1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I assume the memory multipliers were set correctly by the way, as if you're overclocking your RAM to achieve that speed, then not all sticks can handle the same overclock.
    [You shouldn't really ever overclock memory].
    If you're at 444FSB, the lowest you could be running memory is 888mhz. If it's 800mhz memory, there's no surprise it doesn't work.

2. Random5

Random5 Member

Nope, I'll try that later. But even if it does work, what does it prove?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, that depends. If you bought 800mhz memory and expected it to get you to 4Ghz, you are sorely mistaken. If you bought 1066mhz memory it could mean the memory is bad, which knowing OCZ, wouldn't surprise me.

4. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

what voltage are you putting throug the ram?

5. Random5

Random5 Member

2.1, its the max the ram is rated for by OCZ. I suppose I could go higher. I'll have a look at some forums and see what other people are running at.

6. Random5

Random5 Member

It is 800mhz, both the 2x2GB and the 2x1GB. The 2x2GB is running at 1067mhz, no problem and stable as a rock, and has been for over a year now.

This is the 1GB stick

And this is the 2GB stick

Edit: I've just noticed the TRAS on the 1GB is 15, and on the 2GB its 18. Apart from that there is no difference in the spec.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Expecting 800mhz to run at 1066mhz.
    End of story.

800 to 1066 is a ludicrous expectation, most 800mhz memory will not run over 900mhz. Often, not over 850.
    If you wanted to keep your overclock you should have bought 1066mhz memory.

8. Random5

Random5 Member

But it is running at 1067?! Well, 532MHz dual channel. It always has been, with the overclock of 4GHz.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, one set. That's unusual, and expecting the other set to do it is absolutely barmy.

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've had mixed sets run before. I was under the impression that the PC downclocks the quicker ram to the slower modules speed. That was a long time ago. I knew almost nothing back then LOL! I still have a long way to go ;)

11. Random5

Random5 Member

Ok, fair enough.

12. Random5

Random5 Member

It doesn't need to downclock, they have the same specs.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Oops! I misunderstood somewhere :S

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, you were right omega, Random5 doesn't seem to understand that all memory does not overclock to crazy levels. He's got very lucky with some 800mhz RAM that overclocks to 1066 and seems to assume all memory does it, when in fact it's very rare.

15. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

The 2GB kit in my Intel build uses Micron D9 chips and will, in fact, do 1066 perfectly stable. But foor the sake of longevity, I have tried to leave them as close to stock as possible. 824MHz IIRC.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I believe 855 was the limit of the standard Corsair XMS2 I bought.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    If your memory is EPP, turn that on in your setup (MIT) and set it to EPP control. My 1066 Dominators run beautifully that way. Unless you have increased the CPU Host Frequency above 200, your memory will run at 800MHz, and the timings will be changed by the EPP as needed. It makes a noticeable difference in overall memory performance! If there is no EPP in your setup list, then you don't have EPP memory!

Russ

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I personally don't trust EPP for my memory settings nor have I found it to be stable or useful even at stock speeds for everything. It seems better at first, but eventually I am plagued with stability and performance issues that disappear completely when I disable EPP control and voltage. Auto settings are almost never useful for OCing due to the fine degree of control you need.

The RAM is Mushkin XP Enhanced DDR2-800 with a CL of 4-4-3-10 and I assure you it does support EPP properly. At $240 at the time of purchase it was basically the most expensive and high quality 2GB kit you could purchase at the time.

ON another note I am having trouble holding 3.8GHz at my current settings. Russ, seeing as we have an identical board and CPU, could you PM me a full list of settings and changes you made to get 3.8GHz stable? I mean everything. Would really be a big help. Also, I will have my Eco-120 at Christmas so keep that in mind. Any changes made to accommodate the different cooler would be welcome.

Also if you could fill me in on the proper use of EPP I would be grateful. Just enabling it doesn't mean much to me. What does it do, why should I use it, and how can I keep it stable?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    I'll be more than happy to do that. I'll get those settings as soon as I post this! On the EPP, you need to enable it first, then on the next line down set it for EPP to control the memory. I've been using it for a couple of years now with my Dominators, first the 2x1s and now with the 2x2s, both sets at 1066. It works fantastic!

With the Coolit, I take a fan from one of the older AMD coolers and slip it in between the 2 plastic knobs on the video card side of the pump, with the open side of the fan towards the pump. It may or not fit snug, so I put a couple of zip ties together and slip it under the metal arms that hold the cooler in place and around the fan, to be sure it stays in place. That helps cool the Northbridge, since there is no fan at the CPU with the CoolIt I also removed the two blue covers from the NB and VRM heat sinks, because they do more harm than good. They look pretty, but block the airflow to the heat sink itself. They are only held on with thermal tape, anyway and don't make a whole lot of contact with the heat sink. I save them so if I ever have to send the motherboard back, I can put them back on.

You can also PM me at edited by ddp

Happy Holidays,
    Russ

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lazy I know, but I rarely use anything but auto overclocks for my systems. Occasionally I raise the CPU Vcore, and in the old days I raised the NB Vcore for the sake of crossfire as well. The i5 750 runs happily at 4.1Ghz on auto.