1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Mort81,
    I took the outside cuff off the side duct and sawed about an inch off of the base. It's 2C cooler than if you just left the duct off. That mod works particulally well with the 9500LED! Same thing with my Arctic on the D-940.

I've discovered that if I run the computer at 3.61GHz at stock voltages, it runs fine and the heat goes way down. my room temp is 24C right now and it's idling at 28C. The difference between 3.61 and 3.71 is minimal. It adds about a minute or two to an encode and loses a few hundred MIPS. It's worth it because at stock voltages I can do anything with it and never hit 50C, fully loaded! At 3.71 I would get up to 58C encoding! I ran OCCT (I re-downloaded it!) on it for about 6.5 hours with no errors! I think it's good to go!

Happy Computering,
    theone

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Russ mines running 43c tops transcoding

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

of course, this is where I come in and say my case is lightweight aluminium and tool-less, and still has a window and lights...

Funnily enough my CPU can peak at about 55C, but with the fan at half speed, that makes for pretty quiet gaming. The SOLE noisy fan in my PC is now my GPU, after that gets quieter, the raptor is all I'll hear.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  4. ademgs

ademgs Member

if my scythe infinity heatsink is too big for my case what do you guys recomend as an alternative heatsink. (if it is to big it will probably be by 1cm max). i am palnning on overclocking an e6300 over 3.0

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Zalman CNPS9700 or Arctic Freezer 7 Pro.

6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i think the ac freezer 7 pro is the smaller of those 2

edit

yea the ac is 92mm x 114mm x 120mm (LxWxH)
    the zalman is 90mm x 124mm x 142mm (LxWxH)

hope this helps as these are the top 2 but even the ac is no smaller than the infinity.

is it a side panel air intake funnel that is in the way?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  7. ademgs

ademgs Member

even without the air funnel it seems that with the motherboard placed in the case an every thing put together that i will either be just a few mm to big i might just end up leaving the side panel open because i hear that the infinity is really good for high overclocks ill just have to see what happens. the only thing thats gonna cause me a problem now is my dogs hairs getting in the fans

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I would go with a zalman CNPS7700 before I left the side panel off but that's just my 2 cents.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

actually the infinity is signficantly larger than the others at 116x125x160mm.

10. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

yep, my bad, its only the fan on the infinity thats 120mm not the total size, i checked on overclockersuk and its the only hsf that i looked at that doesnt say the total size just the fans look,
    ac freezer pro
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-017-AR
    infinity
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-006-SY

edit
    i have to say, looking at these specs now, fully awake, the airflow is quite an interesting comparison. i know its not a real yard stick to compare cooling ability but it has to help.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tId=1560&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1285GB

Check this out and tell me if it's a good deal. I can't keep up with all the numbers and dt, gt,xt, gto. I don't know what half of it means. If this is a good higher end vidio card then it's a good deal. Back when AMD ruled, I dreamed of owning an FX-60.

By the way, my spelling hasen't gotten worse, I broke my middle finger! I had ahold of the dogs collar with my middle finger and she did a 360 while I was trying to fill her dish. You'll love this Sam! She's an Aussie. Big and very powerfull. Funny thing is when Russell got her she didn't look like she would ever be a large dog. She didn't even have big paws! Her name is FA (for fat-a$$). She just kept on growing and now she can put her front paws on my sholders standing on her hind legs and look down on me. I'm 5' 10" so I'm not that short! She's about 2 or so and I don't think she has stopped growing just yet. I know they breed them as herd dogs but I don't know if they herd cattle, sheep, I don't know what you guys raise in Australia. I do know the demonstration of her quick turning abilities, unfortunatly with my finger caught in the collar showed me just how good she can maneuver in tight places like among animals, herding them!

Anyway, before I write a book, check out that deal at Tiger Direct and let me know how good the vid card is.

Happy Computering,
    theone

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why might I care if she's an aussie? You aren't confusing me with mr. crowy are you?

On the X1950 Pro it's a very good graphics card, and the fact that it comes with an FX-60 makes me very annoyed at how cheap that deal is! You can barely buy the GPU on its own for that over in the UK.
    Referring to my trusty bible, the THG VGA Charts:

HL2 Episode 1 1280x1024 4x8
    X1900XT 100.0fps
    X1950 Pro 78.4fps
    X1900GT 71.0fps
    X1800GTO 48.0fps
    X850XT 46.0fps
    X800GTO 29.0fps

Oblivion 1280x1204 0x8 HDR (outdoors/indoors)
    X1900XT 19.0/93.0
    X1950 Pro 15.1/76.2
    X1900GT 14.0/72.0
    X1800GTO 11.0/44.0
    X850XT 14.0/65.0
    X800GTO 9.0/41.0

13. Biohzard

Biohzard Member

Im looking into OverClocking my Intel Celeron 3.06GHZ I have an MSI 7211 Mobo with 1x 256 Pc3200 (200Mhz) DDR Ram and a Phoenix Award BIOS. How do i go about doing this?

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Biohzard,

Got an Axe?? Just kidding! My guess is that there isn't much you can do mainly because of the MB. PC3200/DDR400 is 400MHz (200x2) so the only problem is you need more memory as 256MB ain't gonna do it! You need 1 GB at least. Check your bios setup and see if it allows you to change the frequency. Usually it's set on auto so see if it has a manusl setting. If the settings are there then add more memory and overclock away. Just don't expect miracles, it's only a Celeron!

Happy Computering,
    theone

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think he probably could OC the CPU a bit, but the lack of memory just means he won't notice any improvement in performance. The MSI OEM board may present an issue, I don't know. I did have a board like that, an MS-6775, but I never tried to overclock it. Either way, rather than overclock your CPU, your first investment is more RAM!

16. onya

onya Guest

@theonejrs.....lol
    We call'em "slowroomunchinbigbuggers"....LOL

17. Biohzard

Biohzard Member

i am getting more RAM i have a gig on the way i was just wondering about the overclockinig i didnt see any way to increase it in the BIOS. From anywhere else i looked though people said the best processor to OC was the Celeron D and when done it surpassed the P4. Is there any application i can use out there to OC my CPU if i cant in the MB?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you can't do it in the motherboard's BIOS then I wouldn't bother pesonally, the only apps I've seen to do it in windows were pretty lousy. The celeron D overclocks quite well, but it's far from the best overclocking processor.

19. s3a

s3a Guest

Will AMD's 65nm X2's only advantages be:
    -Greater overclockability
    -Less heat emissions
    -and less power consumption?

20. s3a

s3a Guest

I just read several articles and I conclude that the only advantage of a 65 nm X2 over a Core 2 Duo is power consumption...at idle! Core 2 Duo consumes less power at full load [not to mention, it offers greater performance]! This release from AMD is pointless to my eyes. Feel free to "argue" with me [if you'd like]!