1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

russ, post edited as per forum rules.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ddp,
    I'm so sorry. I'm so used to posts like this that are PMs, it never crossed my mind. I don't ever remember doing that in all the years I've been here.

Happy Holidays
    [​IMG]

3. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

It seem to me that if you let everything run at Auto with high Oc the system will take over and push it pass the limit of factory voltages for the cpu to match they say you want more speed you need more power to hold that speed. I don't understand meaning of auto overclocking to me it's a easy way out a true overclocker uses manual settings and test his setting up against programs such as Prime95,intelburn test,Sandra and many more that's out there to see if his setting are stable or not. I'm just saying.I rather drive a 5 speed manual than a automatic cause the mamual saves gas in the long run so why not try to get the highest clock speed you can by dropping or managing your voltages under factory specs for the cpu.With my first AMD build the 965BE or any other amd cpu it takes alot of voltages to get a high oc out them jokers now that's a fact with the Intel 775 cpu's with my Q9550 at 2.83ghz to 3.93Ghz it took 0.287 extra voltages to hold it stable setting at 1.337v vdroop to 1.312v in cpuz so what that a 0.025 drop with the limit on the cpu of 1.362v now the Vdroop is less in AMD Gigabyte boards my setting are 1.400v to a cpuz showing of 1.392v at 3.876Ghz stable memory running at 1360mhz from 1333mhz so it oc'd over 27mhz running a latency of 47.7 ns with timing of (9-9-9-21 CR1) that's pretty good and all manual setting...But what. I heard that the I5's and I7's supposed be the better overclocker when it comes to voltage that they take less to OC and hold stable if. I can get 1.0ghz out of a cpu. I buy. I'm happy without going over factory specs voltage it's a done deal it should'en take that much volts to do that but In AMD Case it does. I found out on my own.I'm not knock'en AMD at all cause. I have one myself just in the Oc part it just takes to much to get alittle oc out of them but there better cpu's when it comes to gaming. I believe my 965BE is my Gaming Rig only. I find myself on it more to learn more about it also...But Sam to each his own on how they Oc there own Rig's like. I say where here to learn from each other and help others that come along you helped me in the video aspect video card choices thank you very much, Russ has helped me with AMD points, Creaky has showed me pointer on Storage and Hard Drives,Greenmans has did his part in DVD Burners helping and Rob also. I've helped with Oc'ing and Memory choices and timing as well we all have helped out in some parts...But if you have that Q9950 like me you should be Rock'en at 3.9 like me..Lol at 24c idling temps

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Auto voltage usually has a maximum allowable voltage. For the 1.325V E4300 I had, neither of the boards I overclocked it with would auto a voltage any higher than 1.4V.
    Manual overclocking and manual transmission is an interesting analogy, I kind of see where you're coming from with that, but to say a 'true overclocker' pushes all the settings, while true, is a bit of a farse these days. Automatic overclocking has got my i5 beyond 4Ghz nice and stable. The benefits you get from manual overclocking, in the terms of a realistic long-term stable setup, not just a benchmark muncher, are so slim nowadays it hardly seems bothering with. This is at least true of LGA775 and LGA1156/1366, whether it's true for AMDs I can't say but if not, that's a disadvantage, not really confirmation of the statement.
    Not sure how you worked out the maths for the Q9550, 1.337-0.287=1.05V, and that's not the stock for them, it's usually 1.25V, I think the lowest they ever were was 1.20V.
    Saying Vdroop is less in AMD gigabyte boards is purely coincidental, it depends on the load of the CPU, and how good the voltage regulation is. The more you spend the better it's likely to be. It's a bit like saying 'GMs are faster than Fords' or vice versa, it's a totally irrelevant statement without specific cases.

5. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

your right Sam 1.25v is the Vid is default at 2.83ghz stock so that's 0.087v bump to hold 3.935GHz Stable.I was'nt woke yet not enough coffee. My Bad. I'm just saying Auto takes the fun out finding your own stability and searching for the right setting to hold your cpu stable without the assistants from auto and auto should be used for factory settings...

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The way I see it, if you can make life easier for yourself, why wouldn't you? If I'm going for the highest possible clocks I'll use manual, otherwise I don't really see what I'm missing out on. I don't actually find overclocking that fun, only the gains I get from it :p

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I agree with sam. But I generally don't like pushing it to far. If I do, I will probably go for manual settings though. I hate the idea of frying the cpu :S

8. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Omega

you can't be on auto setting now with your 965BE not at 3.9. I agree I don't wanna fry my cpu's either but the trick is to see how far to get it oc'd without goin over the voltage limit guys why be afraid to try if you already know the voltage limit. I'm just saying a extra 1.0ghz won't hurt none it's the point what it takes to hold it there...nobody adventurous no more step outside the box once in a wild.. you got the key to open the door...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2010
  9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Possibly, the 965 C3s do overclock a damnsight easier than earlier Phenom IIs, from what I've read.

10. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Yea but you known they run a little warmer also that's why. I slapped the Coolit on it to Help instead of a 4 pipe cooler. I had issues when. I first got it holding a 46c idle temp with air Oc'd now it's riding at between 34 to 37 at times at idle...That's fine

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

46C idle is fine, it's the load temps you'll have issues with :p

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

It was freaky easy to get it stable at 3.9. I don't doubt that 4+ is possible :p Oddly, raising the Vcore destabilizes the clock. It's very happy where its at. I would like another 2 - 300 mhz though...
    Perhaps when I get Bulldozer, I'll boost the 965 to her limit :D I'll get another water cooler. Perhaps an even better one next time.

I currently idle around 30C. Usually less :p Load temps are around 40 - 45C. Can't wait to play with even better water, and take her further. The 955 has seen freakishly high clocks with Liquid Nitrogen. I believe its the quad overclock champion. Not that I would ever dream of going that far...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  13. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Merry Christmas Guys and Gals.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Merry christmas everyone :)

15. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Same to you Sam and Guys

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    My MA790X-UD4P has Split Power Plane, 8+2 phase VRM. Vdroop is not a problem. After 20 years of Intels, I'm still learning things about overclocking AMDs.

Merry Christmas, and I hope father Christmas is good to you,
    Russ
    [​IMG]

17. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Mmm loving my 790X-UD4P even more now. Took the ECO like they were match made :D

Russ, can you further explain where the AMD fan should go on my board? The NB or the VRM heatsink? I have the fan, and several others, from old and new coolers alike.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

From a neutral standpoint I'd say the northbridge. Unless you can feel the VRM heatsink being too hot, it's not going to be an issue. Chipset cooling on the other hand is always a good idea.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    looking into the tower, you basically want the fan to blow down toward the NB and video card. It fits nicely in between the lower pump housing and the two black knobs you tighten the pump/heatsink down to the motherboard with. I stick the fan in there and leave the fan centered so that the fan sticks out evenly on each side of the black knobs, and put a large Zip tie under the bracket and over the fan to hold it in place, just to be safe. Mine fits pretty snugly. You can't use the fan from the heatpipe coolers, as the fan is 5mm thicker. the ones from the basic coolers works very well. Don't worry that the fan runs at 3200 rpm, as you can't hear it at all, because the area is so open and there's nothing that interferes with the airflow. It's very effective!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
    Russ
    [​IMG]

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

What kind of CPU temps are you currently getting and what kind of fan setup are you using on the radiator? It seems mine is running a bit warm but my room is toasty too so that could have some bearing. I've been told the improvement from two fans is excellent, so I have two 1600RPM Scythe fans ordered.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010