1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

onya,
    ck5134 sent me a Christmas present. He sent me a link to ATi, Canada. Believe it or not the US thread only listed up to the CF-48R model, while the Canadian one went all the way to the CF-48Y! I posted it about a page back. It had the exact M7 driver I needed and it worked perfectly.
    Thank you so much for your time and effort. I really appreciate everyones help. Hope you had a nice Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Happy Computering,
    theone

2. 4thmebcoB

4thmebcoB Member

Sammorris & marsey99, sorry for the late response & I appreciate the reply's.
    Ok I had this comp built 1 month ago & UNFORTUNATELY I didn't think about OC'ing when I chose this system. I started reading the reviews on the board & all say "this isn't a good OC'ing board". So what board would you recommend that OC's good ($ isn't a BIG concern but nothing rediculous)?Also,Sam you said you wasn't sure about the power supply i got, why is that just outta curiosity?
    @ marsey99, lol I might as well have been reading about the human brain when you mentioned the "divider".? Overall I'm starting to think maybe I'm getting way over my head with all this & should probably leave it alone till I get more experience in computers & how they work.I wanted to do this since I've read that others have overclocked this cpu to about 3.0 & plus i would like to get more familiar with this aspect of computers in general.

@ herrick:
    I hear ya bro....seriously. "hate the sin,not the sinner" I like that - cheers & God bless you & yours.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wouldn't go ahead and buy a new board just for overclocking unless you're seriously into it. What PSU was it you had? You need reliable brands to get any decent level of performance

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

its the chipsets that realy dictate how well a mobo will oc. the intel 965 ones are good overclockers. this is because they have been out a while now and have had all the bugs ironed out. the new kid on the block is the nf680, it has shown some very good results but has also had some issues as it is new. given time i am sure they will be sorted, in fact i bet someone somewhere is working on it as you read this, and i dont doubt it will be the mobo to have for 07(more so if you want sli).

heres the the thing, mobos that oc will cost the most. its that simple.

personal choice.
    my money, id get an abit ab9. if money wasnt an issue it would be a evga nf680i.

edit
    i dont think your 680w psu will have any trouble with your rig and any overclock you can get. it might in the future if you add a more power hungry graphics card and/or a quad core cpu, this will do all the math for you.

as for you ram, is it pc5400 or pc6400?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ck5134 & onya,
    I've solved the mystery of the Panasonic CF-48X Toughbook. It was originally purchased by someone in the US Navy, stationed in Italy. He bought it from the PX! It isn't sold in North America, only in Europe. That would explain why drivers were so difficult to come by here. The video driver I used was from the next model up the CF-48Y, which was sold in Canada. Thanks to both of you for your efforts on this one.

Marsey99,
    I've settled on the P5N-E SLI for an Intel MB. It has the nFource 650i SLI Chipset and overclocks well. It's only downside is if you use both video slots, they both become 8x. I have no need and from what I understand the difference between dual 16x is slight. It's also Quad Core ready!

Happy Computering,
    theone

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All,
    Well, you learn something new every day! On my new Cooler Master Cavalier case I had a problem with the Artic Freezer 7 clearing the duct on the side cover so I replaced it with an 80MM Thermaltake fan thinking that this might even make to temps a little lower.

Today I tried a little experiment and cut down the inside cuff of the duct about 3/4", removed the fan and put the duct back on. Cooler Master designers must know what they are doing as the CPU temp dropped 2 to 3C and never hit over 48C folding all day at 95% CPU usage on both cores, in a 24C room. I'm running the D-940 at 3.71GHz so heat can be an issue! The only explanation I can offer is the fan I put where the duct was must interfere with the airflow of the cooling fan on the Arctic Freezer 7! Even the motherboard runs a couple of degrees cooler.

Next thing I'm gonna try is to replace the stock fan that came with the case and replace it with a Thermaltake Thunderblade 120mm I have and see if that improves the cooling any. I just don't like the damn red lights in the fan on this case as there's no window.

Stay tuned!

Happy Computering,
    theone

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, and you say your Thermaltake Thunderblade is really quiet? I don't know where I went wrong with mine then...
    By the way, as far as I knew, most motherboards made sli run in two lots of 8x, but when are you going to use SLi?

8. herrick

herrick Regular member

folding = ?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Folding at Home - uses your CPU to process proteins to cure cancer, in a nutshell!

10. herrick

herrick Regular member

You know...I believe Sam you told me that before...LOL I just dont get it- LOL- Is this in the states? or something the UK only get to partake in? Someone using my CPU other then me...Makes me LOL!!![You said something about alian life form last time if I remmber right]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nah it's international. Team-based. I don't see the attraction of SETI at Home, but folding for medical science I don't mind about! There's a GPU Client that allows X1900 and X1950 series Radeon cards to run it too. That apparently yields better results.

12. herrick

herrick Regular member

OK...LOL [We need a bigger boat]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

herrick,
    What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals.

We are all a part of this "Super Computer", which allows the Scientists to get results in hours, instead of years by linking all of this folding imformation together through over a million computers, all over the world. In effect we make a Cray Supercomputer seem slow! Combine the power of 2 20,000 MIPS computers and you in effect, have 1 40,000 MIPS computer. As you add more computers the MIPS go up to staggering heights and capabilities! It's sort of the same principle as a "Beowolf" rig, with many computers linked together to make 1 very fast one. Hope that answers your question!

Sam,
    Don't know on the Thunderblade. Maybe it was somehow defective but mine is much quieter than the average 120mm fan and it moves 78 CFM of air.

I don't have any intention of using SLI Just like Soph didn't with his setup. It will always be there if I ever do want it! The P5N-E SLI is just a great board for overclocking any Intel socket 775 CPU from the P4 up, at a reasonable price. It also has 2 IDE channels which will allow me to use 1 optical drive on each. It's all ready and waiting for the Quad-Core as well. Should be very fast!

Happy Computering,
    theone

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've no doubt about the 78CFM, it moves enough air, but it is quite loud. To be quite fair, it's as lodu as I expected any fan that moves that much air to be. The fans i typically use are low airflow 35CFM 1000rpm ones, they're nearly silent. The Thermaltake is far from silent...

15. 4thmebcoB

4thmebcoB Member

@Marsey99 & sammorris

Thanks for the help guys. I've decided to just leave it alone because like you said sam I wouldnt buy a new MB just to overclock especially since I just got this system.This computer runs very good as is so i'm happy, i was just wanting a little more out of it if I could thats all no big deal tho.
    Marsey99,I checked into that AB9 you mentioned & for $150 give or take that might be my next buy in the near future.
    (By the way my memory is PC6400)

Anyway thanks again for the help appreciate it.

16. onya

onya Guest

Strange as it may seem, I'd just about given up on this thread. No postings for sometime.I couldn't see the appropriate THREAD LINK at the forums page etc. Nice to know it's still active. Have you guys had a longer than usual holiday break? I must admit that since the holiday season began,I've become an absolute insomniac! Please keep this thread alive..

17. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

still here but if no response is needed, whats the point?

4thmebcoB if your still reading, the ddr2 800 will alow you to overclock the cpu with out overclocking your ram or using dividers (its a good thing).

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

4thmebcoB,

If you do decide to switch out mobo's in the future, the asus P5W DH Deluxe is a very good board for OC'ing. I got my E6600 (2.4 ghz stock) up to 3.0 ghz easy and I've heard of several ppl getting up to 3.4 ghz stabble on air.

Russ,

If you're going to build a new pc from the ground up why are you going with an opty 180 instead of an intel E6600? They're about the same price and the E6600 will outperform the opty 180.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    Originally I was just going to do an upgrade with a new MB and using my old memory and drives. I discovered that I could do a 6400 with new MB and memory for about the same price. Since I'm so busy with new builds right now, I will more than likely be able to build myself a 6600 on an Asus P5N-E SLI MB with G-Skill memory and 7600GT graphics for a reasonable price.

Happy Computering,
    theone

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

Kustom. You won't be sorry. One member here (I think it's teflonmyk) has an E6400 OC'ed to 3.2 ghz and only had to raise the vcore to 1.35 volts. I think the additional 2M of L2 cache and .27 ghz with the E6600 is definately worth the extra money though. With the right mobo and memory these things are OC'ing monsters.

Newegg has a sale on 2gb (2x1gb matched sticks) corsair XMS2 DDR2 PC2 6400C4 memory for $236 after a $40 mail in rebate with free shipping. They did have it on sale for $217 but that sale has expired. I about fell out of my chair when I saw that. I paid $259 for the same memory 2 months ago.