1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

No, I've never read a comic book :p No joke. I am however a huge fan of the stories. E.g. Batman, superman, Xmen, etc.

I chose my Screen name back in 2003. It was to remind me that I could do anything I set my mind to ;) And I can. I surprise myself regularly. Programming will be the largest feat. I don't doubt I can do it, but it will take some time. Its the most complex language/lesson I've come across.

I've only played Star Trek Legacy once so far. Haven't found enough time for it. From What I've seen of it, it looked good. My system appears to run it maxed without even a tiny hiccup :D

I hope that Enermax PSU serves you well. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that brand is one people should steer clear of :S

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With the exception of some of the really old top-end cases, there is no such thing as a nice thermaltake case. They're pretty shoddily made. I'd certainly place coolermaster above them for build quality.
    Also, you should never expect a PSU to come free with a case. Every PSU that comes free with a case is universally bad. You just can't take risks with PSUs.

The clear acrylic cases are awful as well, acrylic isn't strong enough to hold PC components by itself, and they get badly scratched, not to mention they're really bad cases in terms of design and cooling. There's no reason to do anything but buy a case with a large side window, being able to see the back of a motherboard isn't very exciting!

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

M1986,
    Unfortunately, unless you get one custom built, I don't know if you can even find one. I've yet to see a practical clear case to this day. I understand that they are harder to cool than a metal case, as the Acrylic plastic holds a lot of heat, and doesn't cool down that well externally. Sunbeam Has a nice looking clear and a clear UV blue case, but I don't think a lot of it's airflow. I'd rather it had 6 5.25" bays, and a front fan, than 9 5.25" bays and no front fan.
    Sunbeam AC-9B-HUVB

[​IMG]

About $80. Looks rather nice!

EDIT:Found some more views at Newegg!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811166032&Tpk=Sunbeam AC-9B-HUVB

Best Regards,
    Russ

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then go look round the other side when it's got components in it :p

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I can't imagine what it would take to get all the wires under the motherboard all tucked in, nice and neat looking. I think that would be quite a quite a challenge as there's no place to hide anything. I'm not sure, but I think a Modular PSU would be a big help too.

Russ

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

lmao it is so funny, the hatred for ASUS at this site. all the millions of ASUS P5Q series boards that have been sold and have been found rock solid, i guess all them people are wrong. ive never had a ASUS board (other than the cheap one that is in my HP system that is over 5 years old and still is running) there is models of every board/manufacture that are junk and have had problems. it doesnt make everything that a company produces garbage....

@bigwill
    this is why my post go over looked and not replied to, i do go along with the closed mindedness of the majority around here. it ok to like or suport or recomend more than the same thing over and over even when it isnt wanted by the original poster.

also get sherlock holmes retail and use dvd rebuilder on it. right at 7.2gbs with everything. better yet get lord of the rings two towers and do it and see what you get.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Maximus II Formula I had was effectively a P5Q, that bit the dust before it was anywhere near a year old. Plenty of problems with dodgy P5Q Pro boards out there as well. Acknowledging a brand has serious quality problems is far from being closed-minded. It's not as if I only ever recommend one brand as a replacement. Unfortunately with a fair few PC technology companies going out of business, the options are dwindling somewhat.

8. M1986

M1986 Guest

Cool. I was just wondering because Omega Man is a well known DC character. I know what you mean when it comes to finding time to play games these days work keeps me super busy too. I have been running that Enermax for about a week now with no problems and considering I am a Antec and Enermax PSU fanboy I will almost always run Antec or Enermax PSU's unless I cannot afford them at the time.

9. M1986

M1986 Guest

thanks sam and russ for the info on the acrylic cases. I have so many choices for my next system build but I have no idea what to buy. =( I just want a powerful gaming system but every component right down to the case is such a pain to choose. Not sure which ones are the right ones to buy and I dont want to have to upgrade this new system every month. Just want to build it and play my games when I have time.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Enermax stuff has never been especially high quality. Expensive, but not really high quality. The Modu82 units were plagued with problems, and the Galaxy units were awful. Generally though, if you never use much of their rated output they'll last a few years, though certainly not as long as better made OEMs such as CWT and Seasonic (as used in Corsair units among many others). If you do run close to their rated output, you're pushing your luck, has been my experience with people using Enermax units.
    Same goes for some of Antec's units, the CWT units are alright, but the others are not especially high quality and they can prove troublesome.

11. M1986

M1986 Guest

Considering I seem to be out of touch with what is good these days hardware wise. Can someone recommend parts for a new system build for me totaling around the 800 dollar mark? The system MUST have a decent to good video card. thanks in advance

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

13. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I stopped trying to keep my 939 form factor running because my asus A8N32-SLI deluxe died after a year, an A8S-X died after a few weeks as did its replacement. When I upgraded to socket775 (when Q9450, Q9550 were new) I used a Gigabyte board. Its still running fine as are the 4 or 5 models i've used in roughly 20 other builds in the last few years.
    Am I being closed minded for using something that i know works?
    My main main Jules Winnfield once said "A sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie but I wouldn't know cause I won't eat the filthy MF'er"
    About the only thing that would get me to change brands again (barring gigabyte epic fail) was if Asus started packaging beers and BJ's along with their mobo's. Then again I'd probably buy ECS board with via chipsets if they came packaged with beers and BJ's...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well said, and my story almost exactly mirrors yours, except I (misguidedly) continued using Asus into their modern stuff presuming it was better - it wasn't.

15. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

its why i dont bother recommending anything thing and if i do i make sure it isnt asus, before i get slated.

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I know what you mean. The Tsunami and Soprano are especially bad. But my Armor is very solid and as well built as the HAF at least. Of course this is the old style of Armor from my original enthusiast rig.

17. M1986

M1986 Guest

thanks sam that is a great system for the money however it is too bad it is all in U.S. Dollars and not Canadian dollars =(

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry, people need to state their currency clearly. Most don't even use a $ sign, a generic number is just assumed to be their currency. Since it's typically only Americans that do this, if I don't see otherwise I assume USD. Apologies, I'll get an edited system up in a few minutes.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Nice suggestions Sam. Once again proving AMD can provide a good value :)