1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    Check my last post!

Russ

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Haha I see nvm then. Was writing mine as you posted yours :p

I still think the 940 would be a good bet though. It's still $20 cheaper than the 955 and should OC to about the same speeds.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    Sam hit a home run with this one! LOL He was absolutely right! The C3 Stepping 955BE is the move to make. It and the C3 Stepping 965BE incorporate the newest technology, Run cooler, and Overclock easier on less voltage. They also use less wattage as well. For $20 more than the 940BE, it sure looks like a winner to me! I think it will be money well spent! While the price difference is slight between the 955BE and the 965BE, so is the performance difference. The 955BE overclocks easily to 4.0GHz with a minimal voltage increase, while you can get about 4.2GHz out of the 965BE. I just don't think 200MHz is going to make much of a difference, and I plan on mine running at 3.8GHz full time anyway. I saw one this morning running at 4.0GHz on one click above minimum voltage. It hit the mid to high 40C's fully stressed, and idles about 29-30C. Same MB as mine too!

The 955BE/C3 is my goal!

Russ

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Too bad about immaturity. There are 3 negative reviews. 2 of them probably haven't even purchased them(Possible Intel Fanboys), and the other gives a bad review for the shipping. Too bad...
    AMD 965

If you have a problem with the egg, at least take it up with them, you know? Don't give amd and/or phenom a bad egg for a bad delivery!

I think I may just get the 965, since russ is getting the 955. That way we can compare notes :) Besides, I wouldn't mind spending a little more for the flagship! We'll see anyway. Not sure yet. But I am extremely tempted :D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Oh I see your point Russ. Otherwise the 940 would be a better deal. Me love it long time ;P

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A little weak doesn't even begin to describe that PSU. It could potentially be lethal, no less so than your old AOpen unit. At least put in something safe, even if it isn't very good. I also dislike the case, but I suppose some sacrifices have to be made for low budget builds. The rest of the stuff is fine obviously.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    It just doesn't seem worth the extra $27 to me. Very few people are going to run one everyday at over 4.0GHz anyway. Besides, that's $27 less that I would need to come up with! $162 is easier to make than $189! Oh! I'm also cheap! LOL!! Besides, if I get the 955BE and you get the 965BE, we can compare performance, like you said!

Russ

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the 975be will be coming out soon :p

the newer 730BE x3 and the 555 x2 are coming out soon, and aparently AMD's yeild for quads are very very good right now, so much so that instead of selling failed cored as dual/tri core GPUs, they are having to disable the CPUs. this being said, these two products are looking to a very high percentage chance of both unlocking to quads, and overclocking very good.

well ofc with a mobo with a 710/750 SB.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    It was a Bare Bones kit, except for the HDD and ODD!. I'm not overly fond of the case or the PSU, but like you said, some sacrifices have to be made. Should be a loud mother with two 80mm fans working in push-me-pull-me fashion. The motherboard, CPU and memory are surprisingly solid, as are the HDD and ODD. I'll just have to live with the case and PSU!

Russ

10. Kokki99

Kokki99 Regular member

I've heard that the X2 550 also has a high propability for succesful core unlocking.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think the 955BE is the only Phenom black edition worth buying. The 965 and 975 don't really seem to clock much better.
    It doesn't surprise me that dual/tri core CPUs are intentionally disabled, this tends to happen when a given CPU manufacturing process matures after a few months, much like long before the E5,E7 and E8 series appeared all E6300s could be E6800s if Intel wanted them to be.
    Russ: Seriously though, do yourself a favour and change the PSU. Your last experience with a terrible PSU should have been enough.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

975!!! When does that one come out :D <----- Insane grin

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

14. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

After refusing to post for a while one afternoon everything got set back to stock since I had some work to do and now it's crashing at stock..... If this keeps up I might just bite the bullet and get the new system in early March instead of waiting for GF100 and a case I like.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Did you have the voltage set too high? I must admit, it's fairly rare to see a CPU quit. They're quite likely the toughest component! Can't wait to get the 965 going. I can only imagine the potential of that freak! :D

Things just keep getting worse and worse for me. I swear fate is trying to deny me this upcoming upgrade. Fat chance!!! It's happening no matter what! My car needs tires (400$), it's happening. I owe the dentist 200$, it's happening. My build costs upwards of 400$...ITS HAPPENING!!! One way or another. I'm probably gonna deny the collection agency any money though...LOL! They'll go to court and take 20% from my part time pay check. Whoopdy doo dah! :D I make money on the side anyway. Non taxed thank you very much!!!

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unless a CPU has been ruined by excessive voltages, it's unlikely (though possible) the CPU is at fault. Decaying overclocking performance, spanning into instability at stock is often a motherboard/memory issue.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Red_Maw,
    It sounds like the voltage had been set too high at some point. Once Electro-migration starts, it just continues to get worse. I had an E6750 that I hurt by turning up the wick to get it to run at 4GHz. After doing that, I kept having to add a little voltage every month or so, until I reached the 1.5v limit. I RMA'd the CPU after about a year. The replacement, which was never over volted, is still running strong 24/7, overclocked to 3.552GHz, and easily hit 3.8GHz with a minimal increase in voltage. It remains the only overclocked computer I ever sold!

Russ

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sorry russ. I don't believe I ever acknowledged what you said. Or at least pointed it out. I would never sell an overclocked PC. Perhaps select few people like you did, but otherwise generally no! Thanks for the advice anyway. I always take it very seriously!

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My Q9550 has been accidentally run at 1.6V on two occasions, once for a day and a half, again for just 10 minutes. So far so good, and the CPU's fast approaching 18 months old.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Perhaps the others that failed, had the right kind of...Defect (If you will) which didn't allow it to survive at those voltages. Essentially, your processor was built on a happy day :) People were doing their jobs correctly! I deal with that sort of thing all the time. People who care and people who don't. Wednesday's and Fridays seem to be our best days...