1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. onya

onya Guest

Hi to all, of all the webs and threads i've visited so far for dvd stuff or o/clocking, this site has to be the BEST, you guys really know your game. Your patience and generosity to me as a newbie has been awsome. So congrat's to AFTERDAWN for a site with quality, and to the people who subscribe to it. As for me... i won't be a proverbial pain in the butt forever, we all have to start somewhere. Guy's, from me and mine to you and yours, have a great christmas break and all the very best for the new year.

Cheers for now :)

2. andrew31

andrew31 Regular member

merry christmas onya, and everybody

3. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@onya
    ditto, and a happy holidays to yall from me and mine.

@andrew

that more like it :)
    try upping your volts to the cpu, if still no joy put it back and drop your ram as it is running at ddr440. good luck with it and have fun.

keep your eye on your temps when you up the volts, and drop your htlink again when it starts to go above 1000 again.

4. andrew31

andrew31 Regular member

how do i drop the ram speed?
    when i put the fsb up the ram goes with it?

5. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

yep. you up cpu frequency it ups the ram and ht link.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All,

Anyone out there own a Panasonic "Toughbook" CF-48. I have been all over the web and can't find an ATi Mobility M7 LW video driver. I've tried ones from Dell and HP plus the supposedly universal Mobility 7500 drivers and nothing works. I can't even get it to give any options but ATi. Even if I could just load a plain Jane VGA driver it would be better than it is, but it won't give me that option.

I've called Panasonic and ATi with no results other than promises that no one's kept! The guy at Panasonic infered that it was kinda old (4 years)! Let's see it's a 1.8 mobile P4. Gee, I guess that qualifies it for the scrapheap! NOT!!! Care to guess what my next laptop won't be! Anybody out there with one, let me know if I can get the video driver from them.

Happy Holidays,
    theone

7. onya

onya Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2006
  8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

onya,
    Thanks! The main web page doesn't show computers and the MK5 page is blank, it just says done at the bottom!

I've called both ATi and Panasonic with no luck. panasonic was supposed to have someone contact me for support but that never happened. I can't believe that I might well have to chuck this laptop because of the lack of a video driver. I'll never get another panasonic laptop! Not with that much lack of support. I guess i just wasted my money for a new hard drive! Thanks for trying!

Happy holidays,
    theone

9. onya

onya Guest

Ouch, I can't believe that your getting such bad support. If your interested, I can download the files for you, zip 'em and send them off to your hotmail or whatever, up to you. Heres the details of what panasonic aust have;
    Video driver, model CF-48E/F(mk5)
    CF-48F4KFUKM (15.8mb file size)
    Release date 04/23/2004
    Driver-48-0011

model CF-48G(mk6)
    CF-48G4KFUKM (20.1mb file size)
    Release date 04/27/2004
    Driver-48-0046

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

onya,

I've already tried those and they won't work. Mine is a CF-48X which is one of the newest revisions. Problem is I only found one thing about this model and that's some specs that are correct, but nothing else. That's in the Toughbook FAQ and all it tells you is it's a 1.8 Mobile P4 with a 30GB hard drive. I had to use Astra32 to even identify the video card. I did notice that the video memory is 0! It may just be the lack of a driver. Thanks for trying anyway

Happy Holidays,
    theone

11. onya

onya Guest

theone, a short story. The company i work for (Engineering/product development) have been manufacturing the prototypes,for the toughbook cradles/componentry for in car installations, for another design company. It seems that some government departments, and private also, are queing up to get these toughbooks installed in their vehicles. If they get the same level of support that you've been getting, then there will be some very red faces at panasonic. The whole reason for me having a look see for you is that the product is still under refinement(to a small degree)and it is still a current topic.(at work that is). I actually know the managing director of the design company(Brett), but.... not that well to ask favours. Don't chuck the hardware away just yet, you just never know what's around the corner.

Happy holidays also,
    Cheers
    Steve

(EDIT) PS: Not to push the issue, I havn't recieved the copy of sandra that you guy's have. Please advise if there are problems with doing so.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2006
  12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

onya,
    I didn't know you didn't get it. Did you get any part? Oh hell, I'll just resend right now!

Happy Hoildays,
    theone

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

onya,

I don't know where my brain is! I sent Kansas. I'll send Sandra right now. Sorry!

Happy Holidays,
    theone

14. ck5134

ck5134 Regular member

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ck5134,
    No I haven't but I found 2 video drivers on it that may work. I still can't find my specific model which is CF48X. One of the drivers is marked M7, so I'm hoping!

Thanks, I appreciate the links. I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: Just a quick note to thank you. I was able to find a working Vid Driver and the Function key Driver. Both work excellent.
    Thanks again, JRS

EDIT: Here was my biggest surprise Christmas gift of all! An e-mail from Newegg! I had a case I ordered come missing and it arrived the day after the replacement, in a very damaged box but unscratched. I offered to purchase it from them for a reasonable discount to avoid the hassle of them having to ship me a box and then arrange a pick up. This was my answer!

Thank you for writing back to Newegg.

Please kindly note that we did not charge you for the replacement item since you did not receive the item you paid for. It means that you actually only paid for one case. Now you have received both the original item and the replacement one. If you want to keep both of them, we normally need to charge you for the second one. However, considering the inconvenience that this has caused you, we would like to make a one time exception for you not to charge you for the replacement item. We would like to send it to you as a free gift. Now you can keep both of the items if you like.

I guess the answer to the question is "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus". Now that's what I call great Customer Service!

Happy Holidays,
    theone

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  16. 4thmebcoB

4thmebcoB Member

Sorry to interrupt guys.
    Alright I'm a newbie when it comes to OCing (never done it) & i would like to OC my system to its best possible. I've tried reading several threads & articles on how to do this but I'm having a hard time understanding the lingo (e.g. fsb & such. My system specs are:

MB:asus P5NSLI
    CPU: intel dual core E6400 2.13ghz
    4 GB corsair xms2 w/ plat. heat spreader
    Geforce Nvidia 7600 GT 256mb
    cooler master Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit
    Power supply: Apevia 680W BEAST POWER ATX
    Also I have these programs: sandra 07 & 3dmark06

I'd really like to OC this sytem but I don't really understand what to change in the BIOS, could someone help me out? it would be greatly appreciated. Thx in advance. I will be here for a little while but after that I might not be able to check back til tomorrow.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, you've got mostly a good selection of parts there. I don't know about how stable an Apevia Power supply is though, that could potentially limit how far you can overclock the system.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  18. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Haha nice but youve got too wonder what are you gonna do with 2 cases?

Just blag one off on ebay and uve made money back on your purchase!!

Haha happy new year everyone!

Lecsiy

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,
    Well, I've got the D-940 all but sold. All I need to see is the color of thier money! I'm going to replace it with an Opteron 180 on a TForce 6100 939 MB, 1GB Corsair XMS, Seagate 250GB S-ata 3.0 drive, Sapphire X1900XT 16x PCIe, Asus 16x DVD Rom, NEC 16x DVDRW. For now I'll install it in my old case with My Ultra 600 Watt Dual 12v rail PS. I'll use the excellent heat pipe HSF that comes with the Opteron and be set for a while. I'll add a couple of round cables for the optical drives and spend a little less than the $750 I'm selling the D-940 for.

I look at it this way, I getting a good upgrade and my customer is getting an essentially new machine that is light years better than the old Compaq Celeron it's replacing. All I have to do is switch the Ultra PS with a 500 Watt Cooler Master I already have and it's ready to go!

I like the TF MB as we have the A64 4000+ installed in one at 2.76GHz and it rocks! Should do pretty good with the Opty 180! If not it will do for now as it should still be a lot faster than the D-940!

theone

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  20. herrick

herrick Regular member

@ samorris and aabbccdd

I have noticed that you both use courseair memory[you two now and in the past have/had simular machines as what I have and plus the fact that you both- I have come to learn much from]... I have seen others also... BUT given the fact "Follow the leader" It makes me wonder?

What is the differance to what I have? and what is your opinion of the memory I use...per. sig

the resoan I ask is- you know more LOL