1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. M1986

M1986 Guest

You are absolutely right. I should have stated the correct currency. My apologies and thanks for putting together a very nice system list for me =)

2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Hey now you can't stereotype Americans as being like this any more than you can stereotype all Brits as being dentally impaired queen worshipers. LOL, the regulars and the lurkers know who sits where, its the newer ones that do not specify currency that brings most issues.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

sam, the americans are not the only ones that use the dollar sign.

4. M1986

M1986 Guest

heres another one for you guys. I need the CHEAPEST mobo money can buy that SUPPORTS a AMD Athlon 2650e cpu. Please post link here if you find one on Newegg or Ebay. MUST be in CANADIAN currency.

5. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186155 $39.99

what would be the purpose of this build be though lol :)

6. M1986

M1986 Guest

It is a system I am selling for extra cash. I have spare parts and I thought why not put a system together with the spare parts and sell it. I am just missing the mobo. Thanks ck

7. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

to be honest the mobo is worth more than the cpu, some parts should be left to die :) haha

8. M1986

M1986 Guest

LOL completely agree but I know I can make some cash off of it ;)

9. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

You may be better of selling the components individually on ebay!?!? the processor is only suited to web browsing/email and maybe films in a media pc, and some very basic old games, but IMHO its a little weak for that even :)

10. M1986

M1986 Guest

wont get any argument from me there. lol =) and thanks for the advice

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

12. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Sweet Build Russ for a low Budget. I would recommend it.The only thing. I would change out would be the Drives smaller OS drive a 250g for $47.99 free shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136161
    and a 500g for storage $69.99 free shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320
    with both totaled up at $117.98
    and you still would be under a $800 dollar budget with your at $636.33 - $59.99 =$576.34 with 2 Drives $576.34 + $117.98= $694.32 with $105.68 lefted over just a thought from my end...

Happy Building Mike we here to Help:)

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I disagree entirely! It winds up being twice the cost of the 750GB drive. In my eyes, that's just plain foolish! Make a 50GB boot partition for your OS, and be done with it! Use the rest for programs and storage. Besides the tax and shipping would drive the cost over $800!

Respectfully,
    Russ

14. M1986

M1986 Guest

thank you Russ, Will and Sam for your opinions. Both recommendations look fantastic for the money that I would be spending. The only thing I am a little stuck on even though sam recommended against it is that Clear Acrylic Case as I love adding fancy lights and fans since I have so many of them just laying around. Also I love seeing the components inside my case. I Have no idea why I just do lol I know its kinda stupid but when my friends come over and see a computer operating in a clear acrylic case they become fascinated with it too lol

15. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

http://www.clearpc.ca/ have you looked at this site for your acrylic case needs?

Not my taste but as you want to bling your pc =)

16. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I also disagree entirely with partition for your OS to 750GB drive why cut it into a Cake drive if it crashes you loss everything anyway use it for Mass Storage instead. I don't even Backup my system on my Primary drive.I back it up to my 500gb storage and what about encoding speed with Dvd Rebuilder is better when you use two different drives working folder on one and output folder on the other makes a different is speed.It's only a extra 58.00 more and the parts have free shipping That's just me In my eyes, that's just plain foolish not to get 2 drives out of a $800 dollar budget and still have a $105 left and with that $105 can also be card reader if need be something we agree on and something we don't Russ, This Drive one. I Don't...

That problem can be solved right here just told a picture of mine just laying around
    $40 Bucks it's your if you want just depends where you live due to shipping cost.Lol
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2010
  17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Will,
    With all due respect, I've used a single drive for everything for more than 18 years years without any issues at all. It was only about 3 1/2 - 4 years ago when I switched to a motherboard with the Sata 3.0GB/s drives that I got a second one. Almost all pre-builts, like Dell, HP, eMachines, etc. All use a single drive of varying size, without Ill effects. not that an additional drive isn't a good thing, it just isn't essential at this point!

I went and changed it to the same 250 you chose, but I substituted the AALS at $69.99 because it's the second best 500GB drive that WD makes. Don't forget I had to add a Freezer 64, so it all comes to $652.91 US, $688.56 Canadian! That is without tax or shipping.

Canada has 3 different Taxes they collect, and the rate depends on where you live, and it's a bit complicated. They have a Provincial Sales Tax that can be anywhere from 5% to 15%, Goods and Services Tax and a Harmonized Salas Tax, sort of a Value Added Tax. Shipping also costs more to Canada as well. That leaves him with $111.44 for taxes and shipping. Whether that's enough to cover everything, I don't know. If he paid the same tax (7.5%) and shipping as I pay here, it would cost $731.57 American which would make it $771.51 CAD. That means that he would have $28.43 CAD left to pay the difference. It really all depends on where he lives. If he can't cover it, I would recommend the 250 for now, and add another large drive when he can better afford it.

Best Regards,
    Russ

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Two drives, in my eyes, are so much more versatile than one, it just makes sense in my opinion. That said, I only tend to do it for higher budget builds, as people want maximised performance out of lower budget builds, and compromising said performance for slight versatility benefits usually isn't going to pay off.

Ddp: I'm well aware, I'm from the UK where the currency is not dollars. However, I cited it since it was with regard to a canadian.

20. M1986

M1986 Guest

All great answers. Don't argue guys we are all tech guys here =) I can see where Will is coming from on the 2 drives point. The reason being is because I used to have a WD HD that decided that it wanted to fail one day. I panicked because it was my primary drive and it had a load of Movies, Music, Pictures, and Games on it. It was a good thing I managed to fix the drive because I would have been pissed if I lost all that stuff. Unfortunately for me I recovered everything except the games from the HD. The sad part is most of those amazing games on that HD you can't find anywhere anymore =( So if I had the choice I would most likely go with 2 drives. I am sure my buddy has a 40GB Sata drive Kicking around somewhere.

Bigwill - I will buy that case from you. Will you accept Paypal? It will be shipping to Toronto Canada