1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The northbridge will get hot but I havent heard of any occasions where that has limited an overclock. If you're concerned you can get a separate chipset cooling system, but as far as I know that on the P5 WDH Deluxe is more than sufficient.

2. ademgs

ademgs Member

thanks for the reply. could you also tell me if the ati x1300xt 512mb graphics card would be able to handle an overclock if i am raising the systems fsb as far as they can go, coz i no its a budget card and i havnt found any good overclcok review about it

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

The P5W DH Deluxe mobo does run hotter than the average mobo. What some are doing is modding the mobo. What they do is before the mobo is installed in the case, remove the heatsinks from the northbridge and southbridge, remove the cruddy thermal pads and reinstall the heatsinks using some good thermal compound. They sometimes also remove the gold colored tin coverings from the heatsinks so they can breath.

I didn't mod mine (wish I would have and still might) but did mod my buddies. The thermal pads that asus uses are crap and there were only two edges between the southbridge and heatsink that were even contacting each other.

You will probably need to set the PCIe frequency @ 100 and the PCI sync clock @ 33.33. 3.5ghz is a big OC for an E6300. I'm not saying it can't be done but that is a big leap. More than I would want to bite off running on air.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  4. onya

onya Guest

@theonejrs, Thanks a bunch for that extra link (in edit) Those guys seemed to have many probs with that mobo. Hmmm.

@Mort81, I'd honestly forgotten it was installed..doh. I'm better late than never I guess LOL.

Sorry for the late reply guys, it's been 42/43c+ here, and my ISP servers "fell over". Not to mention the native wildlife :}

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2007
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

onya,
    Is that like Cow Tipping? LOL!!!

Happy Computering,
    theone

6. ademgs

ademgs Member

do you know of any good heatsinks that are compatible with the board for the northbridge and southbride. also any good retailers for the uk thanks

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

No reason to replace the heatsinks. The ones that come on the mobo are adequate whether you perfom the mod or not. Modding the board should drop the temp a few degrees but is not absolutely necessary. It should perform ok either way. I've not heard of the northbridge temps on the D5W DH hendering OC'ing. It is a very OC capable mobo.

The cpu temp is obviously a factor when OC'ing due to having to raise the vcore voltage for moderate to high OC's.

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

better cooling will always help you atain a higher oc, wether it be for your cpu, ram, chipsets or gpu. now wether the increase justifys the time/money spent on the extra cooling is down to the individual.

9. ademgs

ademgs Member

i bought the scythe infinity and it is huge, if i put it in my system the heatsink will probably leave only 1cm of space to the side panel. will this cause me any problems? and is it possible to install 2 fans on the infinity? (1 on each side)? fanx

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If the heatsink is close to the side of the case, and the fans sit on the side of the heatsink blowing air from front to back, then youre fine. If theres one that blows air towards the CPU, then it needs to be a good distance from the side of the case. It looks like you might be able to put two fans on the Scythe, but I personally think 1 is sufficient.

11. ademgs

ademgs Member

the infinity heatsink has the fan attached to the side blowing air in. do you fink i could put one blowing in from the front and then the one at the back blowing out or will it be pointless?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You probably could, and in theory it should increase the airflow a bit, but I don't really think its worthwhile. A higher airflow single fan would do a better job.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ademgs,
    I personally don't think the Infinity cooler is a good choice as it's very heavy at 960 grams and is 160MM tall and has to mount sideways! Eventually, all that weight will come into play and it will hit the side cover as it slowly warps the motherboard, if it's as close as you say it is. Adding another fan would make it even heavier! I've personally been very happy with the Zalman 9500LED and the Arctic Freezer series. I'm using a Freezer 7 right now with my OC'd D-940 and it's idling at 31C in a 27C room. It hits 42 to 48C while encoding! Can't ask for much better than that on air! The price was right too!

Happy Computering,
    theone

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's also worth checking out the Noctua heatsinks. They're heavy, but not as bad as the Scythe, and look quite good performance-wise.

15. ademgs

ademgs Member

if i do need a bigger case do you know of any which would be sufficient for cooling and also compact as the space i want the tower in is a maximum 42.5cm and most of the good ATX cases are 43cm and the smaller ones are crap when it comes to ventilation. also are there any mods i can make on my case to give it better ventilation?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As many large fan slots (120mm or more) as possible. My case is on the small side compared to a lot, but three 120mm fans and 2 80mms help keep it well ventilated, such that i can play games with the fans at half speed.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Tell you what! I'm impressed with this Cooler Master Cavalier case. I'm down to 1 80mm in the front, a 120mm in the rear and the power supply fans for case ventilation. The side duct for the CPU works perfectly and the other air inlets draw plenty of cool air too. It's been warm here the last couple of days so the room temp has stayed around 27 to 28C. That's pretty warm! Right now it's been cooling off and the room temp is down to 24C. It's idling at 29C. I encoded a couple of hours of video this afternoon and the tell tale says 47C is the hottest it got. I like this case. I miss the window and lights but I like this case. Now if I could only find a silver floppy for it, it would be perfect. Dollars to donuts I'll have to paint it myself to get one.

ademgs,
    I hope you are not stuffing the computer in a narrow space. Computer desk designers need to get thier heads out of thier butts and re-think where the computer is supposed to go. They build a silly little 10" or so wide shelf and put it on the right side of the desk. This was OK back in the days of the Pentium but today, there's just too much heat to get rid of, especially when they have the left side of the case covered by the side of the desk. The computer needs room to breathe. Under a desk is the worst option as you would not believe what a computer looks like inside after just a couple of months. It's all the dirt your feet kick up!

BTW for that cooler not to start hitting the cover, you only need a little bit wider case so just keep the case height lower than the space and you should have no problems.

Happy Computering,
    theone

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Russ,

I really like my Cooler Master Mystique case too. The mystique is a little fancier than the cavalier but then again it costs more too. Cooler Master makes great cases. Can't beat aluminum. No more Antec's for me. I had to remove the side duct to make room for my Zalman CNPS9500LED.

19. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

aabbccdd,

I'm sure it is a very nice case. My old pc was an Antec case. They're good cases too. It was so called tooless too but you did have to screw rails onto the optical drives then snap them in. You had to mount the hdd's with screws too. A screw also held in the cards.

When Cooler Master says tooless, thats what they mean. No screws whatsoever for the optical drives, hdd's, or cards. Only thing I needed a screwdriver for was mounting the mobo, PSU, and CPU HSF. I am sold on the all aluminum construction too. The box the case came in weighed as much or more than the case. I was shocked. This case weighs a fraction of what my old Antec did. No disrespect to your Antec buddy, but Cooler Master has won me over.