1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They run hot, overclocked and/or with the stock cooler. Remember these are 130W chips that hyperthread.

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Yah, I can't wait to play with a real water configuration. I've seen some nice ones on newegg. Money of course is an issue. Just had to shell out quite a bit for my new rig/car too :(

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I'm more interested in what can be done with my room ventilation. I have no opening window, being in a basement, but we're putting one in this spring. Being able to air the room out better will certainly help my temps. It does get a bit stuffy in here.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Air conditioning my tiny room at home drops the ambient by about 15-16 celsius in the peak of the day, yet has about a 25C impact on my CPU temps. If your room is hot, your PC is hotter.
    Is only a 9000 BTU portable unit, managed to get it for £130, which is a good deal here.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

According to my ambient digital thermometer, I average between 72 - 75F most the time. If I run my secondary rig, it averages closer to 78-79F. It's the 940 phenom. Darn that furnace LOL! When it's low in here I average 28 - 30C idle :D Which of course is meaningless. Load temps are where my main concern is. But I don't run high load applications on this machine. Not yet anyway. One day(probably soon), I'll be running BD rebuilder with this processor. Then we'll see just how far I can take this baby. I plan on getting either bulldozer this year, or just a 6 core phenom. I may wait to do the bulldozer rig til next tax return time. I just don't have the funds this year. And my household is getting very stressed. May be moving out in a few months or less. Finally!

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The normal household temperature back home is around 70F. Without the door being open, just the window, the temperature will eventually reach about 90F in winter, and 100F in the summer. Keeping the room at 70 with the A/C is handy.

7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah I know how that goes Omega. Had to sell half my 8800GTX/E6600 rig to help cover bills a few years ago. Be glad you can hang onto that secondary rig. I had three running for a while, but sold the lowest-end one, with a 7750BE @ 3.2GHz, Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3HP(really nice budget board) and a 9800GTX+ AMP!. It gets hard to keep more than one, let alone 3.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Here I sit with the full fleet of four purring away :)
    Sort of basking in it really, they don't all need to be running, but it's the first time I've had them all up concurrently, well, ever. Phoenix (so named for its black and red colour scheme, and from being born of the leftovers from my server) is going to become the XP machine that plays those games that simply will not be run in win7 outside a virtual machine, and also for some music editing, assuming the E4300 can keep up with the VSTs I use. If not, I can always overclock it, I have a TRUE for it waiting to be fitted. Going to get myself a cheap MIDI sound card and run my PSR-340 keyboard through it with ASIO. Hopefully, minimal latency, don't really want to have to shell out for a high-end ESI or E-MU card.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Estuansis,
    Here's my temps with the CoolIt ECO. Ambient temp 23-24C. CPU 3.8GHz, CPU voltage 1.387. The ambient temp has to get over 27-28C for it to pass 50C under full load. Even then, I've yet to see it higher than 53C. DVDRB/CCE is generally about 43C tops Runs so much better with the different Boot Drive. I'm still debating whether to send the MSI 9500GT back to Newegg, or just live with it..

[​IMG]

I just found out that the XFX HD 4670/1GB GDDR3 I have, has 320 Stream Processors. I never knew that. Too used to seeing the nVidias! No wonder AOE II and III look so good! There's a drastic difference between using it and the 9500GT on Oxi! Between that and upping Oxi to 4GB from 2GB of Ram, there's a right good many things happening on the screen at the same time!

Russ

10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I could definitely run multiple PC's sam. Ultimately, I will one day. Gotta dig myself out of this hole. I'd like to run a Linux pc. I need to broaden my knowledge ;) Perhaps even a Mac. There are certain softwares I'd like to play with that are only available for mac.

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah I would imagine so Russ. The 4670 is a far superior card to the 9500GT. You'll find it to have a huge impact on any game you play. Remember I'm using the same CPU and board as you, at the same speed, but for a gaming machine. Your machine should be very receptive to any video boost you give it.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The number of stream processors does not give a linear indication of processing performance of a graphics card, but the HD4670 is indeed twice as powerful as the 9500GT.

13. Red_Maw

Red_Maw Regular member

I have a real WC loop, not a unit from one of the manufactures you mentioned. I'll admit I was probably wrong about 80C, that is a bit high for water, but less than 40C is just nuts(I'm idling at 34, 29, 35, 26 right now). Your ambient temps must be very low.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam,
    It was a lot of bang for the $54 minus the $10 Rebate I spent for it! I think even with the tax I only spent $47.92 for it. One of my better buys. It's a visual treat to see all that wasn't there in the detail with the 9500GT. If I send the 9500 back, I'll have to pay for shipping and I'll wind up with a $44 credit toward one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130572

I'll still need about $60, and I haven't had any work at all in January! I have an Evga 7300GT I can use for the moment, so I may just go ahead and have a credit with Newegg until I can come up with the extra bucks for the GTS 450. This Evga is the best selling GTS 450, by a wide margin! Better than two to one!

Russ

15. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Hey Russ, that's not a bad price per performance deal. I helped my othr friend building a budget media encoding rig and he went for a GT240 1G but for a lettle more he could'vr got one of these. maybe they'll do a rebate on one soon. ASUS just had their $30 rebate on a lot of nice cards.

I found some notes on my Daily OC of the i7 920 & i7 930. They both would be early batches as I got them at retail the week released. The i7 930 is @ 4.2GHz w/ 1.323 and it's 2nd 4.3G profile is w/ 1.331. I found of my "2", the 930 did 4.3 at same it took the 920 to do 4.2 with simular temps. These were on air test with my typical , yet most reliable to date for 5+ years, the ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme with dual Sythe fans. This cooler alone w/ single fan can outperform few off the shel water set ups. I didnt concider this extreme or crazy vols, not even on my mobo. I kept QPI under 3.5 See sample below of i7 930 (Datch #3951A824) as 200*21 @ DDR1600

Voltages
    Vcore 1.323
    PLL 1.885
    QPI 1.323
    IOH core 1.204
    IOH PCI-E 1.5v 1.521
    ICH core 1.204
    ICH 1.5v 1.515
    DRAM Bus 1.654
    DRAM Ref AUTO

Sure there's more to it but that gives you an idea. 4GHz for the i7 930 was 1.28v and barely 1.310v for the 920 idle temps for these were close of 33c per coreaverage, w/ fans in low~med.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Nuck,
    There's a rebate deal on it right now for $99! $30 MIR!

Russ

17. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

when i had my Q9550 clocked just under 4GHz with near 1.4Vs it never hit about 50 stressed, and sometimes in the night i saw it hit abotu 9c, which was impressive.

18. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Umm not to be the naysayer here Shaff but 9C? Last I checked unless using unconventional methods, a CPU will never get below room temp. In fact, even the best cooled CPU will be a smidge above room temps.

So you're either telling us you used a heavy duty TEC cooler, or your room temp went below 48*F which is downright chilly. Just saying I've seen a lot of people quoting their thermistors without a thought as to whether it was actually right. I'm not saying I don't believe you saw a figure of 9C, I'm just saying it's extremely unlikely that it was actually running at 9C.

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

just quoteing what i saw. though it was on core temp, so coudl actually be 19c, as IICR they were off by 10c for the max temps. and they worked form the max temps backwards.

20. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well 19C is certainly much more realistic. Never really trusted Core Temp though. Been using HWMonitor for a while which reports both my CPU global temps and my temp per-core.

I use my per-core temps for measurement BTW which reports about 5C hotter than the on-board temp.

Russ, which sensor do you use?