1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fan vibration's quite a precise thing, you often can't tell in your hand, but you soon will when it's screwed in somewhere. The only whining noise you'll ever get from air resistance is backpressure causing the fan to be resisted.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

I'm far more sensitive to vibration because of the miniature air turbines I've designed. "Vibration is the Enemy"! I've tried the silicone mounts for my case fans, and don't like them. Any imbalance in the blade causes a "Thrumming noise", do to oscillation, no matter how slight. All these high speed miniature turbines are held in place by some fairly sophisticated O-rings, or Quad rings, whose chemical make-up are such that they are soft enough to absorb vibration, yet, stiff enough to limit tilting the axis of the impeller itself. That's no mean feat at 400,000+ rpm. Metal to metal mounting would cause deafness!

I've found that Case fans in a steel case work best if they are tightly screwed down. If even one corner is slightly loose, they make noise. Aluminum cases benefit much more from Silicone mounts, because aluminum is softer, which tends to mute noise more. Screwing them down tightly just stiffens the area around the fan, resulting in more noise than in an already stiffer steel case would. At least that's my findings.

If I could get the MSI 9500GT to control the speed of it's fan properly, my computer would be extremely quiet, like it was with the original card. It roars at startup, but once the video driver software loads, Blessed Silence! Like a night and day difference! I busted my tail to get the right balance of airflow and noise, trying many different combination's of fans, and I'm not about to throw all that hard work away because MSI's product is not working properly newegg will give me back the money towards another video card, but I told them that I didn't think that it was fair to Newegg, so I'm giving it one last shot with MSI. If they don't come through this time and cure both the noise and the video anomaly (which is caused by the GPU, not the memory), then I will accept Neweggs offer and buy a new video card, but it won't be another MSI!

Russ

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yes the small AMD fan is actually pretty quiet. So much so that it was nearly inconsequential to my overall noise level. No vibration or bearing noise to speak of really. And yeah they do move a ton of air for the size.

Russ, for the record my MSI 8800GTS G92 still works like a charm. Relatively quiet with good temps and still reasonable performance. By chance is the 9500GT you got a 3rd party PCB design or is it a reference card? A lot of companies are fine until you use a 3rd party design.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    It's a reference card. The problem is not the design, it's the GPU that's the problem!

Russ

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I would say go for a slightly more enthusiast geared video card considering how often you use your PC. A GTS250 can be found for as low as $110 and are still everywhere in abundance. It would be more powerful, better cooled, better designed, and better suited to your needs. To Nvidia's credit the GTX200 series was actually very good while the GeForce 9s were known to have somewhat of a failure rate and a few lingering issues left from GeForce 8. Not saying that's what you should do but it's what I would do. You certainly have the system to push a decent video card. And it wouldn't be overkill in the slightest. Look what I'm doing with the same CPU :p

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,

I was thinking something more like this one. I'm thinking this would be a better deal the the GTX200 for me!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125342

What do you think?

Russ

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually almost all MSI 9500GT cards are non-reference, yours included, so it's probably just MSI to blame.
    The GTS450 is a considerably better option than the GTS250, it's 106W instead of 140W, it's about 25% faster, and it's DX11. The HD5770 is all-round a better offering, but if you're stuck with nvidia, the GTS450 is the one card from the 400 series card that's not a terrible purchase.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

Thanks! I did a little research and that seemed to be the one to get! I wasn't sure about the wattage though. If I do wind up sending the MSI back to newegg, that's the one I'll buy. No word from MSI yet. So far they don't want to give me another card, which will invalidate the warranty on their part, so I can return it to newegg without a fuss! They insist it's not the card. 3 motherboards can't all be wrong. That and 7 different computers1 LOL!! I know it's the gpu because it's a generated anomaly that only comes up at the post. If it's not there, it will run for days with no problem. The likelyhood of it being the memory is 0 to none!

Russ

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

If that's the deal that works out for you then I say go for it. Still iffy on Fermi reliability-wise but the performance and price are there. Would be infinitely better than playing musical video cards until you find a working 9500GT.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What kills off geforces is heat, primarily. The cooler on the Gigabyte GTS450 is epic considering it's only a 106W card, so it should last longer. Gigabyte's manufacturing standard is also better than nvidia's so that should in theory add to its reliability. While I wouldn't rate it as high long-term as a stock Radeon, it's about as good as you will get with a Geforce.

11. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2011
  12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

bigwill, edit your sig ASAP as you are out of spec according to forum rules.

13. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

Been Nice Guys See Ya'll Russ you know how to get in contact with me...

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The rules apply to everyone except Will it seems... Grow up tbh.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,

That is not the case here, Will isn't being punished, he asked for his account to be closed. This all could have been avoided had the demand been worded as a request, like this, "bigwill, please edit your sig ASAP as you are out of spec according to forum rules, thanks." Simple, to the point, and respectful!

Will is almost twice your age, and has raised a Family, so I don't think you have the right to tell him to Grow up! I know will very well, and he's a fine Christian man, and a good person! I'm proud to call him my Friend!

Respectfully,
    Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

DDP uses the same 'greeting' to everyone else on the site, myself included, and I very rarely see anyone take offense to it. It isn't worded offensively, just abruptly, and as a moderator enforcing the site rules, that's perfectly legitimate.
    I'm well aware of Will's position, but do you really think throwing a fit and leaving the site just because of the phrasiology of that request is a sensible decision?

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    You are not a Black man, living an increasingly racist US! There are millions of people who want to kill every Hispanic and black person in this country! It makes one, just a bit thin skinned, especially in these troubled times! It also bothers me that we've just lost one of our best AMD overclockers! Remember too, that it's not what you say, it's how you say it!

Respectfully,
    Russ

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry, what? Where did racism enter the discussion?

19. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Racism? As Martin Lither King Jr. said, Judge not by color of skin but content of character. Pouting in public, and leaving in such a manner tells all i need to know about content of character.

I do not know for sure, but I get the feeling that DDP is not as white as I am. I do not like the tone sometimes either so it must be a race thing. Goodbye.

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

where the hell does the racism come into this as i'm not racist individual? i don't care what color is your skin is as long as you follow the same rules as i do. i was born with cerebal palsey(51yrs ago) & had my legs operated on twice(age 4yrs & 10yrs old) just so i can somewhat walk properly so i've learned to be somewhat tolerant in most things whether color of skin, disabilities, sexual orintation or what ever. the 1st time i can remember seeing a negro was just after my 2nd operation & learning how to walk for the 3rd time at the ontario crippled children center in toronto selling newspapers outside the cafeteria. this guy(doctor or medical tech) i think was from africa because of the tatoo marks on his face.

Deadrum33, i am white as as i'm part irish, french canadian, english, texan & possibly bit north american indian from my father's mother.

sam, you are out of spec too!