1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Mike, I'm sure those games can be found again. The internet is far to vast. I've just about given up on things, only to find them soon after. ;)

2. M1986

M1986 Guest

Maybe your right. I never bought those games. I always downloaded the cracked versions off Kazaa when Kazaa was still up and running for free. The games are Quake Arena 3 with full Bid For Power Game Mod. Star Trek Armada 1 and 2, Need for Speed 2, Unreal Tournament, and the list goes on. Cant find those anywhere Omega but maybe I am searching in the wrong place =)

3. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

I'm cleaning it up right now for Ya.Lol Hit me up on a PM

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can get all of those games really easily actually, you're just not looking in the right places ;-)

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I pm'd him ;)

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I agree totally about two or more drives. I was trying to get Will to understand that when you are on a budget, you do what you need to do for now, and add the luxuries later. That's why my final suggestion was for Mike to get the 250GB drive for now, and add another drive when he can. It's also why I didn't recommend the 750GB drive at this time. Under those circumstances I see no way to spend twice as much money just for the luxury of having two drives right now, especially since Mike's money is tight. This way Mike winds up with a fully functional and fast computer, that he can add anything he wants to, in the future.

With Will's talk of drives failing and losing everything, I would like to point out that I have only replaced two drives because of failure, in 22 years, and one that was in a computer my Dentist gave to me in 04, that was still under warranty. I also had to return the one that Fedex Air Mailed into the middle of my front yard. My current boot drive is 5 years old (Seagate 160GB) and still going strong. I bought it when I built the D-940, and it's been with me through the E4300, the E7650, the AMD 7750, the 630 Quad and now the 955BE Quad. The only problems I ever had with it were caused by File Corruption, that was in turn, caused by a faulty SouthBridge chip. All I had to do to it was wipe it clean with Kill Disk, and it was as good as new.

BTW, Canadian money is in Dollars, They just aren't US Dollars. :)

Russ

7. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

bigwill, the canadian dollar is presently worth 95.2 cents to the us greenback. the canadian dollar hasn't been 80 cents for at least 3yrs & has even been higher then the us greenback a couple of times the past couple of years.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

M1986,
    Rest assured that if the PSU has been unplugged for 2 days, there's no electricity left in it! Capacitors of the size and type that go in a PSU won't hold a charge that long! Besides you could always discharge them with a screwdriver between the case and the Cap! I doubt that they store a life threatening charge. I've repaired many a PSU over the years, and never got a shock.

Russ

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  10. M1986

M1986 Guest

Hey Will I know are money is low but damn 80 cents lol ya it hasn't been that low in a long time. As a matter of fact for one day the Canadian Dollar was at $1.10 to the U.S. Today it floats between .95 to .98

At Russ - I think I will keep my fingers far away from the capacitors =)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2010
  11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I recommend you edit your post mike. That's why I Pm'd you.

If you're unsure how to PM, click on the arrow next to a users name, you'll know what to do from there ;)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  13. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

direct link to torrents is a no, but you can link to the site hosting them, right?

14. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

AFAIK saying the name of the site would be reasonable. But yes directly linking to a pirated torrent is strictly prohibited. If such talk must occur, the private messaging system is there for a reason. Works a treat too.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Linking to any site that has a primary objective of providing, or even indxexing, illegal content would be against forum rules. I think naming them is OK, but officially you can't endorse them.
    So far, touch wood, I haven't lost a drive/data to one failing, only to ones that have been destroyed by faulty power cables or power supplies, and assuming you take decent care of hardware and don't buy fundamentally flawed products, that should be everyone's story, really. Things do happen, but it's not especially common.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I guess that would mean I've only had one failure in about 22 years then, because one of the two was caused by a cheap PSU. I RMA'd a SCSI back in the day, but there was nothing wrong with it. I had no idea what a terminating resistor was, and there was no google to help you out back then! LOL!! I may have had to RMA one or two from Customer builds, but I really don't recall any.

Russ

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

One of my work buddy's asked me to replace his Xbox 360 HDD. He says his hard drive is wacked. I'm hoping it's not soo toast, that I can't clone the data contained therein. If I can clone the drive, it'll be like it never happened. I've been reading about them off and on for the past day. Looks like they take a 2.5" typical mechanical laptop drive. And also from the looks of things, Seagate may have been typically used to cut costs. Nice one M$ LOL!

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Omega: Was my understanding most of the drives MS used are Toshiba, since Toshiba and MS are affiliated. Why is Seagate suddenly a marker for cheapness?
    SamRobert: Welcome to the thread. Bit of a madhouse in here, but you'll get used to it!
    If you want to overclock, certainly a custom-built PC is the way to go, while I wouldn't say prebuilt off the shelf PCs are crap, they're typically low-spec, and for anything but cheap office systems, are poor value for money.
    The main problem with prebuilts, especially Dells, is the lack of any overclocking options whatsoever.
    It's been a long time since I've seen anyone with an Athlon XP AGP system so I'm unfamiliar with the details (I wasn't into overclocking back then) but I will say you're on a hide into nothing trying to get extra performance out of it. Even with a good cooler you're not going to get the sort of performance gain you will actually notice in real-world use of the system.
    As for your current stability issues, check the memory speed. Overclocking the FSB will raise the memory speed automatically unless you cut the memory multiplier, and if you're over-running the memory, that will certainly cause stability issues.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That statement was unwarranted :p I was in one of my moods. It ended up being a Fujitsu drive. I suppose a similar thought remains though. Generally, WD is the more expensive drive, and M$ from what I've seen and heard keep the drives cheap, to maximize profits. Though I have heard of a few systems getting the WD drives.

20. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Not if you loosen up the timing a little will not have stability issues and the voltage is at the proper setting only problem is you will reduce the memory system performance running loose timing in some aspects tigher timings are always better @ stock, but when your oc'ing if you loosen the timings it puts less strain on the ram so its more stable, so you always want to go with the tightest ram you can, that way, if you decide to lossen up the timings the performance loss isnt as bad.