1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Freezer 7's fan suffers the same issue as a lot of PWM fans in that it becomes slightly faster as it gets worn in. My Freezer 7 started with a maximum speed of 2450rpm. By the time I stopped using it, which must have been around 9-10 months, it was 2750rpm.
    The same goes for the fans on my 4870X2s, they started at 4950rpm and 5050rpm maximum, now they're 5200rpm and 5650rpm. In both of these cases the pitch of the fan and the noise it made was noticeably altered.
    There is also a strange effect that can happen whereby 'maximum' speed with manual control or fan control disabled is lower than automatic fan speed can reach.
    The stock cooler I got off shaff for example is an extreme edition cooler. I don't have a motherboard compatible with speedfan, but using 100% in Easytune with it, or leaving fan control disabled earned 3500rpm (I could verify this by the noise it made). Yet leaving it auto, turning my case fans right down and working the CPU hard, I managed to get it as high as 4150rpm on one occasion.
    If you look at the design of the heatsink and fan for the Freezer 7 and Freezer 64 though, across the revisions, they're essentially identical. The only thing that could change the cooling performance is the thermal paste, and the only thing that could change the noise would be fan bearings. We're talking negligible differences in both characteristics. I imagine the new version cooling better and being quieter is a placebo, or a follow-on from the improved cooling of new thermal paste.

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

First, I've always used AS Ceramique. Performs the same as Silver V so paste isn't an issue. Also, my Tuniq has NEVER reached its maximum of 2000RPM under PWM auto. After several hours of full load it hits maybe 1400RPM and that is well below my acceptable noise threshold.

My AC Freezer 64 Pro never hit its maximum under PWM either. It topped at about 2000 under Orthos load.

The new Arctic Freezers have gotten quieter indeed. But the cooling performance doesn't seem to have changed much. AFAIK they've always just been the best middle-of-the-road cooler. No more, no less.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    It used to be great when you would find them on sale for $16.99 with free shipping. Now it's more like $26 and up! I used EasyTune to adjust the fan so that it never goes below 1100, and never goes higher than 1700. That seems to suit the dry air here. Anything above 1700, and it doesn't cool as well, unless it's a rainy day. This year we had had more rain in January, than we had in the last 9 years, combined! Using all 4 cores in OCCT, it barely breaks 40C for the CPU! I borrowed the Thermal probe and the CPU says 40-41C. It's a lot more accurate than the sensors on the motherboard.

I've also done a lot of experimenting with the fans. When I first built it, the 7750 would hit 62C maxed out with Orthos running both cores. I got that down to 52C. With my Quad it would hit 52, but I changed the lower side cover fan back to an intake after I removed the "Gigabyte Covers" from the NB and VRM coolers, balancing out the exhaust air with the 80mm Silverstone, set to 1300. It's a little bit of a trade off, as the HDD temps go up a few degrees, while the CPU and motherboard go down. The HDD temps are still way lower than they were with F/R HDD bays, so I doubt it's a problem.

The biggest problem I don't have an answer for is the motherboard temps. The 16x PCI-E slot is right next to the Northbridge, and the video card does radiate lots of heat from the back side of the card. I'm tempted to try the other PCI-E slot, just to get the heat away from the NB. I guess it couldn't hurt to try it! Anything to get all that heat away from the NB.

I'm going to move the video card and see if that helps!

Stay Tuned,
    Russ :)

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Move the video card? Don't you have to have it in the top slot? Or is it simply recommended...

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Have any of you fine people used STG1 compound?
    Supposedly its easier to work with(Less viscous). And might even cool better than arctic 5!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I just looked in the manual. It's 16x as a single and 8x in CrossFire. It's the hottest time of the day right now and it dropped the motherboard temp 2C. The NB voltage is set to normal, as is the NB VID voltage. I also had to re-install the video card software. I checked in system information in Sandra and it says 16x!

Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Generally I prefer non-conductive paste because I make such a mess, but Arctic's paste tubes tend to be the easiest to use. MX-2/3, OCZ Freeze and the likes are trickier to apply. However, they seem to get the best results these days.
    I'm surprised to hear the Tuniq coolers came with 2000rpm fans, I thought they were 1500, but there we go.
    Omega: You can use any card in the lower slot as long as it's full 16x electrical, which most boards are unless there are 3 or more PCIe slots. I actually used my 4870X2 in the lower slot for ease of use in my X38-DS4.

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Non-conductive all the way for me. I tend to be pretty clean with it but I won't take the chance. I still use the dot in the center method and it has never done me wrong. Perfectly even, paper-thin coverage and no extra goopage out the side :p

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    The big problem with all of these thermal pastes, including Arctic Silver 5, is that eventually they all separate. Ceramique get's stiffer and is hard to squeeze out of the syringe. I'll never buy the large sized one again. I had to put some in a Dappen Dish (very tiny little bowl about 1" across), and mix it with a flat toothpick before I apply it. It was loads of fun putting it on all the VRMs in my MB! No heat problem there at all as the heatsink barely get's warm to the touch. The NB part feels hot, although it is better since I moved the video card.

I may try one of these coolers, but I'll have to make a custom bracket for one side to reach the hole.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233021
    Noctua had one that had two pipes, but it's flat which places it right against the CPU cooler. The XIGMATEK is off set to one side, so I can slip a fan in between it and the CPU cooler or on the opposite side if need be. Something like this.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129028
    Or this.
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6...0C8D-29K1-GP_-_488CFM.html?tl=g36c15s58#blank

Russ

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As it turns out, I never used the NC-U6 I bought off a friend... :S

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That Zalman grease compound is sure getting good reviews. I thought I'd ask :p From the sounds of things, people like a really thin layer of thermal compound. I'd probably get better temperatures if I reapplied the stuff. Im pretty sure its older than 2 yrs though. Its pretty thick stuff. Becoming difficult to work with. So I'll get more, and go with a new heat sink anyway. Because I suspect a very hot summer. And I want my 965 to chill LOL!
    What compound is gonna give me maximum effectiveness? I suspect its a matter of opinion, but I sure would like you fine peoples opinions ;)

This is incredible! Now my next build, I just may do this. Somebody says that Pugetsystems has the first one, and its been running for 2yrs. The fans apparently still work!
    Mineral Oil Computer

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Someone built one of those a couple of years ago with a modified clear acrylic case. Worked pretty good, but was heavy as hell! Imagine how much 4-5 gallons of mineral oil weighs! LOL!!

Russ

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Since I work at UPS, I see packages heavier than even a 6 gallon mineral oil computer would weigh :p Actually a pretty big guy ;) 6'5" 205lbs.
    Russ, what compound do you use to get such low temps? Just your basic arctic 5?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's no reason not to get good temperatures like that with a low voltage, a properly fitted cooler and so on. Remember, the X4 630 is a 95W chip and that makes a big difference.

15. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

95W eh. That's certainly true. Sam, what compound do YOU use?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Whatever seems to be lying around. I currently use Arctic MX-2/MX-3. I forget which I used on my i5. MX-something :p

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sold! The MX-2 is getting very good reviews. Somebody says it conducts heat very good :D

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A 2200rpm 120mm fan with a translucent frame. That's going to wake the neighbours you realise...

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! ok. What were your thoughts on the Tuniq extreme. It's getting decent reviews. Somebody said its quiet even at max! Unfortunately, some fool said its bad a$$ and yet gave it 1 egg. Didn't even buy it from newegg. He only reviewed to teach how to apply thermal compound. I hate it when people do that. People want legitimate reviews...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154011

Oh, you stated that the extreme is rubbish! Wonder why...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010