1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. crowy

crowy Guest

With your cpu @ this temp..............Just imagine the possibilities???

2. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

how long before someone turns a fridge into a case?

would you buy one?

should i be writing to the patent office?

or is this another one of my daft ideas?

[bold]edit[/bold]
    @crowey,

had a look at that one and its more confusing than rivatuner, ive gone back to just using coolbits, so that i have less stuff running at once, but i have read that ati tool will work with my card and that it is easier to get the max oc out of your card with that as you can see the artifacts in some box with that. dont know yet as its some thing i will be trying tonight.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    Too late! They already have cases with refrigeration built in and of course, the VapoChill!

Happy Computering,
    theone

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i thought they only cooled your cpu and gpu? along the same lines as water cooling does. i mean like the whole of the case is cooled like a fridge.

[bold]edit[/bold]

had a play with ati tools and coolbits, 371fps with the furry cube @ 625 core, 840mem but it gave me artifacts ingame so i dropped the mem to 835 and its sound but that dropped the furry cube to 365fps.

the core wont pass the test in coolbits any higher, and my temps are upto 62c after 45mins gameplay. i might voltmod it after i get a new cooler for it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    That's the way I understand it. I got that information a couple of months ago from someone I respect in another forum. I've never seen one but I'll bet it's expensive to run! Should really eat up the Amps! LOL!!!

Happy Computering,
    theone

6. crowy

crowy Guest

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    I know that! I was just meaning "in addition"! I see all kinds of refrences to A/C cases but all of them seem to be custom. I was under the impression that it was something commercially available.

By the way, the one Vapochill I have seen had a consideribly thicker plate for the CPU than 1 mm! More like about 3/8". The way I understand it is the refrigerant flows through it, otherwise it couldn't take away the heat!

Got my new MB today! Idles at 31C! Fully stressed it hits 57C, and that's at 3.81! Ser. # is about 70,000 newer than my old one! The only mistake I made was not taking out the on-board sound software before I put a Sound Blaster Live card in it. I turned it off in the BIOS but the software interfered with the SBL card! Finally had to bring it up in Safe Mode to remove the software. Sounds great, what with 425 Watts pushing it from the Sony. I'm used to having a high end Stereo as I used to have "Quad" and then Dolby Surround using 4 Klipsh Horns, 1 in each corner of my music room when I lived back east. In my opinion the K-Horns are the best speaker in the world. All you need is a good clean signal going to them! You don't even need a lot of Watts as they are so efficient!

Happy Computering,
    theone

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Marsey, which GPU do you have? I pull about 600 with the furry cube.

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

7600gt, that seems about right, with your x1900 having x2 the pps and x2 the mem bandwidth

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  10. BigCharb

BigCharb Guest

SUP, i have a list of parts for my new setup, i plan to overclock my new cpu to 4GHz: Gigabyte GA-1975X mobo, Intel Core Duo E6600, Segate Barracuda 160Gb, Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 ram, Thermaltate Armor Jr case, Mushkin HP-550 PSU. i've got an X1800XTX, all i need is a cooler and i'm done. I'm planning to go for it in early November. i was wouldering if i have the right stuff to reach my goal, thanx. :)

11. crowy

crowy Guest

Looks like the P5B Asus board is the board to get at the moment if you have a core2 Duo chip.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2822

12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

depends how lucky you are with the cpu.

you might need some water cooling to stay stable at 4g, but some good air could get you close.

13. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    Iv'e heard some wharfdale speakers being powered by 2x10 watt(yes,10 watt)valve amps.Sounded more like 60 watts,totally awesome.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

crowy,
    I've broken wine glasses with a good low distortion 10 watt amplifier (Heathkit Audiophile Series) and a K-Horn! Awsome speakers. If you saw the source of all that good sound you would laugh yourself silly! Most Bass Reflex design speakers sound great with only the design of the sound path and the materials it's made of determining how good it sounds. K-Horns are made of wood, glue and about 30 Lbs. of brass screws. They are also extremely heavy!

Happy Computering,
    theone

15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

chuckles to himself

yea but can you overclock them?

:)

[bold]edit[/bold]

thinking about over clocked conroes, has anyone seen bigd about? i wonder how much higher hes got it. any one any guesses?

i think hes hit 4ghz, or will have before he back.

i also wonder if he knows about the new bios?

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    Sure, but that would cause "doubling", which is a bad thing!

BigDK won't hit 4.0 without water cooling or a VapoChill! At least not for long!

Happy Computering,
    theone

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

18. crowy

crowy Guest

theone,
    I have to agree there.
    To be stable @4ghz,phase change is an absolute neccessity.
    Water just won't do it.
    As I said some posts ago,heat is going to be his main enemy.
    Sub zero temps are the only solution.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, I'd like to see a 4Ghz conroe (well I wouldn't because that'd be way too much more powerful than my system LOL) but it's going to be difficult.

20. crowy

crowy Guest

sam,
    I'm sure BigDk will still come back with an impressive overclock.
    BTW,Iv'e got a new project happening.
    Removed the IHS today(very nerve wracking but went off without a hitch).
    Iv'e got a custom waterblock in mind to cool just the core.Trying to get some copper bar so will let you know how I go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]