1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. herrick

herrick Regular member

DUDES...SORRY

I thought I was in the "New" PC buiding thread.... Man how do I get this over there... w/ out double posting?

2. herrick

herrick Regular member

@4thmebcoB

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"

Not so my friend-\

The deadiest weapon in the world is a Marine that lost is way-

It took me years of placing pain to come to that insight...

God bless and keep focused- Hate the sin, not the sinner-

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Russ the Opteron 185s are gone at Tiger Direct sucks huh . glad i jumped on it

4. herrick

herrick Regular member

@aabbccdd

are they not making those 185 anymore?... I have to wait a little longer for the cash. MAN i really want one- and can you give me you opinion on my last "Q" on memory?

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

the 939 socket is being phased out you will not be able to get the Opteron 185 for long

is your memorey Corsair? if it is your ok the 3500 i have has the LED lights on it , iam pretty sure thats the only difference

6. herrick

herrick Regular member

I use 2 Gig Crucial PC3200 unbuffered NON-ECC DDR400

Do you think Tiger will not have any more 185 ever again? where else may I find that CPU?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2006
  7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

oh ok i am not sure then Russ or Sam may know

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

9. herrick

herrick Regular member

aabbccdd

I thought you had a fx60 before..... the 185 is bigger right?

noticed some reviews that said its a great CPU if it is set up right?

Man... gunna have to have someone help me w/ the O switch a roow

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i had the Opteron 175 sold it and got the Opteron 185 and can tell a difference

11. herrick

herrick Regular member

is the fx60 a daul core? Is the 185 bigger?

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yes the FX-60 is a Dual-Core its 2.6GHz at stock the Opteron 185 is 2.6GHz at stock but OCs very well to 2.8GHz to 3.00GHz and higher. mines OC(ed) to 2.87GHz

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2006
  13. herrick

herrick Regular member

Hmmmm....thank you

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Herrick,
    It depends on what Crucial you have! They make good memory, just some OC better than others. Some models are better than others. Same way with Corsair or any of the major brands. I now have Corsair cas2 XMS DDR400 and it OCs pretty good at 464MHz.

I'll give you a valuable lesson in computer building here. Buy the absolute best you can afford. If you know from others experience that something is better, wait until it's on sale! For the money I've spent getting my D-940 the way it should have been from the beginning, I could now have a Conroe 6600! There is a difference between cheap and low cost! Buying cheap usually means sacrificing quality. Quality parts usually equal a quality computer! When you sacrifice quality, you usually sacrifice performance. I should have waited until I could afford quality parts instead of taking the cheap route! It's one thing to buy a cheap DVD drive for $15. It's quite another thing to buy the wrong memory for say $75 and have to replace it with something that costs $100, or a Power Supply for $40 when you really needed the $70 one to do the job right. In the end, it all adds up!

Innitially I took the cheap route. I skimped on the power supply which cost me the grief of a motherboard RMA and a month lost, even though it was replaced under warranty. I bought cheap PNY Cas 3 memory instead of waiting until I could afford the Corsair cas 2! I used IDE drives instead of waiting until I could get a S-ata drive at a reasonable price. Little things that add up that mean everything to the speed of the computer. Now I've got it right but it cost me in the long run! I bought a lot of what seemed like bargains at the time only to have to replace certain things to make it all run good. The biggest thing is that I was impatient! Everyone else had a dual-core so I wanted one. I wound up with a good machine but nothing like the ones my friends had.

Now I'm a bit wiser and a bit more patient. In the next month or so I'll be getting around to building what I could have built at the start, over a year ago which is many times better than what I have now! I learned my lesson the hard way, but the mistakes I made were expensive. At 62, after years of building computers you would think I should have known better, but I didn't!

aabbccdd,
    Curse you Red Barron! LOL!! I'll be somewhere's in the middle with the 180. Hey, it's the best that I can do for the $$$s! I'm just lucky to find someone that wanted my D-940. Next to what they have, it's a rocket! I'll have to sacrifice the case for now, but I'll eventually get another one just like it!

Happy Holidays,
    theone

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

@herrick: LOL i'm flattered, Crucial and Corsair are both very good brands of RAM, and I don't think I've heard of any horror stories from either. All I know is that for some reason, Corsair seems more popular for an enthusiasts choice, and the memory I got was a good price at the time. Your RAM is fine, and probably performs equally, if not better than mine.
    @Theone: Exactly the same for me. Now running a decent Hiper PSU, Corsair RAM and a Zalman HSF. Before, my old PC had a Qtec PSU for a while (before it destroyed half the components in the system), horrible Elixir RAM (which I believe has since failed, I've not investigated why it doesn't boot any more yet), and although I used an Arctic cooling heatsink, it only cost £9, and it showed - the system always ran very hot, even for an Athlon XP. Oddly, replacing the thermal grease even with cheap coolermaster stuff dropped the idle temp by 16 Celsius.. When i took the heatsink off the paste was perfectly applied.... Says something about the tube that came with the heatsink, huh?

To all those who want 185s in the near future: Buy them now!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  16. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@4thmebcoB

:) thats why its called the overclocking thread.

looking at your specs i think your mobo will run out before your cpu will, the nf570 doesnt oc that well. as for actual settings, i cant help realy with ocing a intel (others will/can), but you basicly up you cpu frequncy till you need more voltage, then depending on your ram (and how much higher you get) you might need to drop that and change the divider.

17. herrick

herrick Regular member

Thanks all, better start saving my pop cans and maybe sell the cat and dog!

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Russ iam sure the Opteron 180 will do you great

funny thing i OC(ed) my Opteron 185 to 2.87GHz in the BIOS and the core actually runs cooler OC(ed) that at stock lol.It probably kicked in the Zalman 9500 to run at a higher speed . but man my web pages load in a flash

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,
    Well, I can always hope that the price of the 185 from Newegg will drop in the next couple of weeks! LOL!!! Even with the 180 it should be about 25% faster than the D-940!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  20. onya

onya Guest

theone, got a reply from panasonic re: vga driver

"Sorry for late reply and I have posted a video driver on this FTP folder. Please try and see if it will work.

Ftp server:

Account :

Password:

URL for Browser:

This password is valid only for 2 days.

* valid until: 2007/01/04 06:59:46 (JST, UTC+9)

* You cannot telnet to the server with this account.

Best regards"

Believe it or not, it's an ATI driver. EXACTLY what you didn't want, but reading the previous page it seems you have what you need anyways. Happy New Year to All.