1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. onya

onya Guest

[​IMG][/URL][/img]

Hi theone, here goes with posting my first image of the processor arithmetic. If it works ok and doesn't muck things up for anyone, i'll post the other two images.

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

onya,
    See the IMG in the middle! Change it to small letters. You have 2 images on the same line which may spread out the screen depending on how large the screenshots are. I put each images on a seperate line, just to be sure. If they are Sandra screens, they should be no problem.

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  3. onya

onya Guest

[​IMG]
    theone, here goes. It looks ok in preview. So far so good, and that editing tip you gave me (IMG to img), all i have to do is look.. LOL.
    Cheers

4. onya

onya Guest

[​IMG]
    theone, here goes. It looks ok in preview. So far so good, and that editing tip you gave me (IMG to img), all i have to do is look.. LOL.
    Cheers

5. onya

onya Guest

theone, i finally worked it out to get a decent sized image. Non of these benches will set the world on fire, but it may help in deciding if it really is worth over clocking this system even if its just for good practice before the m/b and cpu are replaced with better components.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for all the info etc,
    Cheers for now.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

onya,
    Do a Google search for Sisoft Software Sandra 2007 and replace yours. We use 2007 for everyone so we know what we are comparing. This must be 2006. It just keeps everyone on the same page as the numbers are different and 2007 is the latest.

Also, use the scroll bars before you take the pic so we can see what the processor is and what speed it's running at. Same thing with the memory bandwith. Scroll down until you see the individual slots in the right colum and then snap the pic. It makes it easier for us to make suggestions if we can see memory type and timings.

Happy Computering,
    theone

7. andrew31

andrew31 Regular member

hi i want to overclock my cpu

k8n neo2 platinum
    amd athlon 64 3200+

when i try to change things in the bios it doen nothing chip speed stays at 2010mhz

is this locked? how do i unlock it?

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

what have you changed in your bios?

from and to please :)

9. andrew31

andrew31 Regular member

nothing yet ,but i did try changeing the fsb but it didnt do anything,the board has its own overclock setting but they dont work ether.

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

make sure qnc is turned off, along with any spectrum spread options. then lock it to async, so you can up the cpu clock speed and leave the pci bus at normal. then try upping the bus speed.

you will want to keep an eye on your temps. something like speedfan will do that, and cpuz will let you see all your clock speeds and ram timings whilst in windows. everest will do both if you can get a full version.

11. andrew31

andrew31 Regular member

thanks.
    it also says in the main board book to put the ram modules in dimms 1,2 or 3,4 but when i do pc just beeps memory error .but they work in 1 and 3.have noticed the ram i have is 1 512mb single side,the other is 512mb double sided both ddr400.does this matter?
    i have ordered any 2 512mb both matched ,just in case.

12. andrew31

andrew31 Regular member

right the fsb can be set from 200 to 300,i set it to 210 system boot to give a warning to reset overclock settings,so i set it to 205 system boots fine cpuz shows cpu speed at 2050mhz .
    cpu ratio can change from startup,x4 - x20 ,its set to startup as if i change it system wont boot

13. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

you wont be able to run un-matched sticks in dual mode, so for now dont worry about that. this might also be th reason your oc if falling over so quickly.

your cpu multi is locked (200 x 10 i think) at a max, you can drop it down but not take it above this.

disclaimer

overclocking can harm your hardware and will void your warrenty, you do this at your own risk.

once you have done what i said in the post above try dropping your ram to 166 and your ht link/cpu to nb to x4/800mhz and see if you can get any higher. raise it in 2 or 3 mhz steps each time, once it stops posting again try it with a little bit more voltage (this is when you need to keep your eye on your temps, its also good to know what they are at stock speeds) and keep going. once you get to 240 x 10 you want to drop your ram again to 133 and your ht link down again.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Marsey99,
    Just for your own knowlege, that's not always true. I ran my P4 and my D-940 with 1GB of Corsair XMS cas2 PC3200 with 1GB of PNY Optima cas2.5 and had no problems at all. Dual Channel worked fine. It would even run at cas2 but I eased the settings to 2.5 3 3 5 to improve the memory bandwidth. It even works fine if you use one of each. I guess it just depends on the memory chips used on the sticks and whether they are compatible with one another. I wouldn't recomend doing it unless you already have the memory to begin with as you could be wasting your money. The type of motherboard means a lot too as some are more friendly than others, memory wise!

The 3.0GHz/800 P4 ran at 3.94GHz and the 3.2 GHz D-940 ran at 3.81GHz, both on air. I backed down the D-940 to 3.71GHz as I run it all the time folding! I've since bought another 1GB of XMS for the D-940 and moved the PNY into the A64 4000+. It's paired with a 2 sticks of Corsair Value Select (512x2)and runs fine in it as well at 1T! Again I wouldn't go buying it with that intent but like I said, I had it so it was worth a try. The 4000+ is running at 2.76GHz and works great on a BioStar TForce 939 MB! Very nice set-up in the TForce, by the way! Highly recomended if one needs a socket 939 MB!

Happy Computering,
    theone

15. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

russ i dont doubt that you have, but im sure that the 2 sticks in question were both alike i construction ie, dual sided(16 x 64mb chips) 1gb modules. andrew seems to have one thats 16 x 32mb and one thats 8 x 64mbs and that is the reason that they wont work in dual channel. sorry, maybe i should of explained myself a little better on that, or worded it differently.

16. andrew31

andrew31 Regular member

yer that right waiting for more memory coming.
    the highest i can get the cpu is 2090 10x209 if i goto 210 boot to safemode tell me to reset overclocking

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

looking at the specs on your mobo it should oc higher than that. i think i might be missing somthing, i will investigate after when i have the time to have a look what options you have in your bios. sorry things to do right now.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Marsey99,
    That's the strange part. While the XMS and Optima are both dual-sided, the Corsair Value Select is single sided, yet they co-exist in the 4000+ running dual-channel at 1T and it's OC'd 15% to boot with the memory running at 215x2, 430MHz!

As far as andrew31's problem goes, I'm a bit baffled. I've read of a number of tests where the 3200+ runs fine at 2.45GHz, with no heat issues whatsoever. Check out this test and see what I mean. It's a bit old, but meaningful!

http://www.penstarsys.com/reviews/cpu/amd/a64_3200_90/index.html

The A64 4000+ I just put together for my roomie runs stock at 2.4GHz. As the article on the 3200+ says, "it was very easy" to get it to 2760GHz on the BioStar TForce 6100 939, as long as you don't use the on-board graphics as the video will flip out and crash. I didn't have to do anything fancy in the set-up either. I just raised the CPU speed to get it to 2760 and left everything else on auto. It couldn't have been easier. Under full load, it hits a max of 43C and idles at about 28C with an Arctic Freezer 64 cooler.

While I've had a couple of minor issues with the TFource MB, there's nothing really bad about it. I'm hoping these minor issues will be resolved with a MB swap which is scheduled for thursday. The issues are that it won't shut the PS down and gives an "It's safe to shut down your computer" message and it will not boot if a USB jumpdrive is plugged in. These are minor given the overclocking options this MB has. It offers 2 ways to OC. Actually 3 if you use the software method, which sucks! You can set everything manually in the bios, with all the bells and whistles or use the A.O.S. This has 3 settings called V6 Tech engine, V8 Tech engine and V12 Tech engine. These don't have fixed values but offer performance that constantly adjusts the OC between the percentages shown according to the demand. the V6 is 10 to 15%, the V8 is 15 to 25% and the v12 which raises the performance to about 25 to 30%. Like I said, all I had to do to get the 4000+ from 2.4 to 2.76GHz was use the manual and raise the processor speed and leave everything else on auto except for locking the PCI, PCIe and the memory buss. This is the most friendly overclocking MB I've ever come across and I like it very much!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138264

At $69.99 it's a steal as far as I'm concerned. I consider the 15% OC I got a mild overclock considering how much fiddling you usually have to do on a higher end chip like the 4000+. It's rock stable and survived a 24 hour Prime 95 run with no errors. The benchmarks I posted are great for a single core. I would expect a 20%+ OC on andrew31's 3800+ with no problems and no heat issues. Maybe when he gets new memory his current MB will OC better, but it sure won't be as easy!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Marsey99 & andrew31,

Here's the benchmarks for math at 2.76GHz on the 4000+. These are with Sandra 2007, so they are lower than the 2005 scores. notice that it's right there with the 2.8GHz FX-57 which is supposed to be the fastest single core for socket 939.

[​IMG]

Not too shabby for a single core! I didn't bother posting the memory bandwidth as it's almost exactly the same as with the Sandra 2005 at 6200+!

Happy Computering
    theone

20. andrew31

andrew31 Regular member

2.47 that would be good.

in the bios on changing the voltage to cpu, stock is 1.4,but if i change it to 1.55 then go into cpuz theres no change.

how do you's rate this card?
    PNY - GEFORCE 7300GS 256MB PCI-E GRAPHICS CARD

as i have another amd board but its pci-e so i need a graphics card