1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. Leecope3

Leecope3 Member

just want to add the bus speed looks too low to me and is the mobo holding me back?

2. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

crowys the man you need for this
    but with my limited know how
    does the bios have any options with ldt multi or cpu to nb that could be keeping that down,[bold]but it wont be holding you back.[/bold]
    can you go any higher with the vcore voltage?

[bold]edit[/bold]
    try turning ai nos and qfan off aswell as cool and quite fan
    2nd
    what is the hyper transport frequency multi set at?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=126607

As seen here, I have so far managed to get the system up to 3.8GHZ on air (not bad for a 2.4GHz CPU).
    Can run Super-pi up to 32M without any issues, but the system crashes if I try and run a full PCMark05 test suite.
    Super-Pi to 1M is now @ 13.110 Secs, now more than halved the best I ever got with the FX60 setup.
    [​IMG]
    Time to leave the CPU alone for a while (now back at 3.0GHz) and start cranking up the memory to see what that is capable of.
    Its apprently tested to 1115MHz and expected to get to a speed of 1200, so time to see exactly what it can do.

I'm also ordering the resister to do the Vmch mod as well, as I think thats where I'm bombing out when trying to get to 4.0GHz.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, outstanding though that superpi is, if it ain't stable, it's no overclock imo. I'm very impressed with what you've achieved so far though.

5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

You'll find there are very varied opinions in the overclocking world as to what counts, the lists include system post, operating system loading and then tests, at least the system does post and boot so its well on its way.
    True, the same goes for me with the stability; if I can't pass all the tests then it doesn't count as a properly overclocked system.
    If you don’t accept the test results then there’s no point running them.
    As for super-pi, then the best scores out there are now currently 10.??? Secs, and those scores although validated as the top scores, don't have any other proof that the systems are in any other way stable, so I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with less than 100% perfect systems, that top the rankings on benchmarking.
    Best I've managed at stable for all tests now is 3.68, I don't think it's going any higher until the Vmod is done in the near future, I'll do it at the same time as putting the water-cooling in.
    Although I'm having trouble getting all the bits from one place, and the postage costs are a joke at some of the sites, so doing the homework on the system is taking longer than anticipated.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

3.68Ghz is pretty damn impressive though. how much Vcore have you increased at the moment?

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

At 3.0 I'm running 1.47ish, I can probably knock that down, but I've got a load of work to do, so can't play at the moment, I literally just wound it down a bit this morning when it switched on and started work.
    At 3.68 I had it running at 1.58ish can't remember exact figure.
    At 3.88 I had it up to 1.6V, it will go higher but the temps were starting to creep up.
    I don’t think that CPU voltage was the issue though, so its down to the NB voltage.
    The NB has been set at 1.65v which is the max the board will do without the Vmod, and that was still only giving 36`C mobo temp, so there’s plenty of room for upping it.
    Apparently newer boards now ship that are able to do 1.85v on the NB straight out the box.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1.85V? sounds suspiciously like a candidate for not lasting very long...

9. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

And a candidate for a high overclock! Nice overclock anyway bigdk!

<<EDIT>>

Makes my personal overclock sound like crap eh!

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thats a nice oc
    we need a benchmark/scores thread
    "marsey thinks he'll start one"

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Better check there isn't already one. I don't think there is...

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I'm not too concerned about life cycles of the hardware, as I don't intend to keep any of the major stressed parts too long anyway.
    There hardly too much point buying an overclocking system with the intention of pushing it, if you're going to worry about the failure rates being increased.
    That's just part of the deal; increased risk opens up increased performance.
    Taking a system up by 10% or so is hardly worth considering as an overclock at all, as most of the systems out now, have tools built in to do it all for you.
    I totally understand that most people find it too risky and daunting to attempt to manually overclock their systems to any great degree, but then that makes it all the better when it is working.

13. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

It'll be good to get this thread pointing in that direction as well.
    Maybe see how we can all push our systems to the max.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, I think I'm due a reformat before that though, it's only been three months, but relying on enditall to actually boot is no state to be in if overclocking.

15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

couldnt find one but i give up after 35 pages.
    "how bigs your e-dk"
    a joke in there for you as we know whos gonna win this, dont you think?

[bold]edit[/bold]
    its been closed

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

BigDK,

Here's one using a Gigabyte MB with a 6600.

[​IMG]

Happy Computering,
    theone

17. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@theone

wow, that screenshot looks incredibly familiar to MINE i posted @the Hounds, please give credit where credit is due next time yah?

also, NO, it's not using a Gigabyte mobo, it's the Asus P5W-DH Deluxe, the same one BigDK is currently using...

docTY

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

kivory,

I am so sorry! I thought that was someone elses. I didn't post a name because I didn't know if the party wanted that done as it was from a different forum. I didn't realize I had grabbed the wrong screen shot. A million appologies!

Sincerely,
    theone

19. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@theone

hehe, apology accepted :) i know it's difficult at times to differentiate between members of various forums, but i've been here @AD for a long time, hence why i chose to use the same username over @the Hounds~

everyone that knows me from here, know me as "docTY" over there as well, it's even under my username @Hounds...same person, different website :)

the only reason i noticed is because i was having probs. w/ the extended white space under my screen captures, LOL, so, that was key in determining it was in fact MY OWN benchmarks :) i noticed your copy and paste has that "white space issue" as well hahahahaha...

docTY

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

kivory,

Thanks for letting me off the hook! LOL I keep meaning to ask you, Are you a Doctor? I see the docTY and I've always wondered.

Happy Computering,
    theone