1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Overclocking is still somewhat of a challenge for me. Especially terminology. Could you explain the difference between tight and loose timing? Examples? When you say tight and loose, are you referring to Cas Latency? 9 would be loose, 7 would be tighter?

2. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

If you bought some Cas7 and time them to 9 they would be loose for sure.Lol and you would have to be at one heck of Oc for to have them that loose to be stable, Naw the point is Omegaman the smaller cycle times represent quicker operation for the stick,as. I see your timing is 8-8-8-24 if you would by chance,change it to 8-8-8-21 you would shave a few Ns off your Cycle times and still be stable These days when we buy some memory they come loose say for instants when.I got my G.Skill the timing said 8-8-8-21 but when. I plugged it in it ran at 9-9-9-24 freely. I had to tighten it up factory specs

Here you go...
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261138-30-understanding-memory-timings

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2010
  3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ok. I think I understand. Thanks! :D

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I tend typically not to refer to already slow memory as loose, e.g. 1600mhz CAS9 versus 1600mhz CAS7. But if you increase the timings of said 1600mhz CAS7 to CAS9 so you can clock the memory higher than 1600mhz (the only reason you ever need to do this unless the memory is faulty) then that's loosening the timings.
    If you'd bought the CAS9 stuff and wanted to drop the timings to CAS8, that would be tightening them.

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Ugh again another reason I prefer AMD Black Edition processors. Buy memory at the spec you want, leave it there and OC the CPU entirely separately. No muss, no fuss, no headache. Memory still confuses me.

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ahh yes. But fine tuning ;)

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Oh for sure but I'm more worried about stability. Adding in the factor of timings, memory clock, etc causes stability headaches. I'd much rather run my memory as close to stock as possible and just buy accordingly for better performance. Memory is not like processors where there is a guaranteed speed range. Most of the time, running outside of the stock spec just means headaches.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, arguably there are now the K series CPUs from Intel that do the same thing, but for LGA1156 it's largely unnecessary since the current chips are so resilient to baseclock increases, and have such a good set of memory multipliers.

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah it's been made much easier in recent times. But even with my Q6600 which was OCd using the FSB, I have tried to keep the memory as close to stock as possible. AFAIK stability issues due to raising the FSB itself are largely down to the motherboard, not the CPU.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Q6600s were easier to overclock than Q9000s effectively, as they only had a 266mhz front side bus with the same minimum memory multiplier, so on 800mhz memory you could get a 50% overclock, or 2.4->3.6Ghz. Q9550s with the 333mhz front side bus could only use a 20% overclock, or 2.83->3.4Ghz (what I'm currently using with mine, though with 2.66x multiplier for 1066mhz memory). 1066mhz memory was an absolute necessity for overclocking Yorkfields, but with the Q9550, you could get as far as 4.53Ghz with it, if the chip allowed it (typically that was WC only).
    QX9650s mind, you just left the FSB at 400, and upped the multi to 11, 4.4Ghz at stock board settings, job done. There's a reason those chips were so expensive!

All the CPU really controls is how much VCore you need. Everything else is down to the board, if you can't get stable no matter how high the CPU Vcore goes, the board is holding you back.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I'm not sure I totally agree with that. My E6750 was never able to run stable above 3.55GHz, yet the replacement I got from Intel was good for at least 3.8GHz. I never got the chance to go beyond that because I sold it, so I stopped messing with it!

Russ

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hence largely, not always. It's certainly the case that CPUs can be bad overclockers, my Q6600 was terrible compared to Jeff's, but it basically comes down to voltage. Be more adventurous and you can go a little bit further, but of course every CPU has a point at which it's dangerous to go any further and faster, and in the case of your 6750 and my 6600, that was far below the limits for other people's CPUs. Not all chips are equal.

13. M1986

M1986 Guest

hey hows it going guys? =) Just dropping in to say hi. Unfortunately work is keeping me extremely busy =( trying to save up to go back to school to finish my computer engineering course. Also saving up for my trip to Japan if it ever happens...so no time for fun or forums these days =( Whats new in the computer hardware world? Gates or Jobs working on any new and improved software yet?

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not much in the realm of Software that I know of, new CPU generation is approaching within the next few months. Intel's Sandy Bridge update of the i7 platform is due soon, along with their new, bigger 25nm SSD products. AMD's bulldozer CPU platform should be epic and is due some time next year. The AMD Radeon 6000 series is due by the end of the year, but won't be a huge leap in performance as it's still on a 40nm process.

15. MusicMan3

MusicMan3 Guest

I recently decided to overclock my Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.0ghz to 3.6ghz. I know what to do and how to do it, but I can't seem to stabilize the system. It runs about 50c underload when I get it clocked so I don't think its over heating.

So here's the settings for the longest lasting overclock before it froze up.
    Vcore - 1.34
    FSB - 1600
    NB - 1.34
    Multiplier - 9

I've got the Asus P5N-D motherboard. If anyone knows anything that could help me out that would be awesome. Thank you

16. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

What stepping do you have CO or The EO and another thing what type of memory you have Brand and Speed 800mhz or 1066mhz and your Vcore should'en be that hi for such at a small oc at 3.6 if you got a EO stepping...Here's mine back in the Day . I still got the cpu and the Board I45. I Ran this Clock speed for the longest until. I bought the Q9550 and The Gigabyte Ep45-UD3P I hit 4.5 stable with the E8400 stable at max volts 1.362v but. I did'nt want to risk damaging it on air cooling and Y keep it that high any way ,Your Oc your trying to get my depend on your setup your using also just to let you know...

[​IMG]

CPU_Z Validator T Power KinG of Oc'ing the Dual Cores

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=451544

All Yea...I Rocked the Q9550 at Max Volts specs at a good speed it's rests at 3.9 now for the last year like a Ford 390 Block. Lol, No need to blow it up it's been good to me:)

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=864809

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
  17. MusicMan3

MusicMan3 Guest

Well I'm not sure what you mean by CO and EO...
    My memory is 4gig (2gX2) Corsair 800mhz at 5-5-5-18

18. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Stepping Chart for the E8400 click on the / sSpecs / Steppings on the left side look where it saids step
    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33910

And how you can also tell is By CPU-Z also when you bring it up....
    [​IMG]
    and. I hope you don't have a factory cooler on that cpu cause oc'ing is not good with factory coolers:(

Corsair pretty good brand you got a link to it? like to Newegg? so. I can see what type? 1066 would be better cause you'll have more run to play with Oc'ing it

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The stock cooler will allow overclocks, just not really overvolts, so you'll struggle to reach really high clock speeds.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The stock cooler will allow overclocks, just not really overvolts, so you'll struggle to reach really high clock speeds.