1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Interesting. You have a double post, and I got two emails. That's never happened before...

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Happening a lot lately, in multiple threads.

3. MusicMan3

MusicMan3 Guest

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184
    Thats the memory I have.
    My stepping is EO
    I'm not using the factory cooler. I'm not sure what its called but it's a giant cone shaped Zalman fan/heatsink.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They're not very good coolers, but they're good enough to overclock a Dual core, you shouldn't have any problems there.

5. MusicMan3

MusicMan3 Guest

I wasn't exactly worried about heat. The problem is that I can't find a stable vcore/NB voltage.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You shouldn't need to raise the NB voltage much. Unfortunately nForce boards are very poor overclockers, so you may have to play around with it a bit.

7. MusicMan3

MusicMan3 Guest

So should I just leave it at auto? Or maybe try lowering to around 1.2ish?

8. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I never leave anything at auto when OCing since it sometimes raises the voltage past safe limits.

9. MusicMan3

MusicMan3 Guest

So what's a stable setting that people have found for this board/cpu? What's the relation between vcore and the nb voltage? Should I be getting the closest I can to matching the values?

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Chips and boards are not so cut-and-dried. Each chip, each board, has their own quirks. I would however imagine that they have a general similarity.
    I know nothing about intel. AMD always seems to fit my bill. Not really a fanboy, it just works out that way every time.

11. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

On my UD3P board everything is on Normal accepted my cpu volts and Memory which is set at 2.1v and my cpu volts are 1.337v with vDrop of 1.312v...

Try Normal for everthing else if that board has That settings the Memory at 2.0v it's safe to do and Play around with the cpu volts by dropping them a little and see if you get a stable run you should be able to get that EO 8400 to run 3.8ghz with that 800mhz Corsair. I had my Old 4-4-4-12 corsair like those you got there run at 896mhz b4...Best of luck

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2010
  12. Random5

Random5 Member

Hello gents, long time no see.

You guys might not remember me, but the regulars among you helped me build a PC a while back and about a year later you helped me to overclock it. Well the rig has evolved since then, last week it looked like this....

O/S: Windows 7 64 bit
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 overclocked to 4.00GHz (cooled by a thermalright ultra)
    Mobo: Gigabyte S775 Intel P35S-DS3R
    RAM: OCZ Technology 2x2GB 240DIMM PC2-6400 Gold at 890Mhz
    GFX: Club3D HD4870X2 (Not overclocked yet)
    PSU:OCZ Technology StealthXStream 600W Active PFC

However the mobo gave in, and its dead, so I replaced it with a ASUS P5QD Turbo. And I'm pretty happy with it. Simple installation, no problems.
    However while I was ordering the motherboard I also decided to get another 2 gig of ram.
    So sticking with OCZ gold I ordered 2x 1GB sticks. The plan being to plug them in a second channel along side my two 2GB sticks.

It all worked fine. 6GB of ram, happy days.

Until I decided to restore my old overclock. I achieved my old OC by bumping up the FSB to 444 (x9) for a 4GHz OC. However when I tried it with my new setup, no dice even upping the FSB by 20 meant the rig wouldn't even post. I tried everything, I guess I knew at the back of my mind that the culprit was the memory but I didn't want to believe it because I want my 6GB of ram!

Eventually I gave in and took out the 1GB sticks, and achieved my old OC with out breaking a sweat, even cooler than before in fact. So. I know what the problem is, but what I don't know is why its happening or how to fix it. I still want my 6GB!

Any ideas? I mean its the same ram, just different sizes, why will the overclock work at 4 gig and not at 6?

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Random5,
    Generally when you overclock on an Intel, you can't populate all 4 memory slots. It gives problems, as you found out. It also helps to use the same type of memory sticks as well, not just the brand, but the spec!

Russ

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

nice too see the upgrade haha.

but seriously, have you tired increasing the north bridge voltage? with more RAM, its being stressed more.

15. Random5

Random5 Member

Thanks for the reply Russ.

Well, they are the same spec, same product (OCZ gold, the only difference in the spec is the size), so I guess the problem lies in the filling of all the slots. I wasn't aware of that one. So there's nothing I can do?

Alan.

16. Random5

Random5 Member

Haven't tried that shaffaaf. I presume thats called "NB voltage" in the ASUS bios? I've left it on auto, so I assumed it would bump itself up.

I don't know what the default is or what I should increase it by?

17. Random5

Random5 Member

Had a look here and it looks like i should be looking at about 1.3V.... I wonder if the auto setting is actually going that far or should I set it manually.... Hmmm.

18. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I have zero experience overclocking intel. But I have had experience overclocking with 4 sticks of Ram. No matter what I do, I cannot break the 3.5Ghz barrier on my 940 Phenom Build. I just removed my 4 X 2gb 8500 Mushkin Ram, and replaced with Gskill 2 x 2gb 6400 ram. I have to sell my mushkin Ram, so it looks like now I can try to overclock her again :D

Everyones configuration is different though. You have to play play play with it LOL! The higher the overclock, the more finicky it is...

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

omega, 32bit or 64bit windows?

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

64, so I can utilize all the ram ;)