1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I realised that when I was talking in a PM to Russ, am changing it as we speak.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i would put the pc specs under the addict line then the http lines as 1 under the specs line.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wasn't sure if they'd fit. If you think they do, I'll do that. Cheers

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the rules states 3 lines with a picture but doesn't state how long the lines can or cannot be. what you show right now is good.

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Hallo M8ts! I am back in the game again after a busy year of other interest and family social eventws. I had a few questions I wanted to get some input on but I will write this here 1st while I take a moment to catch up on some of your recent post. I think I lost more then 8 months or so. I got lots of reading to do.

Kristopher
    "Overclocking my home, one computer at a time!"

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  6. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

heeyyy. Good to see you back nuck!

jumped on SB yet?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Nuck,

Glad to hear from you again! Got anything new, computer wise to wow us with?

Best Regards,
    Russ

8. crowy

crowy Guest

WTF!!!!!!!

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, a proper old times reunion. Welcome back guys :)

10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

LOL the old crew!

11. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Glad to be back. Oddly, I haven't really got anything new since last Feb when I swap'd the i7 920 for a new i7 930. What a cool mid priced OC'r I left the old GTX-260 for a GTX-460. I dont game as much so I mostly use it for rendoring in video and photo editing. I may upgrade into a GTX-560. Lately I been using the ASUS series and like them ever since my dual 9800-GTX "BlackIce" Editions few years back. I been working on my mobile notebook upgrades lately as well.

No, I have not got into Sandy Bridge yet and not sure if I will just yet untill I see some better features over X58 with 1366. I haven't read enough about it. What are the future plans for 1366 and Sandy Bridge and us overclockers?

I'm still on a nearly 2yo RAMPAGE II EXTREME and it is still doing the job. I meant to change it out for a RAMPAGE III but never got around to it. Now this late in I may just hold out to see where the new 1366 motherboards go from ASUS.

12. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

my god, asus boards that last! Who'da thought it?!

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Shaff,
    I wouldn't have thought it either considering the failure rate is 17% on Newegg, with many multiple RMAs. One guy got 3 in a row, all bad! The Asus forum has many pages of people with problems with the Rampage III. If it was me, and I had a good working Rampage II like Nuck has (it's return rate is 16%), there's not a power in the world that could make me give it up for the Rampage III!

Russ

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is the return rate based off scanning through reviews, or taken from insider newegg data? I'm curious where all the sales/returns figures you're digging up are coming from...

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    I read every 1 egg review on Newegg, and I went to the Asus forum, and there are many pages of bios and other problems with the Rampage III. I also considered the many multiple RMAs as well! I evaluate things a bit differently given the price of that particular motherboard. Generally you will only find extremely experienced people buying something that costs over $350!

Russ

16. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'll be the first to admit that ASUS has made good boards. But my personal experiences with them have indicated poor features and poor quality in the last few years. I will give them credit for their BIOS though. Very detailed. It's worth noting that some of the top overclockers in the world use ASUS exclusively.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

been hearing good things about their efi, horrible problems with cold boots and mobos just not working and bein crashy for p67. Sucha fail. Aparently newest efi has sorted some problems, but for a launch product, its ridiculous.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

sounds like any normal Asus board to me...

A logical assumption, but not true at all. Plenty of numbskulls out there that buy the most expensive hardware, whether they need it or not.

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

There was a time, where I would have bought the most expensive components possible. Thank goodness those times are over :p

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    You're probably right about the numbskulls! LOL!! Still, afer reading all the complaints about the Rampage III on the Asus Forum, I would still keep a flawlessly working Rampage II instead of getting a rampage III to replace it!

Russ