1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I got all this straight from AMD, on their forum. Turn the damn NB and HT link voltage up to 1.30v! ROFL!! BTW, if you set the CPU voltage too high, it won't post! The down side is you have to pull the battery to clear the CMOS! When mine wouldn't post on Auto, running at stock speed, I manually dropped the CPU voltage to 1.350v, and it booted right up!

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ho ho! My super pi is the quickest I've seen yet! Even 4Ghz never reached this before.
    Super pi 17.706s.

Notice I wasted no time with my sig :)

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Mine will run at 3.9GHz, but the Freezer 64 runs out of cooling at that point. Still, not bad at 3.8 with a 130w cooler. Sam figures it's drawing about 160w, I figured it to 150w, so I'm officially splitting the difference and calling it 155w! LOL!! I'm ordering the Noctua tomorrow! Of course I'll have to wait a few days for Noctua to send me the 90 degree adapter kit, but at least it's free!

Russ

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Omega it seems you got alittle added extra's in your Voltage columns than me?
    [​IMG]
    Russ is right,Try raising your northbridge volts 1.30v for it, and 1.30v for the CPU NB VID voltage.and see what happen seems to me. I needed not to be that high for a stable Oc Reason. I don't know in your case it may just be memory issues don't be afriad to loosen that memory up alittle and every body trys that Auto thing in Oc'ing that don't work No#1 it raises Voltage higher than need be the key is to figure out a stable voltage to run on a Oc at lowest possible and another thing when you changing the clock speed on your cpu your also changing the mhz on your memory so that may take some loosing up my sometimes you get lucky and can keep it tight but how race car drivers say loose is fast and tight is slow.lol

Ok smart'ee without the pants.lol I would like to see a 15 passes LinX test with a 1280 memory use then and lets see what happen's? now you got me curious

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2010
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    I repeat! I got these settings from AMD! NB 1.30v, CPU NB VID 1.30v. It's solid, even Linpack doesn't kill it! 10 passes, no problems! Cores never went above 63C, and the CPU never went over 60C. I've done evrything I can think of to kill it, but it just won't quit! It even folds perfectly!

Russ

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    Decided to try it at 3.9GHz, so here's some screens at 3.9GHz
    CPUZ

[​IMG]

SuperPi

[​IMG]

It's pretty cool this morning, but I still have one eye on the temps! LOL!! I didn't do any tweaking at all, just bumped the multiplier up to 19.5. I'll let it run for a while this way, and see what the temps do! It is quite snappy though!

Russ

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ, there's a newer CPU-Z out that will recognize your processor better ;)

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    I don't see any difference! I installed it. but nothing changed! LOL!! Maybe it's needed for Win7! ROFL!!

Russ

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Your CPU-Z is calling your processor a AM2+, when it's a AM3 cpu. Did that not change?

10. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I thought AM2+ referred to the socket type and not the cpu?

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Mmm, if his board is AM2+/AM3 that would probably explain things...

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I'm actually thinking that 3.9 is pretty darn good. I don't know if 4.0 is stable at current settings. Probably not. My Vcore is pretty low as it is. And things are already pretty warm. CCE use to encode at 44C, now it encodes at 50C. If I were to get water cooling, I would be lucky to hit 4.3! VERY lucky LOL! And even if it were to hit 4.3, the difference would be small for what I use this PC for ;) 3.9Ghz seems to be a very happy medium. Depending on the temps I see this summer, I doubt I'll go to water cooling on this CPU. Perhaps with the hexacore CPU ;) Or the possible 12 core behemoth coming eventually :D
    3.9 is FAST! Noticeable speed increase in EVERYTHING I run. Applications are opening quicker, Aero disables, and re-enables rapidly. CCE is running 10-15% quicker than stock. I think I landed the optimal clock here ;)

13. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ok ive tried t oget the newest version of IBT. i cant get it to work for me. this is the error i keep getting.
    [​IMG]

every time ive tried this version i get this error.

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Blue window? What is that? Oh! I remember. XP right? LOL!!! Just funnin with ya ;)

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    And to think, I bothered with downloading it because I thought it might be an improvement! ROFLMSOAO!!

Russ

16. david94

david94 Regular member

hi
    i got a core i7 system with a problem. i use the stock cooler that came with the 920 and the idle temperature is 50oc. i am thinking of getting a collermaster v8 to cool it down. after that overclock my system, what temperature do you reckon this could get to?

Dave

17. im1992

im1992 Regular member

What kind of overclock should I expect on an i7 980 with the stock cooler? Or with a Zalman 9700 which I reckon won't be that good of a cooler for the 6 core CPU anyways?
    -im1992

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The CNPS9700 is actually worse than the stock cooler provided with an i7 980X.

19. im1992

im1992 Regular member

Ahh I see, I figured....
    So what kind of overclock should I expect? Is 3.6GHz something that I can do easily w/o burning stuff?
    -im1992

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I would imagine so, keep an eye on the temps of course.