1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

i5s are supposed to be stupidly easy to OC. Because most of the stuff is integrated on-chip, the auto settings are much more reliable than on previous chips/boards. I would never trust any setting on my own board to auto. But with i5 it is designed to be used so I don't see why not.

Excellent results Sam glad to see you found the performance you were looking for. I doubt the low per-GPU PCI-e bandwidth is as harmful as you think either :p

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

nice setup will. i will give those numbers a go this weekend.

Sam, with this new board. UD3P 1.6rev i have everything in auto other than the MCH ive taken it up to 1.16v and im running at 3.83ghz with no problems at all.. with said bein in auto my vcor was a little high. it went up to 1.392v since i have gone and backed it down to 1.325v and is still fine. i beleive i can go lower on the vcore to keep this clock speed. i am like will stated going to go over 4.0ghz this weekend, well try anyways.lol

Will, i think your right it does have something to do with the newer bios mine is FD. just came out 11-23-09 id say it is even newer than yours.
    [​IMG]

i do know one thing. with this board everest doesnt recognize it. once i opend everest it had me do a log to send to everest to include this mobo. which i think is cause of the newer bios.

3. Kokki99

Kokki99 Regular member

I just ran my Q9550 @ 4420MHz (520x8.5) :p. Requires huge amounts of voltage 1.45V vcore and 1.7V for the NB. But I got what i wanted (new SuperPI and 3DMark 06 records which can be found from here) and i didn't break anything :).

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Playing with the new Phenom II 965BE C3 step.

1.325V
    20.17S - stock 3.4Ghz.
    19.765s - 3.5Ghz (17.5 X 200)
    19.282s - 3.6Ghz (18 x 200)
    18.814s - 3.7Ghz (18.5 x 200)

1.35V

18.814s - 3.7Ghz (18.5 x 200) + .025V = 1.35V.
    18.314s - 3.8Ghz (19 x 200)
    17.815s - 3.9Ghz (19.5 x 200)

1.40V
    17.534s - 4.0Ghz (20 X 200)

Was just curious as to numbers. Could care less about its current validity, if you know what I mean LOL! I realize that without either a voltage bump, or dry ice, it would not stay stable. Was merely curious. I have not even played with FSB, Nb frequency or ram yet. These scores are merely courtesy of the Multiplier.

This is an interesting read for those with Phenom II Cpu's. Apparently 4.6Ghz has been reached, while holding 1.4V!
    http://www.techreaction.net/2009/05/28/phenom-ii-am3-overclocking-essentials/

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Well...4Ghz crashed pretty quickly LOL! Prime 95 Bsod'd in about 2 seconds. I'll try 1.45V next, and see what happens. But from what I've read, voltage is not necessarily the issue.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, reasonable progress so far. If you can get 4Ghz, you're past the 'easy zone' for Phenom IIs. The voltage requirements do increase exponentially though, and not all CPUs are as good for volts as each other. Assuming you have a good cooler, don't be afraid to turn it up a little higher if you want test numbers.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow, I forgot how picky Ram can be LOL! I tried inputting its proper Timings, and well...it didn't like that. It almost sounded like it was stuck in a restart loop. I read that someone was able to set 8/8/8/24 so I tried that. So far it seems to like that. In fact it shaved nearly a tenth second off Super pi. I read on that prior link, that 3.8Ghz can fair better, if the northbridge is set properly. I think I'm gonna attempt that.
    This is my cooler

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ouch, that's not a big cooler for the heat behemoth that is a Phenom II, I assume you're using the 125W version not the 140 :p
    How are the temps?

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Indeed. Its a 125W TDP. This cooler used to cool the 940. The 940 is now cooled by the 965's stock cooler. It seems to be fairing well with it. For the whole hour that I ran it. I discovered that I wouldn't be using my so called new ssd, so I had to take its HDD for my primary system for the time being. The Cores and CPU are hovering around 48C idle(1400Rpm). When I run a stress test, the temperature rapidly climbs, causing the RPMs to rise. From what I noticed, the CPU temperature stopped climbing at about 58C. But it blue screened so...

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

2400Rpms, 52C. 10Second bsod. But at the rate it climbed and slowed, I can't see it getting hotter than 58-60C. But at those awful Rpms. So if I game GTA IV, I really should consider a different cooler. Eh, I hate this cooler anyway. Its a prick to install. Plus one of the corners is broken...

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

48C idle is a little worrying, since the Phenoms are meant to be quite efficient at idle
    My main concern though is that to clock the CPU high you'll need to up the voltage to a point where thermal runaway will occur, the rate heat enters the cooler will exceed that which it can remove it - the temperature will never stop rising until you reach the emergency shutdown temperature.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I did shut off cool and quiet...

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Still, my i5 750 upped to 1.36V does not retain its energy saving features, and yet it idles at 30ºC, considering the ambient tempertaure must be at least 24ºC, that's quite a landmark difference in Delta T. I'd recommend trying to get a tower cooler to progress further, especially if you say the mount is dodgy, which could potentially come off at some stage.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Everest stated during install, that more or less my motherboard was not recognized. So it could be misinterpreting the sensor.
    You're right though. I want to run this CPU beyond the 940, so I should definitely consider a different cooler. Do you have any to recommend me? I don't like the way newegg categorized the cpu coolers. Am3 Coolers are not organized very good at all. I realize that probably most AM2/AM2+ coolers are the same.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Something like the Noctua NH-U12P, pretty sure that fits AM3.

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Xigmatek I perceive as the 'poor man's' tower cooler, it's rather poorly made, it has a design flaw that weakens its cooling performance but it is of course cheaper. A middle man between standard size coolers like the freezer 7 and 'proper' tower coolers like the NH-U12.
    It would probably suffice for your 965 overclocking efforts, but I don't like relying on cheap tacky things when it comes to such important jobs as CPU cooling.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You stand by the efficiency of the Noctua then eh. LOL! If you think it can cool very well at low rpms, then it must be worth that much.

Oh geeze! I think I'm looking at the backplate on the bottom of my motherboard :p Apparently AMD boards have a back-plate pre-installed.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Noctua is every bit as good as the TRUE, which is an awesome cooler. It's just pricey because you get two fans with it as standard. Sadly, Thermalright stuff seems even more expensive in the US than it is here.
    Suffice to say, the peak cooling performance of 120mm coolers is achieved at around 1500rpm fan speed. The fans provided with the NH-U12 are 1300rpm but high-output (9-blade), so are about the optimum performance. They're far from silent, but still much quieter than a Freezer 7 roaring at full speed, even when there's two of them running at once.
    As for the AMD boards with a backplate, I suspect that most of them do except the cheap ones, and that said backplate must be present for the cooler to fit.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Most higher end AMD board will have a backplate built in.

If you don't want the Noctua there's always the Tuniq 120. Currently using 2 and I will swear by them ;P