1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

redice,
    If it passed Linpack at 5 passes, #1 you should be good to go! I don't think you will have any problems with it. If you should have to play with the memory timings, just set the CAS to 1 higher and try it. If your motherboard has support for EPP memory, enable it! It will do a better job than you can do manually. I know mine does!

Russ

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,
    Must be your day! LOL!! I think your math is faulty! Without even asking I know his FSB is at 425. At the 2.66 memory multi, it should be at 1133MHz. 425x2.66 is 1133! The CPU is 425x8,5 for 3.6GHz at least when I went to school! LOL!! It's front side buss times the memory multiplier for memory speed unless my calculator is broken! :)

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  3. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Well let the truth be told...I broke it out back out the box and fired her up along with my 1980's video card that was for you sam...lol and she did'nt let me down at all still strong all she needed was alittle Bio's update to kick start fsb power here's the Results and she ain't done yet...lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@Russ your gonna have to explain this to me more if this is right or not the setting..I mean?

[​IMG]

O now for the passing Grade:)

[​IMG]

and the setting that got me there:)

[​IMG]

cooling the board shots with the 140mm Led Shots:)

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3765/bigfan1northbridgecool.jpg
    http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/1601/bigfan2northbridgecool.jpg
    http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/5136/bigfan3northbridgecool.jpg

these shots are my setup shots of the board at work

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2070/1000291.jpg
    http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8018/1000279p.jpg

cooling the hard drive:)
    http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8521/1000298i.jpg
    http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8757/1000296u.jpg

i like that number
    http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/5231/1000287.jpg
    http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8500/1000238e.jpg

Well she gettin put back in the box until I get my other parts in
    right now it at 33c at idle all four cores maybe cause the board is not back in the case where it's cooler at..I'm happy with oc'ing but may not keep it there back it down I'll see once back together

Happy Building:)

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=608496

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Linpack isn't really an especially good stability test, more often than not if my PC passes Linpack it still isn't stable. It's just an 'on the way' to stability test.
    Rob: Redice is using the 2.66 multiplier - for 1133mhz memory he's only at 3.62Ghz.
    Will: Nice work, those are about the same settings as I use for 3.65Ghz, but seeing as I'm using X48 there is no PLL adjustment. I have not experimented with GTLs yet.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok i see i was nt thinking of the 2.66multi. i just divided the 1133 and came up with 533 then used that 533x8.5 was looking at it in the 1:1(2.0) ratio..my bad.. looking stupid again.

ok i tried to take it up again. went to 3.83ghz, this mem just wont run at 902mhz. so im back at 3.7ghz. thats where it stays until i get my mobo and 1066 mem.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1133/2 = 566 not 533 :p

Why a new mobo as well?

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

my fingers slipped..lol i ment 566

as for the mobo. i need another one to put my E8400 on I'm basically doing a new build but piece's at a time when i can get them. then and the end my rig now minus the Q9550., with the E8400 back in it.will be for my sons. so they can play games on that they cant on the HP system cause the GPU isn't big enough.

plus I'm tired of all the hassle Ive had with all these gigabyte boards. I'm tired of all the RMA's. this one i have now i have problems with the USB headers they work some times sometimes they don't. i cant use both of them at the same time. i cant have the usb and fire wire that is on top of my RC690 and my card reader thats in one of the odd bays at the same time. i have to have 1 unplugged to get the other to work. i know it seems petty with that but hey i paid for it i expect it to work.

plus id like a little more options in the bios to allow for better settings that i cant get with this board.finer adjustments on voltages. it just my experience with these boards i dint like them and i want to try something else.
    like i said it will either be the bio-star I45 T-power or the asus P5Q Deluxe.

i don't mean to say this and start the mobo war again. it is just my opinions and thought on my experiences Ive had so far.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Rob: Have you checked that another board doesn't exhibit the same fault in your case? A common problem with coolermaster cases is that the front ports don't function properly, and it's often the fault of the case not the board, if you have a coolermaster. Not saying it definitely is in your circumstances but it's something you should check.
    If you must choose a different board, go with the Biostar. The P5Q Deluxe is similar to the maximus II formula I had that failed after 7 months like every other Asus board I've ever used.

9. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Thanks sam b4 taking apart last night or early this morning...I dropped the the cpu volts down a quarter from [+0.100] to [+0.075]
    and she still passed the intelburntest.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/7563/voltsdroppedinbios.jpg

Once i put the cooler master
    590 back together with all new parts that...I'm getting i'll leave the setting there...i had to update my bio's on the board cause the board been been down and out the case sense february and a new update
    came out in May 5th..I was having a problem at first the thermal throttling was kicking in and the C1e and EIST in the bios was (disabled) but it still read X6.0 on the multiplier on cpuz after read x8.5 in the bios screen the Update fixed it all...I did'nt have this problem when...I had the E8400 Oc'd at 4.5ghz but that was b4 febrauary also and said on there cpu support page (if update you cpu you need to update the bios for the change to Quads) see..I did'nt even pay attention(snake bit)..lol I write all my voltge,mch,fsb,memory volts and changes down on a note pad for safe
    keeping so ..i don't for get the results the update here P45AA512.BSP
    (Beta) Fix hardware monitor bug; need to clear CMOS after update and that's all it took

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The CPU voltage really is never an issue, especially with the E0 chips. Something I intend to eventually experiment with is cutting my Vcore right down as it doesn't need to be anywhere near as high as it currently is (and hence my CPU doesn't need to be as hot as it currently is), it's all about the MCH and FSB volts. With a good P45 board and a single graphics card, 455FSB should be doable with 1.3V and 1.2V respectively. Since the X48 is a 1.25V (90nm) chip vs the 1.1V (65nm) of the P45, the voltage is obviously higher, but I need to use about 1.6V and 1.25V to get to 455FSB with two cards installed. 1.6 on the MCH gets pretty darn hot and I'm concerned for the long term longevity of the system at that setting. To get to 4Ghz with an X48 and two boards needs around 1.75-1.8V on the NB and the full 1.45V on the FSB - which will see you changing CPUs ever few months.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i have the RC690 and when i use the cardreader it acts the same as the usb on the case.

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138118

wait for free shipping..lol or maybe we can get dan moody to hold 1 for you on the side some how...i'll work with you on the quarter voltages settings to learn the board it's easy,i've had the Q9550 at 4.0ghz at booting but not stable yet...i have to work with the voltages some more..but i would'en keep it there:) come on jump on T Power wagon like i said if..I jumped to a I7 1366 has to be the X58 biostar that's another story later down the line:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2009
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If I go i7, it's going to be Biostar as well for me, as Gigabyte still don't produce boards with double slot spacing.

14. Bsjoe

Bsjoe Member

Hi guys, question.

I have a GA-EP45-DS3L. It is said that it doesn't have RAID ability. I read this somewhere on the forum:

"No. It isn't. It has the ICH10 southbridge, you have to have the ICH10R for raid on P45 motherboards."

Then I checked CPUZ

[​IMG]

If you check the southbridge, it says ICH10R and not the ICH10 like it was supposed to come with.

So I admitted defeat... at least I thought... Can you guys tell me whether or not I can handle raid? CPUZ says its ICH10R and not the ICH10.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...that is an up to date CPU-Z. But im not the one to answer this one. Russ, or Sam could probably answer that one. Sam's usually pretty quick to respond. Patience :)

Oh, you might try the newer cpu-z. Looks like there is a new version. I would check that first.

16. Bsjoe

Bsjoe Member

It's fine, I'm in no rush! Thanks for your reply!

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I thought all P45 boards had the ICH10R southbridge...

18. redice

redice Regular member

In the spd tab in cpu-z it shows the following in SPD Ext. EPP 1.0 for my memory.

[​IMG]

memory

[​IMG]

19. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Looks to me that the memory is oc'd alittle so the timing gotta be loose with a 3:4 ratio only when it's under clocked that it run
    1:1 at 533 i can't run 1:1 unless i'm at 533 or under...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2009
  20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

redice,
    Can you send a link for your motherboard and memory soi i can determine if you can make use of the EPP function, if you memory is EPP? It does make a pretty good difference in performance if you can enable it.

Best Regards,
    Russ