1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It's not the VRM? Maybe a heatsink isn't seated properly.
    I have that board in my secondary. If you get it running, its a wonderful board. I use it and the 940 encoding X264/MP4 files. It'll probably get the 965 eventually, when I get the 1090t. Or perhaps its successor ;)
    I suppose the power supply could be faulty though too. I had a similar issue with one. The PSU's fan quit, and would heat up after about 3 minutes. Which would cause windows to completely lock up. Probably due to the CPU not getting power...

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Right well my friend is extremely absent minded so human error is very likely. But he's nopt stupid and I know the board was working fine before so it could be many things. Like I said, first step will be reseating the chipset and VRM sinks.

Also, this started right after installing a Coolit Eco so it is possible the VRM wasnt getting proper airflow...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I'm absent minded myself. About some things anyway. I'm just not a people person :p
    Installed a coolit eh. Probably is some kind of airflow issue then ;) At least my Haf932 isn't suffering from airflow deficiency. I would have to TRY to remove air from the haf LOL!

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Why on Earth would anyone run Linpac for that long in the first place. The most I've ever heard of anyone running Linpac is 15 passes, and that was Will.

Let's start from square 1! What make and model is the Motherboard and CPU? What are your temperatures?

Russ

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Just FYI I am currently making this post using said Gigabyte board. Seems fine to me so far... next couple hours will tell me if my theories are correct. User error might have been the problem here. He was running some wrong settings for his OC and the 2.1v RAM was running at 1.8v... Can't say for sure though. We'll see what the future holds.

I do know the dumbass tried running other CPUs in the board to see what would work and couldn't get it to POST. Yeah he was still running his OC settings for a completely different chip >.<

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Oh damn...

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Just another update. Chipset temps are looking fine and said board just passed 10 runs of IBT on high stress with my 940 OCd to 3.4GHz. I think I may have a fully working board...

It does idle a little warm, but the load temps were just fine. I would chalk the warm idles up to the weather. Everything has been getting a little warm lately...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I did see your last post, but decided to answer it here, because all the pertinent stuff is in this post. 1.8v for 2.1v ram probably wouldn't post. It definitely wouldn't post at 3.4GHz! That's one of the reasons I bought 1.8v Ram for the 4 GB I'm going to install in Oxi! Less heat with 1.8v Ram, is the other. My 955 won't will post, but won't boot up with the default settings, because on Auto the CPU voltage is 1.40v, and that's too high. Lower the CPU voltage to 1.325v, and it boots right up! Two very important settings for a decent overclock are the Northbridge Volt Control and the CPU NB VID Control, both are set to 1.40v on mine, without any temperature issues. I have the I have the Northbridge Frequency set to 2400, and the HT Link Frequency set to 2200 I also enabled the ACC in the setup and set all cores to -2%. This has the effect of lowering the MIPS in the benchmarks by about 1200 MIPS, but programs will run faster. I ran DVDRB/CCE with a 7.6GB file, with the ACC turned off and I ran it again with the ACC turned on, and lowered the total time for the same movie by a hair over 2 minutes, from 24 minutes to 22. It also took off almost 1/2 second with SuperPi, 1M. A much better percentage, than I gave up with the ACC set to -2%. It runs smooth as glass, and I'm real happy with the performance at 3.8GHz. I haven't totally figured out the ACC yet, but I'm working on it! LOL!!

GigaByte MA790X-UD4P
    Phenom II 955BE/C3
    2x2GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz at 5-5-5-15

Best Regards,
    Russ

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Thanks a bunch for the insight Russ but I wasn't the one having problems with the board. One of my friends recently started OCing after installing a Coolit Eco, but has absolutely no clue how to scale voltages and clockspeeds to match the rest of the system. Thus the board was having random shut downs and at times wouldn't POST at all. He has since given up an moved on to a Biostar 890FX board(fitting as he is the one with a 1090T). The board was given to me on the basic premise of "if you can fix it, keep it."

So far, the only thing I did was load the fail-safe defaults, set everything to stock for my given hardware, and try a little OCing with known 100% stable settings to see how the board behaves. So far, I have had absolutely none of the problems he told me about. I think he truly just screwed up his OC and got rid of a perfectly functional Gigabyte motherboard.

The previous issues were shutting down randomly, even after showing 100% stability in IBT, and locking up in the BIOS. Since I have gotten the board and set it up properly, it has been perfectly well behaved. Been playing games, listening to music, and posting on forums for over 5 hours now and not a single hitch. Previously, it wouldn't make a half hour without locking up or instantly shutting down.

My theories for his issues are as follows:

- Wrong voltage to sensitive parts
    - No airflow to the VRMs after installing the Coolit ECO-120(though he does have a HAF, same guy with the 1090T and dual 5870s)
    - Possibly a shorting issue with his mounting method
    - A bad OC that he didn't recognize, considering Gigabyte AMD boards usually bluescreen or lock up on the desktop with a bad OC

Whatever it was, at stock settings, and at a mild OC I have had zero issues including 10 runs of high stress IBT and 3 hours of Prime 95. I think it was simply user error.

Either way, the offending party has now agreed to let me do his OCing for him. He has no clue how to use the HTT or CPU-NB clocks and has replaced several boards in the past thinking they were broken. One had burnt VRMs(That's what you get for putting a 1090T into a 780G board...) and the other turned out he simply wasn't screwing in his DVI connection and it caused constant rebooting and POST errors(this is the second of the board he's used, having replaced the other one for the DVI issue). This one seems like more of the same issues. Can you say PEBCAK? LOL

I mean, the guy isn't stupid, he understands the basics very well, but he has yet to realize why I'm so anal-retentive about my settings and OCing. Ever since the DVI issue, where he was convinced he needed to replace the board, I take his issues with a different attitude. I now check every possible issue because even if he says he hasn't, he usually ends up playing with settings he shouldn't, and usually fail-safe defaults and a reformat fix the issue entirely... He could be right and the board is dead, but considering I know his own hardware better than he does, I think it was his own fault XD

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    If you don't mind my asking, what model Motherboard is it? I have a hunch, but I would like to know please.

Russ

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Exactly the same model as your own. MA790X-UD4P. Again, working perfectly ever since I got my hands on it :)

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds like someone I know, though he has legitimately had 4 faulty P55A-UD3s in a row. I feel guilty for recommending it mow!

13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yes but his issue is bad luck. This guy literally creates his own issues and is so forgetful and absent minded he doesn't realize all that dicking around in the BIOS might actually do something :p

BTW been running Prime 95 on this board for well over 5 hours now and not a single issue... I think I just got a perfectly good 790X board for free :S

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I guess things like that happen to every manufacturer from time to time. Generally they get it sorted though. I only remember one that never lived up to it's initial outstanding performance, although they eventually got it to at least run, and that was the P5N-E. I still wonder about that to this day after going through two of them, with the third finally being the charm. I never want to go through an experience like that again!

Russ

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    The 790x-UD4P is a great motherboard, you got a real deal!

Russ

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ditto! :D

17. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I ran it to see if the system was stable, and I knew from prior experience with this system that it tends to fail after a long period of time. Seeing as it did fail I think it's safe to conclude that the system isn't stable and needs tweaking (which is where I'm at).

Anyway this is still my 930 and UD3R. All temps except the NB, which is still peaking at 65C, are wonderful for once (cpu max was 63C :D).

btw it cleared 65 passes of linpack @ 4GB before I stopped it when testing 3.8Ghz X)

redmaw

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yep been going for about 20 hours now I think on Prime 95 stress and not a single issue. Currently typing on it :p

Not entirely sure what I'll do with it but it could be a base for a very nice system. That 1090T is tempting now that I have a viable home for my 940...

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Red_Maw,
    Try the fan mod. For some reason the pic I took is not on ImageShack anymore. Take the 70x70x15mm fan off of a stock Aluminum block AMD CPU cooler, and slip it, frame side down, blade side up, between the lower pump housing of the ECO, and the two plastic tightening pins for the cooler mount. It should fit snug. Plug it into the PSU or the Power Fan header on the motherboard, and it will knock those temps right down. Dropped mine right down to 35-36C.

EDIT: http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/5092/test1000003799.jpg

Here's the picture of that fan mod. Not very good as it's hard to focus down very good with a webcam, but you should be able to figure it out from there. All I've got to take a pic with!

Russ

20. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

That's a pretty good idea, thanks Russ. I don't know if it will work for me though since I'm not using an eco.