1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@theone

yes, as a matter of fact i am...got my M.D. in neurosurgery~ :)

ok, before I take this thread further off topic, i'll stop here before i get in trouble hehe...

i check in this thread from time to time to see what others are using and what success they've achieved on their own systems, as with any overclocks, each person's max limit will vary, even if using similar/identical components :)

sharing is caring :) even if knowledge is what one is sharing, it might help others in pinpointing where their limits are or at least give them a ballpark figure as to what they CAN possibly achieve.

good luck w/ the overclocking to all~

docTY

2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Good to see someone else with a similar setup.
    As said before, I can boot to 3.87, and run superpi, got 13.110 sec for 1M.
    System fails to complete PCMark05 tests without shutting down.
    I've a long way to go with getting the setup correct, as I managed to get it up to that without too much effort.
    I'm about to start testing the memory next and then see where that limit is, before pushing for a higher overclock.
    I'm almost sure I can get it totally stable at 3.87 without the mod, but will have to jiggle the memory about a bit.
    I'm serioulsy impressed by the CPU and board so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  3. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

nicely done BigDK, i see we share very similar interests in regards to components chosen for our latest builds~ :)

i too have still got a long ways to go before i reach a higher stable speed, i'm currently using "older"/USED water cooling components from a friend's old system, it's nothing high-end or even remotely impressive, very standard basic stuff; i'll be looking to purchase a high-end kit in the upcoming months, more than likely around x-mas time when i can have a viable excuse to get one that the wife won't kill me over for! LOL

best of luck with your overclocking BigDK, there are plenty of tweaks i still need to iron out before i stop with this project, now only if i had the time...can't win em' all i guess~

docTY

4. crowy

crowy Guest

BigDK,
    That's where random crashes/strange behaviour starts occuring!!.Increased voltage is good to a point,then all of a sudden an extra .1-.2 volts can cause the temps to go through the roof.Your cpu @ stock is rated @65watts.Assuming 1.3 stock vcore,bumping it up to 1.6v changes that to 156 watts! I'm not sure of the thermal efficiency of the stock hsf,but if you use the thermal efficiency rating of the tuniq tower 120(one of the most efficient air coolers available)assuming an idle temp of 35 degrees celsius and a thermal efficiency rating of 0.18c/w your cpu @ 3.8ghz 1.6v equates to just over 63 degrees celsius!I'm sure the c/w of your stock hsf is no where near the efficiency of the tuniq 120 so your going to be a bit warmer than that.Heat is going to be your main obstacle to reaching 4ghz if you need to increase cpu vcore.Do you know the thermal rating of your stock hsf?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

156 watts from 65? Wow, how do you calculate the excess heat by turning up the voltage then? (I may need to know this for my course some time!)

6. crowy

crowy Guest

sammorris,
    This is what I did.
    Went to the psu calculator here:
    http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
    and got these results.
    [​IMG]
    I also calculated it manually using this formula:
    Stock Wattage x o/c volts x stock volts ie:
    65 x 1.6 x 1.3= 135.2 watts.So about 20 watts difference.
    This is a general rule of thumb method for an approximate calculation.
    I went with the psu calculator as I thought that it is probably more accurate.Now to work out the o/c temp use this formula:
    Use 35 degrees c. as a idle temp.
    So multiply your o/c wattage(in this case 156)by the thermal efficiency of your hsf(in this case I used the tuniq tower 120 as the best possible air cooling scenario)with a thermal efficiency rating of ~.18 c/w then add that to the cpu idle temp(in this case 35 degress c.) So 156 x .18 + 35 degrees c.=63.08 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2006
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah but then stock voltage would be 30% more watts than normal before being overclocked.... if you only did the voltage up by 0.1V or 0.15V I wouldn't say that's valid.

8. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    How did you work that out?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

so stock wattage being 65W and stock voltage being 1.3V, if there was no overclocking, it'd be 65x1.3x1.3, so no I was wrong it'd be 69% more. 65x1.3x1.3 is 109.85W, so far more than the stock 65!

10. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,I think you missed the point!
    What we're doing is finding the estimated wattage when the cpu is overclocked in an overvoltage scenario.Not multiplying stock volts with stock volts.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not following the point, but I don't think that formula is accurate. You calculated you're 140W or so figure using that, so if it applies to any overclock, it'd apply to a 5% one. In which case you're looking at over 110W for a mere 5%. I could understand stock wattage times (new voltage / old voltage) but then that would imply the curve is just linear, which I'm certain it isn't. I can believe the TDP will be that high, but I don't agree with how you got the figure.

12. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    If we do a 5% o/c with the psu calculator we get this figure
    [​IMG]
    So you can see,more voltage although .2 or .3v doesn't sound like much, it = a lot more watts.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah but you don't need 1.6V to do a 5% overclock...

14. crowy

crowy Guest

Sorry double post!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2006
  15. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    That's right,but it may be neccessary for a 59% overclock.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah of course! However, I don't get where the multiplier formula comes from!

17. emachine

emachine Guest

Real newb, at this type of stuff, but I have an emachine pc, would it burn up alot faster if I overclocked?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depends. Machines don't "burn up" as you put it, unless you play with the voltages and even then, for the lifetime of a system to be short, you'd need to increase the voltage a lot. 0.1-0.15V isn't too bad. 0.3V and then you're looking at maybe 1-2 years versus 20.

19. Leecope3

Leecope3 Member

hi me again now i have my 3700+ SD @ 2.53 gig with 1.4v vcore
    ive ran stress prime 2004 for 12 hours with no errors or warnings
    Ive figured out how to lock the pci to 33.33mhz and locked the pci-e to 100mhz is that right?
    my load temps are 44-46 oC anything else u guys think i could do now?
    if i up the vcore anymore it seams to get a bit hot underload 50-54oC
    my ram is at 1:1 ratio i think with 2T (kingston hyperX BH5 @ 2.8V)
    my gfx card is at stock 350/1000 6800GT is it worth doing much to that?
    i am unsure of my cpu model (cabne etc)

[​IMG]

20. Leecope3

Leecope3 Member

To the guy with the emachine i support these at work everyday and they have a habit of burning up by themselves never mind with the overclocking can i ask if yours is a X20 model 220 620 820 etc? and does it come with a bestec psu supplied??? could someone also tell me how to quote lol