1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. andrew31

andrew31 Regular member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  2. onya

onya Guest

theone,I've tried considerably to get sandra '07 but with no success. After contacting sisoft, i got this reply....

"I'm sorry, but we recommend that everybody upgrades to XI; as the digital certificate used to sign 2007 has expired all if not most copies will now not work anymore.

There are only very minor differences between 2007 and XI, the benchmark source code has not changed. Due to minor compiler updates, the generated code has changed slightly.

Thank you "

Looks like i'm stuck with X1, so are future image posts any help at all to you?

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

andrew31,
    Not a very good video card. It only has 4 pixel pipelines. I found my card which is an X800 GTO. It will have is 8 pipelines. They don't overclock a whole lot but they really don't need to. These ar PCIe!!! They are disappearing fast!

I just found an x800 GT for $79 at Newegg. Grab it while you can. Don't worry about the brand as they all have ATi components and boards. These OC pretty good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131420

They will sell out fast, so hurry and get one while you can as the next decent step up is expensive!

Happy Computering,
    theone

4. andrew31

andrew31 Regular member

thanks just looking at nvidia GeFORCE 6600 PCI Express 512mb (sparkle)
    x800 sounds better
    at the min i have the geforce 6800 256mb witch is great ,but it agp

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

onya,
    XL is 2007, it's just an upgraded version. Download the Lite version, it's free. It will do everything you need!

Happy Computering,
    theone

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@andrew
    have you got an auto overclocking option? ifso switch it to manual (iv not had time to look for your bios yet)

@theonejr
    aren't the 2 value select's running dual channle and the pny running on its own?

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

andrew31,
    I have the AGP 8x GTO version. They come with 12 advertised pipes, but most come with 16!

[​IMG]

I would have prefered the X800GT but I had to settle for this one. Not bad for the money. You will be happy with the GT and the memory clock is much faster at 950MHz vs my 500MHz!

Happy Computering,
    theone

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Marsey99,
    Nope, that's why I said it was strange. Sandra lists it as 1GB instead of 512x2 but it's listed as running Dual-Channel, even in the Post! the PNY are the pair listed as 512x2 while the Value Select is listed as 1GB! Wierd!!!LOL!! It's certainly not hurting the memory bandwidth on the 4000+ at 6200+!

Happy Computering,
    theone

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

russ thats what i mean, the corsair matched pair are running dual, so they are seen, and used, as one 1 gb block. the pny on the other hand are running single and thats why they are seen as two 512mb blocks.

@andrew

the 6600 is a step down from your 6800, the extra ram wont make much difference. the x800 is a class above and is on par with (and in some games beyond) the 7600gt and 1650xt for fps in games. right im off finding out about your bios now :)

edit

after looking at your bios i dont think i missed any thing, i will see if anyone else has an idea whats stopping it.

10. crowy

crowy Guest

andrew31,
    Try just using 1 memory stick in slot 1.
    Those 2 sticks might not like working together.

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

crowy i got the new Antec Nine Hunderd gaming case and the Opteron 185 in and running!!

12. crowy

crowy Guest

aabbccdd,
    Sounds like it's time to have some fun!!!

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah this Opteron 185 is lighting fast and my system/mobo is running 10 degrees cooler 28c to 30c at tops even when i am gaming

CPU runs between 36c to 40c so this baby runs much cooler than the Lian Li . The Lian Li are beautiful cases BUT suck for cooling .live and learn

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Marsey99,
    When I had them paired with my XMS in the D-940 it showed 4 individual 512s running 2 channel so maybe this is an AMD thing. It doesn't matter as the 4000+ rocks. I may even get my roomie another GB of Value select for Christmas and maybe use the PNY for my next customer job since there's nothing to be gained using it in my Rig!

The base MB I use these days is the BioStar GForce 6100 M9 with an Athlon 64 4000+ which uses DDR, so no problem using it up without losing anything. I've got 2 business builds pending anyway so I might just do that. My business customers seem to like what I give them for the money and I'm basicly replacing old Rambus P4s and Celerons with a much better and faster product. It's a win, win market for me!

aabbccdd,
    All Right!!! Bet it's finer than Frog Hair! Lets see some benches. What MB did you put it in, your old one? I want to put one in the TForce 6100 939 and see what it does! I'm going to test the Cooler Master Cavalier case before the week is out as Newegg just shipped a new one (finally) to replace the stolen one! I'll let you know how it works out. Nice looking case for a non-gamer.

[​IMG]

Should look impressive with 2 Silver Optical drives. I just hope it works as good as it looks. Congradulations!!

andrew31,
    For posting images go back to my post a page or so back, to onya and follow the instructions I gave. It's all listed as to what and how!

Happy Computering,
    theone

15. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Russ yes same Mobo (per my sig) i did upgrade the PS to a 750 watt

with this (Antec Nine Hunderd) case compared the Lian Li the mobo is mounted the other way which helps it cool better with that copper pipe

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,
    Good to see you up and running. Quite a bit of difference with this case as far as cooling goes.

I'm seriously considering the Xclio case, even though it looks a bit like a turbine engine. Should work real well with my Presler. I like the black but I have silver optical drives as the price was much better than the black for the same drives. A bit more room wouldn't hurt either as my case is getting a bit crowded. I also like the sound of 800 RPM fans (pun intended)! I should easily be able to run them at 600 so it would be real quiet, plus the fans should be have a long life considering how slow they turn. Each fan is adjustable individually so balancing them will be a snap.

Hope you enjoy your new Opty and goo luck with it.

Happy Computering,
    theone

17. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah the new Opteron 185 is really really nice and Fast!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2006
  18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,
    Any benchmarks yet??? I'm dying to see what it can do with all the quality parts you've got! HINT, HINT!!! I feel like a puppy with it's tongue hanging out. I'm drooling already!!LOL!!! Would pretty please help???LOL!! Never seen an Opty 185 before, here or at the Hounds!!

BTW, I finished my roomates A64 4000+. right at FX-57 MIPS. Very nice MB in the TForce 6100 939. Excellent overclocking features. Got it running at a 15% OC at 2.76GHz. Runs cool as ice with the Arctic Freezer 64 Pro! I would love to put that Opty 185 in it and take it for a spin!

How do you like the look of that Cooler Master case? It looks real nice to me, for home or business. A very clean, no nonsense look about it!

Happy Computering,
    theone

19. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yes i like that Cool master case i saw one this past weekend at the PC shop very nice.

i will run some bench marks soon if i remember how lol . i do have Sandra Lite 2007

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,

Thank you!!!

onya,
    Don't bother with XL as it won't unzip, at least not with RAR. PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the previous version which I just installed and it works fine. Don't post your e-mail address on the thread!!! I don't quite know what's going on with the date thing and like I said mine works fine. Now I'm getting a little suspicious as I have downloaded XL from 3 different locations and it won't unzip with Win RAR, which always works! I unzipped the previous version with no problem. Can you handle zip files?

Sincerely,
    theone