1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. M1986

M1986 Guest

Russ recommended this mobo to me as a upgrade to my current mobo. The Model is GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H in Canada the total cost for this board is $85 CAD

I am also looking into this board as a new system build. The Model is MSI 770-G45 in Canada the total cost for this board is about $115 to $120 CAD

Which of the two boards would you guys choose? If you do not like either which board would you go with?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Personally I try to avoid mATX boards unless short of funds as they lack a lot of ports that full size ATX boards would have that don't cost much more, and it's annoying if you want to use more than the board has. The MSI is probably better, although it uses a low-end chipset, if you're keeping AM2/DDR2 there's nothing better you can really buy.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

M1986, being you are not taking the psu circuit board out of it's case then you can clean it out right then. i use a long 1" wide paint brush to clean out all the dust & dust bunnies out of psu's & desktops with no problems.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

M1986,
    I would take the 785GM over the MSI any day, since the MSI sells for $79, while the 785GM is only $64. For one, it's better made! That dinky NB heatsink on the MSI will be totally inadequate for overclocking, and needs to be replaced with a better heatsink, preferably with a fan. The GigaByte has far better adjustments for overclocking as well, virtually the same as my 790x-UD4P. MSI has an annoying habit of occasionally bringing out some good motherboards, only to let them die for lack of support. The Via sound chip just flat out sucks! It's a "Rice Krispies" chip, snap, crackle and Pop! The MSI is DDR3, so you would have to buy that as well! The second 16x PCIe slot is really only 4x if used in CrossFire. The MSI only has a 1 year warranty, while the GigaByte gives you 3 years!

Check out today's temps!

[​IMG]

it's about 82-83F in here, and idling at 32C with the CoolIt ECO!

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I won't say anything bad about the MSI board. I have one kicking it in a HTPC, and to date, its the smoothest board I've owned :p :p

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Oman7,
    It's not that they are so bad, it's the lack of support that has killed off just about every really good board they make. I'm not much of a fan of paying more for less, either! The extra two years of warranty is important to me as well.

Latest temps!

[​IMG]

It do get hot here! LOL!! I think this will do it for today though! Thank God the humidity is so low, or it would really be miserable!

Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, I didn't spot that, I just assumed he'd picked out a compatible board and didn't bother looking it up. I make that mistake a lot :p
    The second slot only being 4x is no issue for crossfire setups outside $2000 top-end PCs as even with top-end cards a 4x slot only diminishes performance 5-10%. Not really a selling point for the Gigabyte 785GM as it hasn't even got a second 16x slot!
    This brings me back to my previous point about connectivity. Were there any 785G boards from Gigabyte full size I would have linked straight to them, but there aren't, and Gigabyte's 770G ATX board, the MA770-UD3, has been discontinued in favour of the 770T series which is AM3.
    Gigabyte simply do not sell a full size ATX board for AM2 CPUs any more, at all.
    In addition, the MSI 770T-C45 uses a Realtek audio chipset, not VIA, and I've used Realtek chipsets for years without quality problems.
    The concern I have though, is that people are commenting that newegg are not sending out the 770T-C45 to those that are buying it - the 770T-C45 is a red PCB (basic series) board, whereas the picture shown is black. It's probably not worth risking on those grounds.
    Thus, it would seem your only option is to go MicroATX, and in that instance, may as well get the Gigabyte 785GM.

8. M1986

M1986 Guest

thanks guys. Gigabyte it is then. =)

9. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

plugs asus recommendation ;)

10. M1986

M1986 Guest

I used to be a Asus Fanboy. I owned a lot of their older boards which were very reliable and great for overclocking but I recently found out on this forum that Asus is not what it used to be quality wise. Apparently they make boards with cheap parts now and they are still charging high prices. I didn't mind paying those high prices when their boards were good but now I do not think I will ever own another board from them again unless they fix their act. I remember when most technicians and Asus themselves claimed that they were the greatest motherboard manufacturer in the world its too bad they have fallen from the top =(

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2010
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Come on, what did he ever do to you? Doesn't seem very fair to put him through all that RMA misery :p

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    Man, is my face red. I saw Realtec and wrote Via!

By the By, the MSI 770T-C45 only has one PCIe 16x slot!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130270

I think you must have looked at a different model. I know, I did as well! The model with two PCIe slots is the 770-G45!

Russ

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I hadn't looked at the board by that stage, I was just quoting you!

14. M1986

M1986 Guest

Would you guys buy a very nice black Thermaltake Case with 4 - 5.25" bays....12cm Cooling fan...No side window but there is a vent on the side that allows you to screw in another 12cm fan. all for 60 to 70 bucks however it comes with no PSU. Is this worth it?

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

M1986,
    I don't know what model Thermaltake case you are referring to, but this is my case!

Cooler Master Centurion 534
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119106

Same as above but with a Cooler Master 460w PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119208

5 5.25" External drive bays, 5 3.50" drive bays. Lots of room for a Mid-Tower case, and very nice looking!

It comes with a Cooler Master Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171046

I bought mine that way and swapped the 460 for the 500w Cooler Master, then sold the 460w for what I paid for the 500w. Both still going strong!

Russ

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  16. M1986

M1986 Guest

thanks Russ. does anyone know where I can get a CLEAR Acrylic ATX Case from for cheap? clear as in all see through.

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You mean virtually clear? Transparent, as in 100% no color? LOL! That'd be awesome!!! And then some proper lighting. If CM makes a clear HAF 932 i'd buy that in a heart beat!

18. M1986

M1986 Guest

Ya I believe that Logisys makes a clear acrylic case but they are super expensive and they have 1000 screws on their side panels.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  20. M1986

M1986 Guest

very nice =) thanks omega. by the way how are you liking the artwork for Star Trek Legacy? By any chance are you a comic collector or reader I noticed your username and became curious so I decided to ask.

on another note I finally updated my pictures on my profile to show what my system looks like now. I also took a pic of my 500 watt cooler master along with its dead 12cm fan dont know why just felt like it. lol Pics are high resolution so just click on them to enlarge.