1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Crowy & Sammorris,

You are not going to believe this but I got an e-mail from Asus, followed by a phone call. They are going to send me a new P5P800-SE MB! The latest revision yet! I was very surprised to find that this MB is still being made and has been upgraded to support the Pentium D Dual Cores. It will be discontinued in the not too distant future! My concern was whether the new one would run as sweet as this one and I have been assured that it would. Part of this motherboards problems with the D 800 & 900 series is the MB was designed with the Prescott in mind! The Prescott is 90 Watts while the D-900s are 130 Watt CPUs. The latest revision has heftier VRMs and heavier Capacitors, and I can tell you from living with mine for a while now, the voltages are rock steady. Before they repaired my MB the voltages would drop below the standard as soon as you placed a heavy load on it. Doing a burn-in, Encoding, Prime 95, you name it. Now they never drop below the standard no matter what you do with it. It also overclocks much easier. I run at 3.81GHz easily with a very small adjustment (1 click) in the CPU voltage and the same 1 click for the memory voltage. It will run at 3.96GHz but I prefer to leave a little room for error so it stays at 3.81.

The real kicker with Asus is that all I have to do is pull my present MB and pack it up, take it to UPS to ship. I have to get the tracking number and e-mail it to Asus. As soon as they confirm shipment, they will send me the new one, second day air! I'm going to pull it Sunday night and ship it Monday. I should have the new one by about Wednesday and be back in business again. Fancy that!

I'm going to hedge my bets a little and order an Asus A8N-E MB. This is esentially the same MB as the A8N-SLI, only with 1 PCIe 16x slot. It has more than enough bells and whistles in the set-up to be a good overclocker. I have no need for SLI so I can save a little more towards a x2 4400 or a 4800+ (prefered) and a PCIe 16x Vidio card. With the X850-XT going for $120, it should rock! I can use my XMS cas2 memory so when I'm ready to learn the ins and outs of AMDs, I'll have the most important parts already.

I plan on getting a 160GB S-ATA hard drive and the MB within the next 4 weeks. Then I'll just put the mB aside until I can afford the CPU. I'll put the 160 in the D-940 for now and put the 120GB ATA-133 back in the D and probably sell it when I'm done building the new one!

Happy Computering,
    theone

2. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    you may be able to flash to the premium bios???

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All,

Does anyone know of any software that will tell how many Pixel Pipelines a vid card has. I have ATi Tool and it reports 16 active pipelines for my X800GTO 8x AGP card. Now all of a sudden since I posted that info complete with screenshot showing 16 active pipelines, up pops a rumor that ATi tool is reporting 16 when there are supposedly less. I personally think it's some disgruntled guy that got one with 12 pipes as advertised and was expecting 16 that started the rumor. Most of the ones that got 12 pipes, found that they were permanently crippled!

I've tried ATi Tool on a few other ATi cards and it reports them all correctly, so why should it report any different with mine?

Happy Computering,
    theone

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol can't help there, I know my card has 16!

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    Yes, but how do you really know it has them? Does ATi Tool tell you that. I'm sure it does, so now it's being questioned whether the info is correct. I mean as far as I'm concerned I took a screenshot from ATi Tool and it shows 16 active pipes. Until proven wrong I will continue to have 16 pipes listed in my sig!

I've hunted all over the internet and can't find any program that tells you that information except ATi Tool, and I had to hunt to find that information! Rumors! Ugh!!! Must be the silly season! LOL!

Happy Computering,
    Russ

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Did you get proven wrong then? I don't see anything about 16 pipelines in your sig...
    I know my X1900XT has 16 pipelines because they always had them...

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sam.
    Nah! I just never put it in this sig! I fixed it!

Happy Computering,
    theone

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol if I recall right it was in your hounds sig but not here.

9. crowy

crowy Guest

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,

No need to modify the card! It has 16 active pipes. Somebody started a rumor that ATi Tool was reading these incorrectly.

BTW! The BIOS that comes with the A8N-E MB is on the list for the Premium but I don't think I'll need it because it already comes with all the bells and whistles with BIOS 1013!

Doing this the hard way with a "Flintstones" computer, circa:1997. It's a P-200 that's been in a closet for the last 5 years. Incredibly, it's running XP. Must have been a big bucks man as it has 96 (16x6) MB of 80 pin 70ns ram. That was some serious money back in 97. It'll be this way for a couple of days while I wait for my MB to be sent from Asus!

Happy Computering,
    theone

11. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    I just wondered what the entries listed with your card when you run ATI tool were?

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Crowy,
    I'll check it out when I get everything back together later in the week and let you know. It was probibly some dopey hole that got a 12 pipe that had been crippled that started the rumor in the first place because he was pissed at not being one of the lucky ones that got 16. I've tried ATi tool on several other vid cards and it's read right every time, at least it agreed with the specs for the given card!

Happy Computering,
    theone

13. crowy

crowy Guest

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Crowy,
    Yeah, but they didn't have to put up with Micro$oft's insesant BS updates! I had 58 of them just yesterday alone! You have any idea how long that takes on a P-200?

I quit AIM mail for much the same reason. They are far too worried about thier paid sponsors getting thier air time and not enough about your e-mail account! Seems we will have to wait a couple of months to get our old Netscape e-mails and maybe not even then! It's frustrating as hell to go to thier news videos and sit through thier BS adds for 15 to 60 seconds that you can't cancel and then get a message, "No Data"! Linux is sounding better and better every day, even if it means having to learn a new OS at my age!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

iv got my 7600gt running at, 625mhz core and 825mhz mem.

just some ocing talk to keep us on topic.

i bet that nasa machine runs linux and if its doing that many calcs per sec i recon.....2s for 1m superpi

[bold]edit[/bold]

@crowy
    its still runnin @241x10 and iv not had a problem yet thanks to you. i have been thinking about it(yep it did hurt) and my hyper thread thingie should be 1600 do you think that is what might be stopping me going higher as it is 1924(962x2is that right?) and if so how do i drop that is that cpu to nb?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,
    I just discovered why my video card needs to run the native resolution of the Sceptre! I'm using it on an old computer with an S3 Virge GX vid card that won't do 1680x1050. Everything stretches on the screen with it. That doesn't happen on the Sceptre like it does on this one if you open a picture with windows and fax viewer! I guess XP adjusts it to look right because the OS recognizes it as plug and play! I just run everything in a narrower window for now. MB is on it's way, 2nd day air!

Happy Computering,
    theone

17. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,
    If your @241mhz and your cpu-nb link speed is @800mhz then yes,your HTT is way o/clocked and totally unneccessary.Change your cpu-nb link speed to 600mhz,that will put you @1446mhz(Thats acceptible),in fact anywhere between 1200~1800 is ok.Then try raising your cpu frequency again.If you can get your cpu to 266mhz(that would be nice,but without cpu overvoltage may not be possible)your HTT would be @1596mhz.Remember 200mhz is 1x multi,400 is 2x multi,600 is 3x multi,800 is 4x multi,1000 is 5x multi.
    So with your cpu-nb link speed @600mhz thats 3x.So 3x266mhz=798mhz x 2=1596mhz(thats nearly perfect).Dont forget to keep an eye on your memory as well,remember raising your cpu frequency and hence your HTT, the memory frequency is going to be overclocking right along with you.
    If your memory clock option in the bios is @ 166mhz and your currently
    @ 241mhz,your memory is currently just over 401mhz.If you get your cpu up to 266mhz your memory will be just over 443mhz(or DDR443).That's probably ok depending on your memory,but if not you may have to drop it back to 133 which will put it @ 354mhz.

18. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thanks for getting back so quick. i though it was right but wanted to make sure.

[bold]edit[/bold]

its got me a whopping 5mhz which seems to be stable but not run any real test on it.my superpi time has come down to a new pb of 38.344. i cant remmember wether or not we tried this last time as it was daft o'clock on that night aswel

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=131143

i dropped the ram and tried to logon to windows but it started to bsod.

i think i need to wire mod it to go any higher.

thanks crowy your a star

take it easy, phil

[bold]edit 2[/bold]

im not sure now wether it needs more volts or if we have maxxed the cpu.
    i have had some time this afternoon so i had a play. 242x10 was stable even when i dropped the v to 1.35 the ram stays ok(with relaxed timings and more power) upto ddr442, but no matter how i set it it wont go past 246x10.
    now im not sure which is the best way to leave it. high cpu clock speed with the ram,with tight timings, at near stock speeds, or lowwer cpu but higher ram but with relaxed timings. i need more free time to test the settings.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  19. crowy

crowy Guest

marsey99,
    Sounds like more volts are needed to get the cpu any higher.
    Try to reach a happy medium with HTT speed/memory speed,timings/cpu mhz.

20. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

right where to begin?

246x10 cpu, ddr405ish ram with tight timings and htt at x3. this gives me the best benchmark scores highest ffps, and temps.

220x10 cpu, ddr440 ram with 2t timings and x4 htt, gives the whole rig a more responsive feel but it takes longer to boot up, knocks 3/4 fps off my games and couple of c off the temp.

i think i will use a mix of these 2 settings in a horses for courses kind of thing. heavy cpu usage and i will go with the top one and the rest of the time i will use the bottom.

[bold]edit[/bold]

been playing and i posted at this by accident(typoed a 5 insread of a 4),

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=131489

but it has confussed the hell out of me as to why it will now but would'nt before.

i am going to continue upping it again and see what it does, this is with 1.40v but last night it stopped at 247x10 with 1.45v

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006