1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah actually that doesn't surprise me. The FX5200s are getting on a bit and were never fast to start with. However, if you think the 6100 is good, try a 6150!

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,

For a few dollars more, this model does it all! I was looking through the reviews and noticed that any time someone mentioned overclocking, this MB got raves!!! Lots of claims that this is the best socket 754 MB for overclocking! Check it out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138268

Happy Computering,
    theone

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

5/5 for 220 reviews, can't be bad!

4. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    There may be a bios update or 3rd party bios that addresses that issue??

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    I did in fact look for other later bios versions and 3rd party fixes. Being that it's socket 754 with the 6100/410 chipset I don't think there will be much support forthcoming. Even the newer socket 939 doesn't have anything available, bios wise. The bios upgrades for the "T" series, which uses the same chipset are not compatable with either the 6100-M9 or the 6100-M7 motherboards.

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  6. crowy

crowy Guest

Intel documents reveal two quad-core processors within the next six months

For those of you who hadn't seen this coming -- you should have -- Intel's desktop quad-core "Core 2" processor is on the way. Intel's most recent launch update claims the chip will come in two iterations, the first of which will be here in November 2006. Both chips have Socket 775 packaging and utilize a 1066MHz front-side bus.

The Extreme Edition 2.66GHz chip, dubbed Core 2 Extreme QX6700, is poised to launch this year in November. Like other "Extreme" chips from Intel, the estimated price tag is $999 for the new processor. The CPU is compatible with all second-generation Conroe-compatible Intel 975X motherboards, but not all "965" series motherboards. Unfortunately, there are no more details on which motherboards are compatible yet.

A mainstream quad-core Kentsfield will launch early next year, dubbed the Core 2 Quadro Q6600, and will debut with a 2.4GHz core frequency. A price tag for the Q6600 has not been set yet, but the processor will retail for less than the QX6700 but more than the Core 2 Duo E6700. The E6700 has a street price of approximately $530 USD, but price cuts will bring the cost of the CPU down before the Q1'07 launch of mainstream Kentsfield.

Intel's original launch scheduled claimed that only the Q6600 would launch next year. This has been revised several times by Intel representatives who have publically pre-empted AMD's quad-core plans. AMD retaliated earlier this year stating that quad-core demonstrations would come before the end of the year. Given that AMD has a traditional habit of demonstrating its new processor technology during the Intel Developer Forums (IDF) that occur twice annum, it's quite likely that we will see these first demonstrations at next week's IDF.

A server version of Kentsfield, dubbed Clovertown, is also expected to ship this year with Socket 771 packaging.

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

sorry guys but iv already been and got it and an asus7600gtand i havent seen your post because my rig was in bits. the reason i asked about this board was in an article i read about budget pcs the got a 50% oc on this board with a semp 2800, now mines a 3400 but i want to see what it will do my last board wouldnt do more than 2ghz which is stock on this cpu.

now every thing seems to working fine at the min so i am going to give it a few days to see if any probs arise then i plan to drop my ram to 133mhz, up the htt to 300mhz and lock the pcie to 100mhz. is there any thing that iv missed or should i take smaller steps?

i saw cpz images in octobers custompc and andrew edwards already has kentsfields runing @3ghz but it says they are e6700s but there is 4 of them there.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Here's an interesting thing. Sandra 2005 no longer works! I have it on 4 computers in the house and the only computer it works on is my Dell C610 laptop. That is to say that it did until I hooked it up to the internet. Now it no longer works either. Is SiSoft torpedoing it on the net? I'm going to try and remove it and re-install it from the original files on my hard drive and see what happens. I'm betting on SiSoft having something to do with it! I don't like software companies dictating what I can and can not use!!! I prefer 2005 to 2007 for a variety of reasons and it ticks me off that it is now crippled so it won't launch!

Happy Computering,
    theone

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Correct, mine doesn't work any more either!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  10. crowy

crowy Guest

Mine either!!

11. crowy

crowy Guest

Iv'e tried to uninstall sandra with "your uninstaller",cleaned the registry with 3 registry cleaners,run cc cleaner,run ewido anti-spyware,protector plus 2000 anti-virus, disconnected from the net and then installed 2007.STILL DOESN"T WORK!!!!
    Do you think it's been disabled by sisoftware or could it be a new virus(the sandra virus??)
    Or could a windows update have caused a problem??

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2006
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To my knowledge, no windows updates have happened on my machine since I last used 2005 a few days ago. I think it's been remotely disabled.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Here's SiSoft's answer,

The digital certificate Sandra 2005 was signed with has expired. All certificates expire sometime and we haven't renewed this one as it does not work with Vista*.

This means the digital signature is invalid and thus the program will no longer run.

Don't take our word for it, go into Sandra's folder and do a Properties with Explorer on Sandra.exe, etc. and check the Digital Certificates tab.

Thank you.

--

C. Adrian Silasi
    SiSoftware (EU)

Well that kind of sucks! 2005 is a better program than 2007 in my opinion. It's much easier to see the effects of small changes with, and the test window is able to be opened to full screen so you can see what you are comparing to!

If you set the date in Windows to before 09/23/06, it will work!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

LOL! That's funny, and to think I've bypassed Antivirus subscription renewals that way! change clock, do update and then put clock back!

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I don't think that will work as it's certificate has expired! I just set the date back and it works!

Happy Computering,
    theone

16. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

iv not had the balls to do any thing yet, had a good look at the bios and there isnt much that i cant change or lock. now iv done a bit of searching and some say drop the ram up the bus and others say change the multiplier some say abit of both. my head hurts.

iv never oced before what do you advise?

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oh Crowy,

Marsey99 needs your help! I don't know enough about overclocking AMDs to give advice! I can OC the hell out af an Intel but have yet to learn about the ins and outs of the AMDs!

Happy Computering,
    theone

18. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

semp 3400+ palermo (stock hsf)
    asrock k8nf4g-vsta
    512x2 single sided ddr400 value select
    asus en7600gt
    toshiba dl dvdrw x8
    250g samsung spinpoint sata
    generic 300w psu with 8cm fan(@ top)
    12cm fan x 2, 1 front 1 back.
    temps 34/35 to 43/44 idle to after gaming. id never seen it above 41 till i put it in this board with new gcard.

next on the shopping list is new psu and a heat sink. i was thinking of the evo 33 hs but not sure on psu

19. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    I'll get back to marsey99 in a while.
    For now here's a workaround for sandra:
    Download this:
    http://www.wonderworks.ca/nbia/dc20000.zip
    Install the program then do this:

1.Click on add then just type in sandra.
    2.On simulated run date type in September 22 2006.
    3.On the box at the bottom,click it then go to your sandra.exe file located where you installed sandra.
    4.Click open.
    5.Click run.
    Now you will see it works again...forever!!!
    However,the sandra icon on your desktop still won't open sandra because date cracker has to be running so...
    Delete the sandra shortcut from your desk top and change the name of the date cracker icon to sandra.Then all you need to do to run sandra is click your new sandra icon then click run!

Should look like this:
    [​IMG]

Regards crowy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2006
  20. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,
    Firstly,I assume you know how to clear your cmos in case your computer crashes/locks up and it won't boot.
    If you do,lets go.
    Drop the memory down to 133mhz as you mentioned.That will eliminate the memory causing problems when you raise the bus speed.Don,t jump straight from 200mhz to 300 mhz thats way to much to start with.I would try 220 then 230 then go up in 5mhz increments from there.Once your computer fails to boot or becomes unstable Increase your cpu vcore .02v and try again.If you still get errors drop it back 5mhz and try again until you can boot into windows.If you get above 250mhz drop the LDT multi to 3 to avoid overclocking the HTT bus speed.Once you are at the stage where you can boot into windows,take note of your cpu frequency,then restart your computer go back into your bios and drop the cpu multi to 9x.Now increase the fsb in 5 mhz increments again until you can no longer get into windows then drop it back 5mhz.
    Try to boot into windows again,if your succesful thats good,if not dropping by 5 mhz until you get into windows.Compare your max cpu speed @10x with your max cpu speed @9x multi and let me know the results.Remember,you may not be stable yet but what we just did was find out if your cpu will run faster on a 10x multi or a 9x multi.

Try this to start with then we will do some stability tests then work on the memory.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2006