1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

New version of Everest still causes interrupts. I can't play MP3s with everest open or the playback gradually gets slower and more corrupted. Closing everest still corrupts all sound output into garbage for 3-4 seconds. These interrupts also still pollute memory so you have to reboot to clear their effects.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thats more or less what I meant LOL! :p

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Forgive me but I have been out of tune on the forums lately. What CPU Mobo & chipset are we working with here? I You are on the right track and sounds like you're working with older X38/X48 Core 2/2 quad based mobo. I have covered some overclocking tip with core 2 quads on early P35, X38/X48 chipsets and the limitations due to lack of advanced BIOS settings. Now X48 and certain mobos, ASUS & DFI to speak of with experience, have made these BIOS tweaks more available for Core 2 Quad OC. 1 of the other big volt settings to adjust for is CPU PLL. Now on lesser chipsets you only get control of one set. but the advance or more modern BIOS allow 2 sets of PLL for cores 1~2 & 3~4 so you can stable out the sets of cores on an overclock.

Research CPU PLL in relation to CPU and NB VID ratios. EDIT:And yes, during any above average overclocking, we do want to disable each EIST, any BIOS Turbo settings, as well as each CPU/PCI-E Speed Spectrum disabled for the Intel based systems, so you are on the right track.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

This is an Athlon II X4...

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Oops, I missed that. I have no personal experience yet with teh AMD X4's yet. I do know that my older X2 6400 BE was a heat beast at 3.56GHz and I can only imagine what kind of heat and vcore you will need to get there. I was hitting 65c easy w/ a ThermalRight Ultra 120 w/ dual fans in push/pull 85cfm.

Keep us posted on whare you get. Do these newer series run a lot cooler now?

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

NuckNFuts,
    here's the particulars for you on my computer.

CPU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103704

Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8387&cm_re=MA790X-UD4P-_-13-128-387-_-Product

Memory
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145214

I was pretty much surprised by the performance, as it was much better than I expected. I've got it running great at 3.5GHz. It will go higher, but I don't want to overvolt the CPU. Not the ideal CPU, but for $108, it's pretty tough to beat! Encoding is a breeze with DVDRB/CCE. I would like to put a Phenom II 955BE in it and see what it can do. As the prices keep going down, it's only a matter of time before I do just that! LOL!!

Best Regards,
    Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

AMD have made some reasonable strides in heat output with the lower end chips, after all, the 630 is a quad core, and still shares the 95W TDP of their dual cores of old. However, that 95W is clearly only at stock voltages which can only overclock so far. Fortunately the Athlon IIs seem reasonably adept at overclocking compared to their bigger, and more power hungry Phenom II brothers as the voltage clock speed ceilings are similar, but the Athlons start at a lower clock speed.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Nuck,
    I would say they run a lot cooler than the old Athlon's.

[​IMG]

Even stressed with all 4 cores in OCCT, it doesn't come close to getting very hot. Even the Athlon x2 7750 ran 10C cooler than the 64x2 4800+ did in the same case with Oxi-II. It seems the older ones wanted to idle around mid 40s. I'm using a Freezer 64 to cool the CPU. It just doesn't need more cooler than that, even overclocked 700MHz to 3.5GHz. I've used an IR Temperature probe to confirm the results, and they are quite accurate.

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

If I could get my Tuniq 120 tower to average 1200 Rpms, I'd probably match your temps russ. Unfortunately, my Tuniq likes either 200Rpms, or 1500+. Really doesn't bother me though. I may get a front 5.25" bay fan controller, and control most of my fans manually. I think it could be an educational experience ;) And I really need to move my GPU down to the lower slot. I believe it could help BOTH temps. We'll see...

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

er, usually higher rpm means lower temperatures, not higher...

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The Brisbane cores CPUs were much better with heat. My 5000+BE at 3.2GHz hit 48*C max load with Orthos. With an Arctic Freezer 64...

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Some were and some weren't. The 4800+ Brisbane ran hotter than your 5000+BE. The Athlon x2 7750 at a higher clock runs much cooler than either. You could cook with a Windsor! LOL!!

Russ

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I think my Windsor 5200 averages 48-50C under load, stock cooler.

Sam, What I meant was that it doesn't hold 1500Rpms. Its up and down as needed. It'll act like it stops, then the temp will go up a degree or two, and kick the fan back up. If it were to hold a consistent 1200+ it would no doubt run cooler.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

hmm, possibly, but the onboard fan controllers used on every Gigabyte board I've had (can't speak for other brands) is very broad. Depending on the temperature of the CPU, there must be 30+ different fan speeds. When I had a very noisy CPU fan I loaded up the CPU heavily and listened for each change in pitch, there were dozens before it reached top speed. If your CPU temperature fluctuates a degree or two, it shouldn't dramatically change the fan speed. If it does, the CPU temperature is probably varying a great deal, implying that you are either heavily stressing the CPU (burn tests will raise the temperature of a CPU 20 celsius the instant you begin them), or your CPU cooler isn't working properly, which I doubt, since your temps would be higher if that was the case.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Oh for sure. The 7750 beats them both in heat easily. With the same cooler mine was topping 42*C load. It even idled a bit cooler at around 26-27 vs 28-30 for the Brisbane.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For me, lower temperatures are an ability to cut the noise further. When I have my fans at medium speed I can idle my CPU at 27C. Meaning, I can turn the fans off and keep it below 40. It's my hope that the efficiency of the new 5970s will be such that I don't need to use my case fans at such monstrous speeds and noise levels. I'm also eyeing up a Sapphire version of the 5970 with a new cooler due to be unveiled at Cebit. Here's hoping it's a quiet one!

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My room temperature feels about 72F in here.

When the indicated temperatures begin to rise, the fan kicks back up in speed. I wonder why the CPU sensor isn't more recognized. Like the GPU for instance. Everest AND speedfan seem to not know what the sensors are. You'd think the CPU temp sensor would be more obvious...
    [​IMG]

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    These are the custom settings I use with EasyTune6.

[​IMG]

It narrowed the range of the CPU fan to between 1100 and 1700 rpm. It will run as slow as 900 and it will reach 1800, but normally it works between 1100 and 1700 RPM. You can watch the speeds go up and down very smoothly, so there's no sudden jump in rpms, so no audible noticeable change in pitch at all. You can barely hear it running at 1700 rpm, and you do have to listen very hard. I have no doubt that you can hear it on your computer, because your other fans are run slower than mine, so they are quieter than mine.

All I can say, is that it does work extremely well the way I have it set. The only time you can hear the Freezer 64 at all is when it get's to 1750 rpm or above. The only thing I don't like about the new fan on it, is that it's deeper, so memory slot 3 is closer to the fan. No problem with standard height DIMMs, but tall ones like my Dominators can't be used in slots 1 and 2 at all. I think the results I've posted demonstrate that it works very well this way! it does work much better and runs much cooler and quieter than letting the bios control the CPU fan speed.

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I think it's because of all the different sensor types. That and Everest all but ignored AMD for the past few years. Now that AMD has gotten more competitive, they have some catching up to do. As it happens, it's also 72F/22C in here right now. Here's my temps!

[​IMG]

If I turn EasyTune off, the CPU temp climbs about 2C, because the Fan speed drops to 900 rpm. 1100 rpm cools the CPU better at idle than 900 rpm does! It's as simple as that!

best Regards,
    Russ

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well it would, but that for me is +1 for not using the EasyTune program, at least at those settings. It's quieter at idle, and the extra two celsius aren't going to affect performance...