1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

@leecope3

I have the same board as you! Dont you find it reaLLY SUCKS as for overclocking options?

2. crowy

crowy Guest

Lecsiy and Leecope3,I posted this a while back,Have a look at this:
    ASUS A8N-SLI Bios Mod
    Published on September 11th, 2006

Are you stuck with an old ASUS A8N-SLI (Non-Deluxe and Deluxe) motherboard? If you are, then we have some good news for you. As you probably know, ASUS has stopped releasing BIOS updates for these motherboards. The last BIOS update was at the end of 2005. We’ve discovered that it’s possible to flash the Premium BIOS on the normal A8N-SLI motherboard, or even the deluxe version.

What will you gain from flashing the premium BIOS on the normal A8N-SLI?

* Updated BIOS with many fixes and updates
    * Better support for memory modules
    * Better overclocking ability
    * Support for GeForce 7950GX2
    * Ability to change chipset voltage
    * Ability to change HT voltage

Go Here:
    http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=articles&go=read&arc_id=111

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2006
  3. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    That's a tidy,well priced water cooling setup you found there.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

BigDK,
    Would that be (dare I say it) a heater, or are you meaning it looks like a car radio?

Crowy,
    I was just wondering about it for the Prescott, which runs hot even stock. There's no AC where the Prescott is used so I figured that I would ask and see what people thought. Thanks for the reply. BTW! How bout that finish on the cooling blocks contact surface? Magnificent!!!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

It was tuned into 5 Live last time I looked!

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

bigd have considered getting a beer chiller instead of a rad for the water cooling?

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I'm a red wine man myself it serves at room temperature!
    I have seen someone convert a mini fridge into a rad cooler though, although the idea of bringing the water temp down lower than ambient isn't a clever idea unless you want to start insulating against condensation.

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

bourbon sipper myself.
    i have just read about a guy who has used one he got off an auction site for £30, its big at about the size of a shoe box, but with the thermostat removed and with some anti freeze it the water it runs at -17c water temp. that would give you some serious cooling for ocing.

he has problems with condensation aswel. could't you use a larger pipe around them to stop it?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  9. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Its air in contact with the surfaces that causes the problems, any drop in temp from ambient will cause water formation in air.

10. crowy

crowy Guest

That's why the vapochill uses heatpads to counteract the condensation problem.

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i think iv been miss understood, could you use the normal 18mm tubing inside another larger tube possibly with some theremal insulation inbetween?

mind you the connectors would still have condensation on them wouldnt they. the homer in my head runs away with me sometimes

[bold]marseys dumb ass idea of the day[/bold]

right new idea. take the side pane off and lay the case on its side so the mobo is at the top, drill a hole in the desk under it then put bucket under that to catch the drips. unpractical but efffective.

we need a boffin to invent an anti-condensing coating. i wonder how nasa did it in the space shuttle?

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Marsey99,
    When Apollo 13 had it's adventure, NASA had them shut everything off to conserve power. During re-entry there was enough moisture, that it was dripping everywhere. They kind of over dramatized it in the movie but ice had built up on everything and didn't melt until re-entry.

You want to see condensation, you should see the plumbimg on the Cray at the Dept of Defense. It builds up ice over 1" thick on the pipes, and that's outside the insulation. Cold stuff, Liquid Nitrogen!

Happy Computering,
    theone

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

marsey sits puzzled (nothing new realy lol)

after ocing my cpu with some success (thanks crowy) it managed to take 25% off my superpi time, i thought i would have a go at the gpu, so with it being from the green corner i did the coolbit regedit thing as it is already installed so why not use it, i looked at some forums to see the kind of ocs others had achieved with this card(7600gt-asus) and most people were getting, without ant vmods, 775 for the ram and 610 for the gpu with other brands and not much above ref with asus cards. so i took off all the asus drivers and utilities did the regedit reset and used the coolbits to find the optimal frequencies. it came up with 800 for the ram and 610 core, nice one i thought im happy with that. i ran 3dmark06 to see how much it had increased and it has dropped my score by 223 points.

now im sat here scratching my head as to why. has anyone got any ideas?

thanks phil

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,

Did you re-boot? Sometimes you have to re-boot in order for the changes to completely take effect. Mine is like that. It will show you the change but won't run anything faster until the first re-boot.

I'm not too keen on OCing vid cards as they can get very very hot and still work but warm things up inside the case considerably! Good Luck!

Happy Computering,
    theone

15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

erm??? bows head with red face
    will try it again

[bold]edit[/bold]
    nope seems to have made it worse. down from 1461 and 1287(with asus drivers and utils)for sm 2 and sm 3 respectivley to 1092 and 1003(with latest forceware and higher clock speeds).

does this make sense to any one as im baffled

games(fear combat and quake4) appear to be running faster, my temps are about the same but 3dmarks have dropped i dont uderstand.

does anyone think changing the pcie bus will have any effect?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  16. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

@crowy

Thanks so much for that post about the upgradability of the SLI SE motherboard! Im having a few problems though! Basically my floppy drive dont work its completly bust because the the conector slot on the motherboard is bust! Sucks! Soo is there anyway i can make a bootable CD? If soo how do i do that!

Lecsiy

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

3dmark06 seems to be wrong. its scores have dropped after ocing my gcard but my fps are up.

these are averages during arena battle #5 in oblivion @ 1200 / 1000 with aax2 bloom on and all the rest on max
    i used fraps to find them out

core clock mem clock fps
    560 700 27
    600 750 34 latest forceware and coolbits
    610 800 37

560 700 24
    600 750 31 asus driver and smart doctor

i also tried quake4 but it never went bellow 60fps @ 1000 / 700

i think the reason for the differences at the same speeds is down to the forceware being a newwer version than the one that came with the card. but what i cant understand is why its dropped my 3dmark scores.

if i take the core any higher than 610 i get freezes if the mem goes any higher i get little green lines at ramdom points. [bold]could a change to the pcie bus help me go any higher?[/bold]

@ lecsiy try this page about the boot image

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/45/83263

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  18. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Wooo ive got a premium board now! Cheers dudes!

Lecsiy

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, another SLi-SE user, me, I don't expect I'll be wanting to up the voltage of value memory to 2.9V or higher, but who knows what I may eventually want to do with my humble £58 board...

20. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Yee deffo worth the 20 mins it took me! ALthough getting it to boot witha cd was a lot of unneeded hassle! Ive mine upto 2.95! That seems stable anything above and things goo weird! Ive also gained 6 seconds on superpi!

Lecsiy