1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,or anyone,
    Can you please give me recommendations for a good motherboard for a 775 pentium D 2.80ghz processor.A friend of mine has one and needs a board for it.Has to be DDR and PCI-e.
    Regards,Crowy.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,

Well, I decided to keep the MB for my D940. Asus wants to send me a new one but this one runs so good and the only thing wrong with it is it reads to low on the CPU temp. Besides that, they extensively re-built this MB and beefed up the voltage regulation with heavier capacitors and regulators. I've set the thresholds in the BIOS to 42C MB and 46C PS. That should keep me out of trouble It's running great at 3.81. I upped the voltage from stock 2 clicks on both the CPU and memory just to insure more stability. It runs prime for as long as you want to. I've run it 17 hours without a single error! I honestly think I could get 4.0 out of it. I can't say enough good things about the new Ultra 600 Watt PS. Voltages sre rock steady no matter what I am doing. Check it out, it comes highly recomended!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1273341&CatId=0

You are not going to believe this! That Athlon 64/Biostar combo that I had so much trouble gettin the right CPU to go with the MB my customer bought died! I put it together Tuesday and I got up Thursday morning and nothing! No Post, no beeps. The fans and lights work but all it does is whole bunches of nothing. Even though it's past the 30 day exchange period with Tiger Direct, they extended it for me so I didn't have to go through Biostar.

Frankly, I don't get it. I used it all day Wednesday with no problems. Ran Prime for a couple of hours with no errors! I shut it down when I went to bed and powered down the PS. When I turned it on in the morning it wouldn't post! I tried a different CPU and memory with the same result, no post!

I think I need a Voodoo Princes and a couple of live chickens as I think this case is Jinxed! The computer is on it's third major re-build in 1 1/2 years. It went through 2 Asrock K7S41GX motherboards, 2 power supplys, 1 CPU, 1 CPU cooler, 2GB DDR400, 1 CD/RW and 1 hard drive. The first PS almost burned down the house as it was shooting sparks and flames while the computer remained on through the whole thing. I walked in the door just as the drapes lit up! This time it took everything out except the CD/RW and the Floppy! I would call that a very bad luck machine! It was an Office Max special rebate deal made up of all sorts of re-manufactured parts. They just forgot to mention that little fact in thier advertising and the owner's manual as I don't think Andrew would have bought it had he known. Even the hard drive is wierd. It has Quantum, stamped into the side of the cover but whoever re-manufactured it made a Maxtor out of it. That's what it reads in the BIOS. Plus (or should I say minus) the drive is only a 5400 RPM drive! Pure junk! I wouldn't dare try to OC it!

I should have the replacement MB by Monday so all I'll have to do hopefully is change it!

Happy Computering,
    theone

3. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    Are you sure it's not the power supply??
    You may have lost 5v which is why you still have lights/fans but nothing else.

As far as that other system goes maybe sell it to a priest....LOL!!!

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I tried another PS with the same result! My tester says the PS is good!

theone

5. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,have you tried clearing the cmos...maybe as a last resort??I assume the pc speaker is plugged in so you would get the beep codes I know,but if the speaker isn't plugged in you wouldn't hear anything so it would appear "dead".

6. crowy

crowy Guest

I was just "pondering"(big word!!).Intels conroe chips have finally kicked AMD'S A**.The next offering from AMD should be good!!The 6600 conroe runs superPI 1m in a little over 20 secs.My "reasonable"3800 x2 runs the same test at 44 seconds stock.I'm guessing a 4800 x2 might do it in around 40 secs.So if AMD's next generation can cut around 20 seconds of the conroe scores we can expect super pi scores in the region of 4 secs......

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    Thw first thing I did was pull the battery and the speaker is plugged in. I also tried one of those plug-in on the MB speakers as well. Doesn't do a thing. I have a feeling that the BIOS chip went south! Since everything had been working so well, I hadn't considered changing the BIOS as I only do that if I run into a problem. I've learned the hard way that the newest isn't always the best!

Happy Computering,
    theone

8. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    I'm interested to hear the verdict!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2006
  9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

guys when we did this new build i went with two HDs i loaded windows on the new HD and used my older HD for data,pictures,music etc. but it hads windows loaded on it i deleted all the programs etc. but i can't delete the windows 32 file system. would this cause any problems? and how can i delete it?

10. crowy

crowy Guest

aabbccdd,
    The easiest way if you have space on your primary drive,is to copy everything you want from the slave to the master into a folder,format the slave drive then copy the folder you stored everything in back to slave.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I can sympathise, theone, there is someone else out there who has bad luck with computers!

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

thanks crowy i thought that was the way to do it but wanted to make sure. didn't want to mess anything up. it took about 2 hours to format the drive but i got it done.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I quote from what I wrote at DVDHounds (Same post applies here):
    Any ideas?

14. crowy

crowy Guest

aabbccdd,your welcome.

sam,Try this:

http://www.the-old-sea-dog.net/enditall/endital.zip

Iv'e been using this for ages and it works a treat(I noticed Estuansis also uses it and said how much he likes it to).When your computer starts up,let it finish loading everything until your HDD activity light stops flashing(or if your impatient don't wait just click on the end it all icon)then hit the red/green skull and crossbones at the top of the program.It will close all non essential running applications.Try it and see if it improves anything.

Also post a screenshot if you can of everything thats running when your computer starts up,there could be a gremlin in there!!

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'll try that, thanks.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    My D-940 clocked at 3.80 runs Super Pi in 34.76. Never tried it stock!

I'll screen shot if you would like. I never bothered running it before, but when I read a post that someone got to under 30 seconds I got curious and ran it!

Happy Computering,
    theone

17. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,that super pi time sounds right.
    Iv'e managed 29.385secs @ 2997mhz,but remember I'm not stable at that speed.It took quite a bit of tweaking to get under 30 secs.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    I thought that the under 30 seconds time might have been you. I remember seeing the post and getting curious about what mine would do, so I went and checked. Since it's been tweaked and runs very nicely, I don't care what it does stock as I'm not going to mess with the settings for nobody or nothing! I'll have to reneg on the screen shot as I haven't been able to figure a way to do it with Screen Grabber Pro and I'm not about to change to a different program just for Super Pi!

I'm getting 20,169 MIPS with a memory bandwidth of just under 6000 mb/s with 2 sticks of 512MB Corsair XMS PC3200 in it. My encode times have been cut by more than 50% from the Prescott. I can Rip, Process with RB/CCE and Burn the final result in well under 2 hours compared to 3+ hours, just for the Encode with the Prescott and you know how tweaked I had that (3.91 a 30% OC)!! I'm pretty happy with the D-940 overall. It's no AMD but it's no slouch either! I can run it at 3.91 and it runs fine. The MIPS go up to 20,718 and the memory bandwidth drops to the mid 5800s. I'm just trading a little memory bandwidth for a little more front side bus. I gave a fleeting thought to trying for 4.0 but for once I engaged brain before taking action and reasoned it would be prudent to drop it to 3.81 and leave it there. I mean I'm running a MB that was never designed for a dual core in the first place, and a bios flash was needed before it would even see the CPU. DDR400 and AGP graphics rounded out the picture so I think this is a good permanent setting.

Happy Computering,
    theone

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I see some Sophoclesian logic in there! At 2.4Ghz I make 21,313 MIPS. I'm back at stock for the moment, but I'm shortly going to try for 2.5Ghz using 1.4V CPU instead of 1.35. I may also up CAS Latency and it's three cycle counterparts to 4 cycles. Haven't superpi'd yet. Will do that shortly.
    Got 1M Superpi in 44 seconds @ stock.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  20. crowy

crowy Guest

sam go here:
    http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/
    This version of super pi reads to 1/100th of a second.
    BTW I also get 44secs stock which I ran with the standard version of super pi so I'm guessing you would have been in the low 44s and I would have been in the high 44s.And right now I'm quite high myself.....[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]