also tryu and reduce the CPU VCore, and see if it still remains stable.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    My bad with the Barcelona! Another thing I can't find is anything regarding a 45nm AMD Quad in 2006. Looking back at the overwhelming fact that Sam and Shaff were right, I would have to say the article I read it in was incorrect! I will concede that I am wrong on that one! My apologies to all for that screw-up!

No offense to anybody, but why can't Europeans write dates where they are easy to understand? Month, day and year makes more sense to me! LOL!! Most forms you fill out on line will not accept the European format! I guess it's just what you are used to. Our system here is probably just as confusing to them!

Russ

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

haha, np russ, yeah the american date pisses me off :p

i mean its better to go from smaller to bigger (day to year :D)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed, most forms won't accept european format, which is very annoying. However to me it makes sense for the date to be in logical order - days smallest, months next, years biggest at the end. The americans just write it as they say it, which is yet another anachronism in their unit base. The d/m/y order to me is the more efficient, modern approach.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Modern? It's been around longer than me! LOL!! Someone dropped the ball between colonization and today! LOL!! The first words of the US Constitution say, "In Congress July 4, 1776", and these people were all from England! I have to assume that it was that way back then, in England! Why they changed it, I'll never know!

Russ

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well if you ask me, a lot of stuff you Europeans do makes more sense. Case in point: metric vs standard. So, do you want units of 100 or some sort of unit system that has no solid base? Because 12 inches to a foot and 5280ft to a mile seems a bit weird to me :S

Though I am a heavy milk drinker and I will stand by the 1 gallon standard XD

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The sad thing is that our older generation have not really fully embraced that system, so we often find ourselves mixing the two up.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I'm all for the metric system and have been for a long time, especially after an Air canada 767 went down in 1983 because someone screwed up the conversion and put too little fuel in the plane and it ran out of fuel at 41,000 feet. Fortunately, no one was injured and the plane did fly again, Luck, skill and the Pilot's hobby of flying gliders was what saved everybody! Read here: http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=744
    You won't believe what the pilot did with this huge plane!
    Measurements and weights should be universal, worldwide! A very large element of luck and skill combined what would ordinarily have been a fatal accident, into just a few minor injuries!

Russ

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Similar story about the Air Canada A330 with a fuel leak due to a maintenance error and they used the fuel transfer system rather than trying to abate the leak. Impressive stuff, but it shouldn't have to happen in the first place.

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    To me, that means the world needs to be on the same standard of measurement and weights! That incident alone shows that it's needed so everyone is on the same page! I know I have been all for Metrification, with one standard worldwide, for everyone!

Russ

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Also considering my PCs run in measurements that only make sense to me in Celcius. I know how Celcius applies to computers. But if you show it to me in Fahrenheit it's like okay is my PC overheating or what? I mean I'm not stupid but I learned in Celcius.

I dunno in some things I like standard measurements but in most metric seems to make more sense. 32*F is freezing point? Why not just base it off freezing point and make it 0*? Even with the temps in my own PC I only have a general idea of hot and cool. Because I'm stuck on standard measurement.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The idea behind Fahrenheit I think was that body temperature would be 100ยบ. Unfortunately I don't think it was quite right.

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well I know my 7750BE's cool enough that the idle temp changes directly according to the current room temp. And right now it's sitting at 28*C. When it gets warm in my room it'll go up to maybe 30,32. What does that work out to in Fahrenheit?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

82 to 86/90.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

See that makes sense to me as the heatsink is lukewarm, nearly room temp to the touch. Cooler than my skin, but not cold. Maybe 70*F in here right now.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    First off it wasn't always called Celsius. It was called Centigrade for many years, and has been around since the 1700s. Why they changed the name is beyond me! I don't think it has anything to do with metrics, but rather the effect of air temperature on water at sea level, from solid (32F/0C) to vapor (212F/100C, with liquid being all points in between. It's use is mainly Scientific, but is widely used in electronics. It's an even incremental scale from 0C to 100C where each degree is 1/100th of the scale. Celsius only became popular it the last 35 years or so. Before that it was rarely heard of except in the scientific community! I think it would make calculations based on the Metric system easier because it's not a ratio scale! The magnitude of the degree Celsius is precisely equal to that of the kelvin.

Russ

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I generally understand both units of measurement. It truly is a shame that we can't pick one unit, and stick with it world wide LOL! But then, we dont measure the sun/stars in Celsius/Fahrenheit, we use yet another unit, Kelvin's. At least (as far as I know), measurements of light, sound, etc, only use one unit. I could be mistaken on this.

18. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

Kelvins is the scientific value, where 0k is the absolute zero, aka -270C

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I forgot to add kelvin. see the above edit!

Russ

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

E R R O R!!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009