1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Now now!

44.718s.

2. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    When are you going to flash that bios to premium specs?.I noticed one of the advantages was better memory compatibility.Might be able to get that memory at 1T stable.I'll reset to stock tommorrow and see what super pi comes up with using 1/100ths of a second.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2006
  3. crowy

crowy Guest

I posted this on the let's paint the kettle black thread.Thought it was a classic!!I'm sure we've all felt like this at one time or another.
    [​IMG]

4. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    A new word for the English language maybe!!??

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2006
  5. crowy

crowy Guest

Just managed 29.375!!!
    [​IMG]

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    How did you get a screen shot? I tried everything and all I could get was the "Pi calculation is done" window?????

theone

7. crowy

crowy Guest

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Where did everybody go? Was there a fire and nobody told me? There hasn't been a post in this forum for 4 days. Anybody here?? Knock, Knock!!!

Happy Computering,
    theone

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Russ I'M watching my new Sony SXRD 60" widescreen. all i can say is WOW !!!!!! so I'M not posting as much as of late lol

10. Niobis

Niobis Active member

crowy, the modded drivers I installed for my card went to hell! I can't use my graphics card or go into the settings. Prompts me the drivers are corupt. For the last few days I've had to switch on my Intel card. If I uninstall the drivers listed in Add/Remove programs will that uninstall the one I installed or all or 'em? Will version 78 reinstall automatically after a restart?

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

does anyone think that an asrock k8nf4g mobo will be any good for overclocking a semp 3400+?
    for ys and hows read on. i was going to get an agp 7600gt for £160 to my door, but after looking around i can get a new, said board, and a bfg 7600gt pci-e for less. now i intend to go dual core next year,d805 possibly a e6300, and after thinking about it, it would make more sense to go about upgrading this way instead of wasting the cash now on an agp then needing to get another gpu on pcie then.

thanks for the idea sam sorry for pesttering about the agp

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No sorry I posted the wrong link initially! Sorry! You'll get better performance upgrades with PCIe that's for sure. Sockets may change but PCIe is here to stay for a while. A 60" screen??? <sobs> mind you, is it 768p or 1080p? :p Mine's 1200p and only 24"! Beat that!

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    My experience with overclocking any Asrock MB has been poor. Know a guy in another forum who bought one for a Conroe and it wouldn't OC worth a damn because there were no voltage adjustments for the CPU or memory. BioStar also has a GeForce6100-M7 for a 754 and several other manufacturers have them as well but none of them give you much to work with overclocking wise. I'm even surprised that there is a socket 754 for that chip-set as the nVidia 6100/410 chipset is fairly new! BTW! I've had 2 complete MB failures in the last 1 1/2 years and both of them were Asrocks. Niether of them lasted a full year!

The only good thing I can say about them is they are a 35 min. drive from where I live! They don't like to do "walk-ins" but they will begrudgingly take care of you!

That's a socket 754 MB so it's pretty much a dead end as far as CPU upgrades go. You can go up to an A64, but finding one better than what you have might be iffy. It also doesn't support dual channel memory.

theone

14. crowy

crowy Guest

Niobis,uninstall the drivers(all of them).
    Reload the drivers you know that work then leave it.
    Sounds like that card may be locked or just not want to overclock at all.

15. Niobis

Niobis Active member

That's what I'm asking. How would I go about reloading them?

I just gave up on overclocking. It seems that isn't the only thing I can't do. I can't change alot of my system settings, such as default browser, hardware settings, ect. I posted the problem in the Windows General forum. Had some solutions on what to do, but nothing fixed it. I even called Alienware and asked them and they tell me the same thing a few others told me in the Windows forum. I don't know what to do, so I'm just going to have to work around these annoyances until I format maybe next year. Even then, I don't know for sure if that will fix anything. Oh well!

16. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thanks for the input theonejrs, im not looking for a long time fix as i hope hope to upgrade all my rig next year. i just need to get a new board after a lightning strike yesterday took out the lan socket on this board and running it thru usb is slower, i was in the market for a new graphics card anyway, and can get this board and a bfg 7600gt oc for £2 more than i was going to pay for a 7600gt agp at stock speeds

the reason i asked was the board says it does "hybrid booster" http://www.autdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Socket_754.html
    which is there ocing thingie.
    but its the only board for 754 that i can get my hands on quickly that has pci-e.
    i will let you know what its like after i have one.
    thanks phil

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I'm not all that awed by the seeming quality of Asrock stuff either to be honest, and no value board is going to overclock well.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,

See if you can get your hands on one of these!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138266
    I've just done a couple with the socket 939 version (M9) and the result was a very fast computer with an A64 3800+ in it. It doesn't OC well as is the case with most inexpensive motherboards, because it lacks most of the bells and whistles of better motherboards. It has a PCIe x16 slot for your video and has S-ATA. It also does RAID-0, RAID-1 and JOBD It also has a software overclocking utility. It has about the best on-board video I've ever seen so you could sell the old computer without having to supply a PCIe video card with it. It will also use your DDR400 memory. I highly recomend this MB for an inexpensive upgrade! BTW! The manual sucks!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah for that price it's amazing!

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    It only lacks 1 vital ingredient to be a great MB, You can't change the CPU multiplier. If you could do that, it would be a fantastic buy. The real crime is that everything else is there. You can change all the Hyper-Transport settings, voltages, memory timings, Etc!

The BioStar GeForce6100-M9/A64 3800+ I just built is very fast stock, for a single core, 9996 (to be exact) MIPS! One strange thing I did come across is Sandra 2005 will not run with the S-ATA drives. 2007, works fine! 2005 worked with the P-ATA drive I initially used while I was waiting for the S-ATAs to come. My guess is 2005 doesn't have the support for this set-up.

The on-board video is the best I've ever seen and it's very fast. I played Quake and Quake II on it and it's better than my XFX 5200 8x AGP card! Marsey99 would be very happy with the M7 version!

Haooy Computering,
    theone