1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,

Thanks for the link. It works perfectly. Great minds must think alike as I was about to go looking for a program like this. BTW, I posted it on the Hounds. Gave you credit for the find! Hope you don't mind!

BTW, if you come across a program called AT Slowdown, let me know. Back in the day, it was used to slow down a computer to allow it to run some programs that the computer was too fast for. My Colecovision Emulator doesn't run properly because this computer is just too fast for it. The program was designed for 16 bit! The original Colecovision was an 8 bit Z-80! I know it's old but I still enjoy games like Donkey Kong Jr. and Burgertime!

Thanks Again,
    Russ

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  2. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    no worries at all.
    Have a look here I think this will interest you.it's got a heap of programs that should do what you want including AT slow.
    http://www.geocities.com/kulhain/

3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thanks for the advice crowy and yes i do know where the jumpers are they are the real fiddley ones in between bat and floppy port

i will let you know my finding as soon as. but first i will install new psu (450w) and the evo33 tonight then give that a go tomorrow

[bold]edit[/bold]

i have installed cpz and speedfan so i could monitor things and cpz shows my multi dropping to x5, after reading the mobo manual it says that one of the drivers, athlon64 driver, drops it when the cpu is not in use to save power. will this interfear with my ocing or is a good thing?

also after looking in the bios it wont let me up the core voltage

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  4. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,Disable the AMD "cool'n'quiet option in your bios if it's there.This will keep your multi at 10x.Not to worry about having no vcore adjustment,it won't stop you o/clocking but will limit how far you can go.I'm sure somewhere between 2.3~2.4ghz will be possible.Any more than that will be a bonus!

5. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,
    Have a look at page 27 of your manual.There should be an option that says Multplier/voltage change.Switch that to manual and you will have vcore adjust.

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

scarey that dude is my house bugged? lol

242@x10 240@x9 is that strange?
    higher than that and its b.s.o.d. time

you are right but it wont let me up it, it maxs out at 1.45v which is the stock setting

[bold]edit[/bold]
    iv turned off c+q and left the voltage as auto in the bios and cpu-z is telling me that the voltage is around 1.48 give or take .02 and the core is running at 2379.9(238x10)

i have locked the pci-e at 100mhz but i cant find the ldt multi you mentioned but at these speeds i guess i dont need it. what about the cpu to nb and nb to sb do you think anything in there might help?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Marsey99,

Don't look now, we are right behind you!!! LOL Opps, now we're in front of you!!! Invisibility works!! LOL Seriously, good luck with your new MB and overclock!

Happy Computering,
    theone

8. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,
    Nothing strange about that.Some chips o/c better @9x some @10x.
    Although your cpu max is about the same @ 9 or 10x,one may be more stable than the other.Now download super pi here:
    http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/super_pi_mod-1.5.zip
    and run 1m iterations.Run it at with your cpu at 10x240 and again with your cpu at 9x267.
    then post the results.

9. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,
    That's the same as an LDT multi.So yes it will help.
    Drop the cpu to nb to 800(This is the same as having the LDT multi if you had one set at 4x)This will put your fsb @1920mhz from the default 2000mhz and hopefully allow you to go a bit higher with the cpu frequency.If you manage to get your cpu to 250mhz,having the cpu to nb set to 800mhz(same as 4 times LDT multi)will put your fsb back to the default 2000mhz.

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

since last post iv had some problems bsod saying driver irql blah blah blah so ive dropped it to 235x10 and it seems ok. oblivion ran smooth for half an hour, turned it off to check temps 38c with fan about half(evo33 cant rate highly enough will post in other thread) i could get that on a hot day surfing with retail hsf. will try that link now but i dont think it will post @9x267 but i can try
    [bold]edit[/bold]
    youv posted again while i was dordling. that link keeps timing out so i will see what happens when i change the cpu to north bridge and try that @x9

11. pbparadox

pbparadox Member

I have the ASUS CrossHair MOBO, with an extremely in depth OC feature built right into the BIOS. It has dozens of options for CPU and RAM and I would like to OC but I don't know what to change.

-I would love to OC my RAM, its DDR2 800(6400) 4-4-4-15 2.1v, my BIOS has options for all the Trcl?, Tclr? lol I don't know the abreviations or what they do, but I know those are the things I need to change, and it also has voltages. What do I need to do?

-I would love to OC my CPU (AMD64 X2 4600+) but I have no clue what setting to adjust.

-I would finally love to OC my VidCard, its a Nvidia 7950GX2, is there any easy to use programs to OC? Or should I just use the MSI OC software that came with the vidcard?

I scored a 7650 on 3DMark06 Advanced Edition and hope to maybe get it up 250-750 points :)

12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

it still not stable above 240x10 turned the nb/sb down to 600 tried it @260x9 needed to reset bios first time tonight.
    i think i have to admit defeat and leave it at 2.39ghz(on post) any thing more than that and it wont stay stable in windows.
    iv put c+q back on aswel so i can turn the fan down, it comes with a dail on a back plate to adjust speeds from 1200rpm to 4300rpm, when its not needed becuase when it drops to x5 the voltage drops to 1.12and its runnig now at 31c.

i ran superpi and got the ground breaking score of 45.256 for 1m (731b91a)

but my rams still @133 i can put it back to 166 and tighten the timeings see if that does much to improve it, but its late here now and im tired so it can wait till morning

thank for walking me through this crowy your a star. it looks like your knowledge of the dark art is needed by someone else

13. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,
    No worries at all.
    Yes by all means put your ram back @ 166 this will give your ram an effective speed of just over DDR398mhz(close enough to DDR400!)You can try your ram @200mhz also, this will put it @DDR478mhz.I was using corsair value select and managed 510mhz if I recall with the ram voltage @ 2.9v and timings @ 3,4,4,8 1T command rate.I also noticed in your manual on page 27 it says this:
    Processor Voltage
    This item will show when “Multiplier/Voltage Change” is set to [Manual];
    otherwise, it will be hidden. You may set the value from [1.550V] down to
    [0.800V]. However, for safety and system stability, it is not recommended
    to adjust the value of this item.
    If you can raise the voltage by even .1v it can make all the difference.
    Also if you are going to try to go a bit faster make sure to disable cool"n"quiet

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2006
  14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Marsey99.
    I guess that makes Crowy, the "Dark Art Master"! Actually, it's only "Dark Art" because the motherboard manufacturers choose to keep us in the dark as to what all these Acronyms mean and just what the heck they do! Why the hell they can't just explain what things do and then everybody wouldn't have to go crazy trying to figure it out!

I've pretty well mastered the Intel I've OC'd my 3.0 Prescott to 3.94, which is an amazing 31%. This is with an Asus P4P800-SE MB! My D-940 OC'd from 3.2 to 3.91, which is about 24%. I'm sure that with a better MB, I could hit over 4.0 with it. I'm using an Asus P5P800-SE MB for the D-940, and it wasn't designed with Dual-Cores in mind. CPU temps won't read right and Asus had it for a month and it came back with the same problem. That's what Asus calls "fixing" it! The only thing they did right was replace the VRMs with heavier duty parts and heavier capacitors. It runs so..... good, I'm half tempted to try for 4.0 or better, on air. Arctic Freezer 7 Pro to the rescue! The 3.0 Prescott has a Zalman 9500 LED in it.

I'm sure you will get it all sorted out. Once you finally get a Dual-Core, you will wonder how you ever did without it. I was stuck for a month with only the Prescott and believe me when I say I noticed the difference. The D-940 is more than twice as fast!

Happy Computering,
    theone

15. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    I'll second that!!
    Now what about Quad cores???

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2006
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I dunno I'm very glad I have a dual core, but I'm struggling to think of a use for two more.

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

upped the ram to 166 and i got superpi down to 41.546 (af378d34)
    it would boot and log on to windows @200 but would not complete super pi
    rams running @166 in bios and 197.5mhz cpu:12 2.5 3 3 8 11 2t thats from cpuz and the timings are set to auto in bios

[bold]edit[/bold]

its the software that needs to catch up to make the most of multi core cpus, but its like 64bit os its not suported enough to make all the manufactorers devlope for it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  18. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,
    Change MA Timing in your bios to 1T.
    That will give you about a 3% increase in performance.
    Try super pi again.
    If it won't complete super pi,raise your memory voltage to 2.7v and see how that goes.If it still won't complete super pi try changing your timings to 2.5,4,4,8

19. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thats got me down to 39.907 (oaf6b9co)i tried it at stock before so i could compare and it took 48.5 (o35db261) so the 20%oc has knocked 20% off the time, which is nice.

only thing is i have had to get rid of forceware and stick with makers drivers

do you think i shoud try changing the timings in bios because apart from that just they are still set to auto. the voltage i dont know about because the options it gives me are high, med, low and auto

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  20. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,
    Try medium for your memory voltage.
    Set cas latency(CL) to 2.5
    Set TRCD to 4
    Set TRP to 4
    Set TRAS to 8

Try these and see how you go.