1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

My bad then, as I thought you were! LOL!! Ideas are born out of necessity! LOL!! I just laid out all the fans I had on hand and tried to figure a way to make one of them work! Motherboard temp has yet to go over 40C under any conditions.

Russ

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

65ÂșC is hot for any chipset under any conditions, even with minimal fan speed, a big overclock and 4 GPUs working hard I can only get my X48 to 61-62 tops.
    Have you had a go at re-doing the TIM on the chipset cooler?

3. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

No. I'm hesitant to pull it off since I've never done something like that. It seems a lot of UD3R MB's have NB temps in the 60's, so it is likely the factory TIM application is bad. I'll probably try something this weekend, hope nothing goes wrong lol.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Red_Maw,
    Be sure to use a Thermal Compound that is "Non Conductive", and not Arctic Silver. Don't want to see you blowing up your motherboard and voiding the warranty. I used Ceramique on mine, but MX-2 would be good as well! Also, be careful not to break the push pins. I removed all my motherboard screws, slipped the board forward enough, and tipped the motherboard up so I could gently squeeze the ends of the 4 push pins so they will pull back through the holes. If your cooler is like mine, and has a heatpipe to the VRMs at the rear, be especially careful not to use anything conductive!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Russ

5. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Ah, if I have to remove the MB that is out of the question, it's too much trouble to remove after I just got everything installed 2 weeks ago lol. I'll just see if I can hang an 80mm fan in there and go from there.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

You don't have to remove it, just the screws. Slide it towards the front of the computer about an inch and flip the back of the motherboard up. You don't have to disconnect anything! Couldn't be easier!

Russ

7. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

Maybe I'll give it a try next week. Turns out I'm busy this weekend and I don't want to start this unless I have time to finish if you know what I mean.

8. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Wow no body has been here in awhile alittle over a week.I see well thanks Russ for the Secret on theses 790X boards which should be on all other as well about Advanced Clock Calibration I admit i saw it but did'nt pay any attention to it i set mine at -2% all cores and she's running smooth as pie with the G.Skill Oc'd alittle as well. I thinks.I'll sell these sticks and get some Kingston Hyper's down the line stressed it over hour and stopped No freeze ups or blue screen of death either.lol.I 'm still learning about these AMD boards and there's nothing wrong with learnig something new is there? I like my settings and there locked gonna try to drop the cpu volts alittle to see if she holds if not back to 1.400v in the bios and let it ride:)

Prime running
    [​IMG]

I stopped Prime myself after. I was in the other bedroom playing with the old P3 system

[​IMG]

by the way Russ look at the water on my screen don't it look real? that my XFX ATI card HD 4770 that was the same card that was heating up on me on this board after. i out the aftermarket cooler on it and the fan is set at auto here it is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150369

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

will,
    Glad it all worked out for you.

Russ

10. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Well she Sold.I hated to let her go but.I got enough stuff already it was CincyRob's at first and he traded off to me to buy a p45-ds3r which he has sold now himself What.I'm talking about and Russ had him self is the Old P35-DS3R Rev 2.0 Board. I had the my old E6750 on it now it's to Back in it's box Retired and put away for a Sale itself.My customer who bought the board is a co-worker and. i set him up with lower cpu for $40 buck which. I picked up yesterday at micro center along with ordering some memory from newegg.com which was $43.99 free shipping from my cell phone it did'nt show from my phone but once.I looked on the computer.I see newegg has changed there shipper From UPS to DHL to cut cost now instead of 3 to 5 day shipping it's 4 to 7 day shipping well it's due to the economy here in the states cutting back cost.Well anyway. I can't knock this little joker this E3300 even if it's 1m L2 cache and 2 cores at 2.5Ghz for $40 bucks at the Mic it has great reviews on Newegg also and it's a Wolfdale S-spec SLGU4 EO stepping Batch# 3003B898.
    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42771

I decided to get this cpu cause.I only thing he's gonna do have the system for music and surfing the Web that's it and burn alittle and later on get a Quad and some 1066 mem if need be it stored in a light weight Gigbyte case for $20 buck cooling is'nt no issue here it idled at 25c stressed high as 52c under a long period of load at 3.0Ghz not gonna push it pass that unless with after market cooler and 1066 mem on board that will be he choice.The memory by choice is these below low budget build choice... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211288

Right now mine are installed until his get to my house to put in and these are the best sticks.I had for my first 775 pin socket build with the E6750 Great Memory and can run 5-5-5-18 smooth to loosen. I had these jokers at 936mhz with the E6750 at 3.5ghz
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034

a few test LinX and Sandra Mips

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GoodBye p35-ds3r

Happy Building Ya'll
    when you can afford!

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

At first I thought 'but the P35 boards aren't old' - and then looking back, dear god they are. It's nearly 3 years since I bought my P35C-DS3R!

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

and.I still Got my EP35C-DS3R Rev 2.1 running with the E8400 plugged in. I got my best scans with that board back in day with the E6750 b4 the discs started to go to crap anyway could'en not resist the temptation on what this little puppy could do bumped it to 3.3ghz just did a 5 Pass with LinX to see and hav'en had a Blue screen of Death yet and it's been running sense yesterday just been rebooting to changes settings and updates that's it

[​IMG]

Sandra Mips it did alright

[​IMG]

Core Temp see it as a E5200 wonder why and CPUZ see it as a A Stepping but everest see it as EO it's 45nm chip cooling down pretty fast to at 25c with factory cooler

[​IMG]

Oc percentage

[​IMG]

I'll back it down to 3.0Ghz and seal the deal with the buyer after. I slap the A-Data and pull my sticks out:)

13. M1986

M1986 Guest

Hey guys, My name is Mike and I am new here. I have questions about overclocking my system and I hope someone here can help me with it. I am running

MSI K9VGM-V MOBO with a Athlon 64 Dual Core 3600+ @ 1.9GHz (stock clock speed & vcore)

1GB DD2 800MHz (stock clock speed & voltage) soon to be 2GB

Radeon 9250 256MB (stock clock) soon to be Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB DDR3 (stock clock 575MHz core) (1.38GHz mem clock) (cant remember the shader clock but I think its 1.4GHz) specs are for X1950 Pro not the 9250

40GB 7200rpm Sata Seagate

500 watt Cooler Master (2x 12 volt rails)

now to my questions I want to overclock my CPU to its max potential now before I do that I would like to know a few things. First, how much will this shorten the life of the cpu? what cpu fan or coolant is recommended for the overclock? (AMD stock fan at the moment) should I overclock through the bios or with one of those windows programs? if you chose a overclock program instead of the bios, which one is the best? and where can I get it? Also any recommendations for overclocking my specific system would be greatly appreciated. For example how much do you think I should boost the frequency and vcore for stable performance under 100% load without killing the CPU or Mobo. I do not have a lot of money so I am trying to make the most out of what I have. looking forward to the responses. thanks

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mike,
    I'm not sure that overclocking on that motherboard is worth it. The on board grapics alone, won't let you OC very far, and the adjustments are minimal, and Via chipsets are about the slowest around. These motherboards were of a more basic entry level nature, and most manufacturers made one. Same had an nVidia chipset as well. Biostar, Foxconn, Asus and MSI made them as well as a raft of Generic brands. Winamp comes to mind, but there were many others.

The biggest problem you will have is the voltage regulator modules on the motherboard won't take a lot of load, and the capacitors blow out quite easily. I have about 6 of them I've replaced, and all of them blew either the VRMs or tha Caps.

Another difficulty is the board only addresses 2GB of DDR2 800MHz memory, so it won't do much for anything that's memory intensive.

I would recommend looking into one of these.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128342
    Still entry level, but with more of what you need for today's computers. It addresses 8GB of DDR2, up to 1066MHz, has 6 sata ports, and can handle any modern AMD CPU up to 95w. You can even buy an inexpensive 635 quad core, and this board for $150 and use all your old components.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103882
    By the way, there are additional bios features that only show in the setup when you plug in an AM2+ or AM3 CPU. Great little combo for the money! Upgradable through socket AM3, with DDR2.

Just food for thought!

Best Regards, and Welcome to AD,
    Russ

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The biggest issue with those MSI basic boards (basic denoted by the red colouring of the board) is most of them don't even have an overclocking section in the BIOS at all. Even if you strike lucky, there is unlikely to be much there of use. Add to that the CPU you use is going to have a pretty limited overclock anyway (I was limited to an overclock of 9% on my X2 4200 on a board twice as expensive as that).
    The AM2 upgrade Russ marked out is a pretty easy way to upgrade your system. Overclocking, even if it's possible at all, won't yield you very much at all.

16. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

is that x1950 an AGP or PCIE card? Because you may need to uphtade that aswell.

17. M1986

M1986 Guest

Thank you theonejrs, sammorris, and shaffaaf for the responses. I guess I will be sticking to stock settings because I do not want to fry my board. I never realized that VIA chipsets sucked that bad. To answer both questions yes the MSI board does have frequency adjustment in the bios. Also the X1950 pro is PCIE not AGP the MSI mobo does not have a AGP slot on it just PCIE. I will be waiting until I can afford to upgrade to something better. This system was a down grade from a Q6600 system I used to own and now I miss that quad core system a lot. It was a BEAST compared to this system.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I looked at Oxi, which has one of those boards in it (Foxconn), and you can raise the FSB, but there are no voltage adjustments at all, so what the On board graphics limit you to, isn't very much. Maybe 200 to 300 MHz at the very best before the video crashes.

Russ

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    It has a PCI-E 16x slot in it, same as in oxi. The HD4670 I bought, works real well in it.

Russ

20. M1986

M1986 Guest

hey Russ, your rig is a BEAST of a system! if you dont mind me asking what did your rig run you? Does it run StarCraft II and Lineage II on high graphics detail with no lag?