1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

thought i would test my rig again. first time in a while. i have it running at 3.83ghz now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [12:12:03] Phase III, REBUILD completed in 6 minutes.
    Done.
    [12:12:04] PREPARE/ENCODE/REBUILD completed in 26 min.
    just a little over 7gb total file size.

2. M1986

M1986 Guest

thanks guys I think I might just pick up that Gigabyte board Russ recommended it has a lot of features for the buck and it supports all my old components which saves me some cash.

On another note I cant believe that Asus has fallen from the top of the mountain quality wise. They used to make amazing motherboards. I know this because I used to own quite a few of them. I ran one for 3 years with no problems what so ever. Its sad to hear that they are producing crap now. Well I guess its over to Gigabyte for me then.

On another note I received my X1950 pro and my other 1GB stick of 800MHz for a total of 2GB now and I must say that I am highly impressed. I pushed Star Trek Bridge Commander on FULL GRAPHIC DETAIL and it ran like a dream! I pushed Lineage II with FULL GD and it runs sweet with a little lag but its very bearable =) However Star Trek Legacy on FULL GD LAGS LIKE A %$#*& so I guess I will be buying or building a new gaming rig somewhere down the road. =(

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hey M1986, sorry about off topic, but is there anything on those star trek games worth still framing? (Wallpapers and such) I'm extremely partial to star trek imagery and memorabilia ;) Star wars, not so much, but star trek I'd darn near kill for LOL!!!

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

M1986,
    Keep in mind too with the 785G motherboard, the performance difference with a socket AM3 CPU for DDR2 is only slightly less than with the TX board and DDR3. It also opens more options in the bios setup and brings into play, Direct Connect via additional active pins on the CPU.

Russ

5. M1986

M1986 Guest

at Omega - Star Trek Legacy actually has some beautiful artwork when it comes to Ship drawings and great looking planets. Also the sketches of the different types of species are amazing as well and very detailed. you can tell that the artists put in a lot of time and effort into their work. They would make for great backgrounds.

at Russ - thanks I will keep that in mind.

On another note - tigerdirect.ca is offering this combo deal for about 475 Canadian after tax and delivery charges. The parts in this deal are:

* Asus M2N68-AM PLUS Motherboard
    * AMD Phenom X4 9450e Quad-Core Processor 2.1GHz
    * Crucial 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 Memory (x 2)
    * 1TB Seagate Barracuda LP HD
    * Samsung TS-H663B Internal DVD Writer OEM
    * Ultra U12-40603 X-Wind 90mm CPU Cooler
    * PowerUp ATX Black Mid-T Case w/ 450w PSU

is this worth the money? would it make for a great upgrade system?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2010
  6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks M1986. I'm looking into it ;)

7. M1986

M1986 Guest

no problem always happy to help out a fellow Trekkie =)

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

M1986,
    In my opinion it isn't. The motherboard is obsolete, it dates back to 2008. It was an entry level motherboard with nVidia 6100 On Board Graphics and a 430 Chipset. Where the price of $215 came from, I don't know but I found it for $79, the same price as the Gigabyte 785G board I linked you. As for the Phenom x4 9450, it's a 65w 2.1GHz energy efficient chip that was made to be used in conjunction with Kool & Quiet. They don't overclock worth a flip, even with the B3 stepping. Generally speaking, any AMD CPU that ends in a small "e" should be avoided unless you are building something stock for Aunt Minnie! You would have more value for your Dollar, as well as processing power with an $89 Athlon II x4 2.6GHz Quad core in the gigabyte MA785GM-US2H. Personally I would opt for the Athlon II x4 935 or 940 Propus, because they have B3 stepping models. Just look for the GMBOX on the end of the model number. Just my opinion, of course.

Russ

9. M1986

M1986 Guest

Thanks again Russ. (I like the Aunt Minnie sentence that one made me smile) See the prob is I want to play Legacy however Legacy is very demanding on system resources and I do not have 1000 bucks to spend on the super fast stuff however I like your recommendation. Does that mobo support my current VC and Mem? they are posted in my sig

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

According to the following site, your current hardware should be able to run it
    http://www.gamepyre.com/reviews/games/pc/797_10.html
    Heck, even my 2001 HP could come close to the minimum requirements. Though I doubt very much that it could run it. My new system though, should handle it easily, while running extensive processes in the background :p

11. M1986

M1986 Guest

The game runs however it runs on minimum graphics with no lag. However the second you boost the graphic settings all the way up thats a whole different story. the game LAGS HARD! The problem is the only way to enjoy the fancy looking graphics in the game is if the settings are on high however because my system cannot seem to handle that I do not want to play the game on low because it will ruin the whole experience of the game for me. Those requirements that person has posted are wrong because if you were to run that game with some of those ATI cards and all of those Nvidia cards it might not even run or it would LAG LAG LAG LAG... you get the point and who the hell wants to play a game when all its doing is lagging. Legacy is a beautiful game. The graphics look amazing on high detail but the video card you need to run it costs an arm and a leg.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I understand. GTA IV is a hardware whore. Mostly CPU, but it does use a bit of GPU as well. If I had to play it at any less than 1920 (1680 Minimum), I couldn't stand it. It really does need to be played at higher resolutions/detail ;)

13. M1986

M1986 Guest

exactly. being a gamer I just cant stand seeing minimum graphics on games especially after playing a PS3 game and then trying to play a PC game on min settings that just sucks lol

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

M1986,
    The Asus M2N68-AM PLUS, is pretty much the same motherboard as your MSI K9VGM-V. Yours is just a little slower because of the Via Chipset, and it might be a bit older. The Gigabyte MS785GM-US2H will support your memory and your Vid Card. You might want to try the On board Video first. It's ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics, and they are quite good. The board has both VGA and DVI plugs, so whatever you need to use will work. You are a little short on Ram, as things would play better with 2x2GB of memory. On the Plus side, the HD4200 graphics don't consume any memory when turned off, like they do with your current motherboard, so you would at least get the full benefit of your present 2x1GB sticks of memory. You can also overclock the video from the CMOS Setup! Even your 3600x2 will perform better in it!

Russ

15. M1986

M1986 Guest

sweeeeet! thanks Russ I think I will be getting that Gigabyte mobo in a week or so at least then I will have something I can upgrade in the future.

On another note do you know if my MSI K9VGM-V will support a Athlon 64 2650e CPU@1.6GHz stock clock speed? I cannot seem to find the answer to this question on google.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All tigerdirect bundles are bad. no exceptions.
    Just look at all the bad in that:

Asus motherboard - unreliable
    low-speed CPU - you can do much better for little extra cost
    Crucial memory - potentially unreliable
    5400rpm HDD as the OS drive - unsuitable due to low performance
    Low-grade CPU cooler - why bother, just use the stock
    Deathtrap PSU - will probably burn the entire system out within months.

I can't believe TigerDirect get away with selling such garbage. No wonder they get such bad reviews.

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Again, why do you think I stick to Newegg like glue? lol

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

There are stores that try to success even newegg ;) Not by much, but they try LOL!
    Mwave.com for instance. They bent over backwards for me more than once. Though I too am religious when it comes to newegg :D

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mike,
    Yes your old motherboard will support the 2650e. The motherboard and the CPU are both socket AM2. It's only a 1.6GHz 15w single core, so it shouldn't put any additional strain on the motherboard.

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

here to back you up Russ,Mike here's a overview from newegg & a MotherboardPro.com
    listing Hope this looks like your board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130542
    http://www.motherboardpro.com/MSI-K...90-Chipset-Onboard-Video-Micro-ATX-p-182.html

alittle Passmark software to...on the cpu
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+2650e
    TechPower
    http://www.techpowerup.com/cpudb/581/AMD_Athlon_64_2650e.html

it will work on that board they put alot those in those E Machines computers about time for a new system don't you think Mike?