1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Any port in a storm...

2. im1992

im1992 Regular member

I have a GeForce 6200 AGP in one of my computers and it has a bulging capacitor on it. I didn't really think of it at first, so I just wiped the capacitor (removing the acid or whatever was coming out) and put it back inside the computer. Now do you guys think I should RMA the card or do you think it will be fine? Is there any good GPU stress testing software that I can use to stress the card to see what happens? There is a lifetime warranty on the card so I am sure I can do an RMA. Please do not tell me to upgrade the card because I have far better cards in my main computers and this computer is just there as a backup. If I do RMA, what do you think I will get back? Do they even have AGP cards anymore? The card is an EVGA.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

im1992,
    If a capacitor is bulging, leaking, and it's under warranty, by all means, RMA it! It's only a matter of time before that cap that's going bad will burn you, otherwise!

Happy Holidays,
    Russ

4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Usually bulging means the cap is blown. I had the same on a 7600GT and because it was OOP Evga offered me a super discount 7900GS which went to ebay the next day after I got it :p

5. im1992

im1992 Regular member

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I was wondering why I am not having any problems though? Shouldn't there be artifacting or other problems? Do you think the AGP slot is damaged because of this?
    -im1992

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

When it happened to me the card would do 2D just fine all day. But when I tried games it would lock up.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sounds similar to the problem I had with a 6200 that I gave to Russ. Would play dvds, 2D, even N64 games all day, but play GTA III or San Andreas and it would lock up.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It may work fine up until you try to do something with it, when which it will unexplainably crash. I'd strongly suggest you RMA it.

9. im1992

im1992 Regular member

All right, thanks.
    What do you guys think about EVGA's RMA service?
    -im1992

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've heard good things and bad things, but don't have much personal experience to offer from anyone I know.

11. im1992

im1992 Regular member

aight, thanks

Merry Christmas everyone!

12. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Maybe some one can explain this as I haven't been able to make any headway lol. When I set my ram speed to 1067 with a FSB of 266 POST fails, but when the FSB is set higher (i.e. 355) the entire system runs 100% stable with the ram set at 1067 or even a bit higher. Any ideas as to why I can't run my ram at its rated speed with the stock FSB speed?

TIA.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is this an nforce board?

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

fsb holes do appear sometimes

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I ask because FSB black holes are known to all boards, but they are much more common with nforce chipsets.

16. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I'm wondering myself which board is it? if run your ram passed 1066 you gotta loosen the timing up abit ..I don't know which board you got or ram you have no info left by you:(

17. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Thanks for the replies. All my system info is in my sig (click the picture) but here it is anyway:

MB: Asus Commando
    CPU: E6600
    RAM: Corsair Dominator PC8500

To clarify the what's going on see below:

*anything not listed remains the same

Setting 1:
    FSB - 266
    RAM - 889Mhz
    --runs fine

Setting 2:
    FSB - 266
    RAM - 1067Mhz
    -- POST fails

Setting 3:
    FSB - 353
    RAM - 1067Mhz
    -- runs fine

The ram at its current timings runs fine at 1067Mhz and the board will run at any FSB I've tried. It's just the "setting 2" combination doesn't work.

Thanks.

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Sounds like an FSB black hole. My AMD 790FX board does the same thing between 3.7 and 3.9GHz. 3.7 stable 24/7, 3.8 never been stable, 3.9 stable 24/7(stupid volts of course).

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

FSB holes are an interesting, unfortunate, yet relatively unavoidable scenario. They were everywhere with the nforce boards I used, but I find them very hard to find with Intel chipsets, presumably due to the very limiting number of memory multipliers. As to whether they will reappear on the i5 platform though, I will hopefully find out the answer to relatively soon.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

This is actually the first AMD processor I've used with any kind of FSB hole. My 3800+, 4400+, 5000+ BE, and 7750 BE all OC'd right to their max without any gaps. Though I've also never had an AMD chip break 3.2GHz, especially with such high performance per clock, so this is new territory for me.

I also kept logs for all my OC settings as I adjusted to keep track of my known good settings. This made sure that I could start from a good spot if my first try failed. Most notably my 940 BE was my first Phenom based chip. I thought I was stuck at 3.4GHz for the longest time until I read that turning up the NB speed to 2200MHz would do it.