1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thats slowed me down to 40.531. what about the burst length and what is setup NB TOM registor. it has 5 ram voltage settings it has very high aswel

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  2. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,
    OK,
    set the ram @ 2.5,3,3,6 if it won't complete super pi change TRAS to 7.
    Leave the ram on medium for now.
    Set the burst length at 8 this will give you more bandwidth,if it's not stable set it to 4.
    Not sure what NB TOM registor is.What options does it give you??

3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

off + on
    that gives me 39.969

4. crowy

crowy Guest

I would leave the NB tom thing for now.
    Now try to increase your cpu bus speed 1mhz and see how you go.

5. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

242 is still the max, any higher than that and bsod, i ran spi every time to check it and at 241 it completed but locked up on completion i then dropped the ram to 133 and it worked but took 42sec to complete.

240x10 with ram @166 2.5 3 3 8 =39.203
    240x10 with ram @166 2.5 3 3 6 =39.605

[bold]edit[/bold]
    just downloaded pdf manual, i now uderstand what you was on about(page 27 from manual in the box is in chinese) your right that says it goes from .800 to 1.5 but the refference cpu in those pics is athlon it also says you can up the multi to 11 but with my semperon it only alows me x10 and the voltage goes from.700 to 1.45, alltho cpuz is telling me that its 1.48 right now. and both have no mention of the nb tom register

6. crowy

crowy Guest

Try setting the ram voltage to high and set it to 200mhz.
    I wish you could up the voltage of the processor that would make a huge difference.
    eg:
    [​IMG]

In your bios where it says overclock mode have you set that to manual?
    You can only lower the multi not raise it unless you have an FX series processor.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2006
  7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

yes overclock is set to manual, its the only way to change the frequency. after seeing that so do i, but mines also a different revision if that makes any difference. mines a DH-E6

[bold]edit[/bold]
    with which other settings 241 and 166?

8. crowy

crowy Guest

Different revisions do make a difference.Yours may overclock better,or it may not overclock as well.Did you try setting the ram voltage to high and 200mhz?

9. crowy

crowy Guest

cpu @ 241mhz,memory @200mhz voltage set to high.

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

tried 241/166high and it worked, 242/166high bsod at login then tried nb link @600 still bsod at login back to 241/166high@800 bsod had to drop to 238/166med@800 to boot and spi competed

sorry about the delay my 5 month old daughter woke up for her feed

[bold]edit[/bold]
    tried it(241/200high) and it wouldn't post, but i found out that pressing reset during a failed post resets the bios and that saved me a job. now running at 240/166med and just got superpi down to 39.078(7e9c75fo) which is a pb. i think that we have hit the limits for this voltage, or maybe this chip what do you think?
    i will have to look if i can get an updated/hacked bios if it will allow the voltage to be changed

11. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,
    Sorry also for the delay,just been to the shops.
    What are your ram timings at now?
    By all means look for an updated or 3rd party bios.
    A different bios can make a world of difference.

12. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,Go here:
    http://www.asrock.com/support/download.asp?Model=K8NF4G-SATA2

Download bios version 1.2
    Apparently when bios version 1.3 was released they disabled the cpu voltage Adjustment.Click on the lightglobe icon for instructions how to update.Also download the version 1.7 bios so if you encounter problems with 1.2(unlikely) you can flash back to the latest version.

This is from the asrock site:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2006
  13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thanks for the link but thats not my mobo, mines the newwer model the k8nf4g vsta and the bios is 2.1 the guy in the shop said i was the first one he'd sold, he said that it has better sound, can take amd or intel heat sink's and looks like a better designed board.

2.5 3 3 8 1t

now im realy tired cos iv been up all night its now 8:10 and i need to get a couple of hours sleep.

thanks for the help phil

http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/125584.png

14. crowy

crowy Guest

Sorry to send you off on a wild goosechase Phil!!!
    I should have read the fine print!!
    Actually all things considered after looking at your cpuz screen shot,Your bus speed is 959.9mhz... thats nearly perfect!!Remember thats DDR so times that by 2 and you have 1919.8mhz.Just under the default of 2000mhz.Anyware between 1800-2000mhz is acceptible.And youv'e gained nearly 400 mhz over stock. Thats not bad considering cpu overvoltage is'nt available.Your under 40 secs super pi thats ok.Now the real test.
    Run prime 95.I consider 12 hours prime with no errors stable(for what I do anyway).Give it a go post the results.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2006
  15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i will get it in a min and leave it running over night tonight as i will be asleep, i only got 3 hours before,then post it tomorrow.

on a slighly differnt note, ihave in the past said that 3dmarks is a bullpooh way to measure your pcs compitence, but this was said without any basis, i had never used it so realy should not of voiced an uneducated opinion. a friend gave me a copy of 06 last night and told me to run it before sprouting anymore verbal diarea(nice i know) so before i did. i was surprised by what it did, and some of the vids it runs are very impresive. now i would have to say i have changed my opinion now. if you can get a copy, give it a go and see what you think you may be surprised. anyway i was by my scores now,
    3dmark -3198
    sm 2.0 -1460
    hdr/sm 3.0 -1287
    cpu -926

amd 3400+ cpu score should be 700 which gives me a 30+% increase and my gpus stock is sm2 812 and sm3 1032

iv oced that aswell core is now 600 and ram is 1500 effective and the amount that has upped it from stock has pleased me it puts me on par with a x1900gt on sm 2.0 and in between 2 7600gs's in sli and a 7800gt on sm 3.0 on their stock speeds

[bold]edit[/bold]
    it ran for the grand total of 8 hours and 47 minutes before a fatal error, a 5 that should of been less than 4 stopped it from running.

dont be crowy you have gave me loads of help. they make 3 boards that they name almost identicle it will cause confusion, the thing is i need to get a floppy so that i can flash the bios first, do you know if i can use an external usb, or does it have to be an internal one

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  16. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,
    Damn I hate that 5/4 error!!
    I would say depending on what you do with the computer your stable.Unless your heavily into games.If your playing games and you get lock ups drop it 2 mhz.If that gives you stability,good.If not,drop it another 2 mhz etc.
    I've only ever flashed from floppy,but I'm sure you can flash from an external source. Try Googling I'm sure it can be done.One other thing,I have several friends with computers and none have floppy drives.I think today the humble floppy is often overlooked.It should be a compulsory part of the hardware.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2006
  17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

im hoping to play some games when time permits thats why i bought this board so i could get a pcie card. i had a look and i can flash the bios from windows but if that fails i think i would need to it from dos at which piont i would need the floppy.

have you heard of wire modding? because on this

http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html (click on workshop on the left)

site they show you which wires to do to get upto 1.55v do you think it would be worth it after what prime95 has said or do you think the extra volts might help it?

its the other option i have found

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  18. crowy

crowy Guest

Yes I've heard of hardwire moddding and yes the extra vcore will certainly make a difference.
    If you feel confident go for it.If not,be happy with what youv'e got!!

19. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i am more than happy with it just look at the scores, my cpu is on par with athlon 3800 clawhammers which cost nearly twice as much as my sempron at the time i got it.

i think i might leave it as it is for now, and the realy push it after xmas just before i upgade to dual core/ddr2.

[bold]thanks alot again crowy[/bold] without you im not sure how far i would of pushed it or if id of had the balls to do it at all. everytime my pc puts a smile on my face from now on it will make me think of you, [bold]you starman[/bold]

nice1, phil

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Marsey99,
    I'm almost pos that it will have to be an internal floppy because the only drive A the bios is capable of seeing would be the internal as the only OS at that point is provided by the BIOS. Even for my recent RAID 1, it had to be the floppy drive A. You can't assign a USB drive A in the BIOS, even if you boot from a USB device.

Most newer MBs have built-it support for USB 2.0. It's not full support, but rather a compatibility mode that allows you to boot from it. Once SP-2 is installed, you can install the full 2.0! Even if you used 2 floppys, it will only boot from the BIOS assigned A drive and even then it will only be the end connector on the cable as it's not addressable by anything but the cable itself. The end is always A and the middle is always B! Unless you are using a dual 3.50/5.25 floppy drive and they don't make them anymore. I have one but I rarely ever use it. Once in a rare while I come across someome with pics stored on a 5.25 and I use it to transfer the data to a 3.50.

Happy Computering,
    theone