1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I chose the MB and memory very carefully. The P5N-E has excellent overclocking abilities and I've heard enough good things about this particular memory on the P5N-E. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231094 It's from G,Skill. It's cas4 4-4-4-12. I'm actually starting to get excited about a new build for me! It's sort of an economy build to start with as I have a case, PS and a DVD Rom. Down the road I plan to upgrade them as well and add another GB of memory to it too! Add that inexpensive 7600GT to it and it shound be quite a competent machine! I chose the 7600GT x16 because I don't need the top graphics card and this will play most games nicely. I can also add a second 7600GT for SLI if I want. Sam told me that the nVidia runs much cooler than the ATi when I asked his advice on this card. Thank You Sam!

Happy Computering,
    theone

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All,
    Well, the great Cooler Master side air duct vs the fan test on the Zalman is over. The result of using the cut down duct is 4C lower CPU temps in a 24C room. It now idles at 38C instead of the 42C it did with the fan! I would assume that these results would be the same on any case that has a duct right over the CPU so If you removed your duct and replaced it with a fan you might try modifying the duct and remove the fan. It should be quieter and run cooler without it!

Happy Computering,
    theone

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not that surprised about that, I can't help but wonder why I only see the ducting on the old or basic Dell systems...

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,
    On the Dells it's like a tunnel that pulls airflow through it to cool the CPU and exhaust the case. On a side duct like a lot of computers have, it's to get more cool air over the CPU drawn in by the pressure difference caused by smaller inlet air and the larger amount being pulled by the big case fan. Putting a fan in it's place seems to disturb the air flow through the cooler and makes it run warmer, plus it negates the negative pressure so the air vents don't draw very much air. I tried it both ways (the benefit of having 2 of the same case) and it was always 42C with the fan and 38C with the duct. 1 less fan = less noise & a cooler CPU! Sounds like a winner to me!

Happy computering,
    theone

5. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

can some one tell me if there is any way to overclock a celeron northwood 2.6 GHZ while running windows? i check in the bios and there was no way to overclock

thanks

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

is your PC a brand-name unit like Dell? If it is, you can't really, unless you see an FSB setting.

7. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

yea it was like a compaq or something

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah your BIOS is probably locked to prevent overclocking. Most pre-made PCs like those are, to prevent extra warranty returns...

9. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

it probably is locked, because when i go to the BIOS, it only states the FSB speed and voltage, but i cant change it

so i guess this means there is no way to overclock it?

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

you could try clockgen but you will only get limited results because of your bios settings

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  11. onya

onya Guest

@marsey99, Mind if I jump in, While following the guide on Clockgen, I put in the correct chipset and ticked the IGNORE GSB/PCI then pressed READ CLOCKS as described...almost instantly the monitor shut off while the pc appeared to still be going. So after about 30/45secs I shut down and rebooted, all seems well, did I do something wrong? was it really supposed to what I described? or was I a little too impatient, and perhaps shut down unnecessarily?

Cheers.

12. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

that is exactly what happened to me. the screen went blank but the light was still green (on) i reset the computer and everything was the same as before.

were we like supposed to wait a little longer for the change to take affect? As it says on the web site, the change seems to be almost instant.

13. onya

onya Guest

@Nissan101, did you get this message when you made your reboot also?

[​IMG]

Cheers.

14. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

no i didnt, did i do something wrong or something?

15. onya

onya Guest

No,not at all. it's just that I did, so I clicked exit without restart
    Now I'm starting to worry! LOL

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007
  16. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

i only get that message when i exit msconfig, how did you get that message?

17. onya

onya Guest

Ok, now I'm getting panicky...LOL
    I simply followed the same directions as yourself and presto, that's what I got. I'll do a reboot later and see what happens. Can't wait for an answer on this one! :)

Cheers.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Looks that way...

19. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

my screen went blank after (where you push apply selection at the pll control tab)

are you sure you found your correct model?

20. onya

onya Guest

I'm almost certain of the selection. ICS 952607 is what's in the PLL Setup box at the moment. This should correspond to an ICS 865PE-A chipset. If you disagree, please correct me.

Cheers.