1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Intel are already working on 45nm, so AMD will still be more power hungry and run hotter! and still playing catch-up.

They should be on the market later this year, in various forms of CPU for desktop and laptop (dual and quad core).

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2087985,00.asp

There's also a fair bit on the Intel site about 45nm as well.

2. caucano

caucano Regular member

Hi all,

I am in the process of buying a new system and I am new to the whole over clocking business. I don't want to go crazy, but do OC the intel E6300. I will only be using one PCIExpress video card and have need some PCI and IDE interfaces. Can any of you suggest a good Mobo for overclocking this CPU as well as having the above? It would be nice if the IEEE 1394 was also included.

I have done my own research, primarily from Tom's Hardware website. I read their intel core 2 duo Mobo Showdown and looked into getting the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, but on newegg, many mentioned that it was dead on arrival and had to return. I also looked at the Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP Edition but I don't really care for the WiFi.

Any other suggestions or critics on the ones I'm considering would be greatly appreciated :)

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm still all for the Gigabyte DS3. Most of the people on newegg seem to return items because they don't know what they're doing. Here, you have us to help.

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

DS3 is a very good board, just make sure you get the latest release not one of the earlier ones.
    If your supplier can't guarantee it, then don't use them.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I'll put in a vote for the P5W DH Deluxe although there are a few better ones out now (possibly the eVGA 680i or the Abit 680i). You don't have to use the wi-fi (just don't install the drivers) but it's nice to use as an AP (access point) if you don't have a router and can also perform as a wireless card if you have a router. The mobo is a good OC'er as well.

6. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Ive seen too many poor reviews on the 680 chipset to put my money there.
    It seems a bit hit and miss, but that may well be down to the usual problems with the wrong people buying the kit and then not knowing what to do with it.
    My P5WDH has been as stable as a rock for months, running at 400x9 3.60GHz 24/7 most of the time with the E6600.
    I get no errors, and it plays any game without any issues normally associated with overclocked systems.
    The memory timing issues I had previously, have now been sorted with the 1707 BIOS, whereas before I couldn't get the memory to run at 4-4-4-12 at DDR800 only 533, it now runs fine from both memset and the bios.
    I've just ordered the E4300 to go in it with the DDR800 Corsair memory so I'll see how far that CPU goes up on this board.
    I'ts only going to running on air with the E6600 cooler that came with my main chip, even so I'm expecting it to get to 400x8 without any issues, but will try and get it up with the either the extra multiplier or an increase of the FSB.
    The Corsair 2x1024 6400-C4 runs quite happily at DDR900 5-5-5-12 on this board.

Have managed to get the REV 2.0 DQ6 board ordered, so the E6600 will go in that with a 2x1GB set of 8500 Dominator memory which I've finally got my hands on, so with the extra FSB of the DQ6 of 500+ and the better frequency of the memory I'll finally see what I can get as a stable overclock on my E6600.

7. caucano

caucano Regular member

thanks guys!
    regarding the Gigabyte DS3, how can I make sure it is the latest as compared to the old one? is there a firmware version I can inquire about? I am thinking of purchasing from Newegg, thanks.

Any thoughts on RAM? I am thinking of running the E6300 at around 2.5GHz...Have yet to work out the details on timing and such.

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I've only had one gigabyte mobo. I didn't like it because it didn't support dual channel memory (which was my fault for buying it) but it also wasn't very OC friendly. I have since used nothing but asus and they have won me over. I'm sure the gigabyte mobos have come a long way just like most other mobo manufactures.

Put in a couple sticks (2x512 or 2x1024) of corsair DDR2 XMS2 PC2 6400C4 ram and they'll run great at 800+mhz at 4-4-4-12.

9. caucano

caucano Regular member

Thanks Mort81....I know Asus has a good reputation as a Mobo manufacturer. any cons to getting the Asus? It seems the only one that cheers for the Gygabyte is sammorris.

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

The only slight con I can say about the P5W DH Deluxe is that it does run a little warmer than average but this has not caused me any problems. I know of several ppl that have OC'ed their E6600 to 3.4ghz stable on air with this mobo.

I'm not trying to sell you on this mobo. You need to shop around for a mobo with the features you need and one with a good reputation. I can only tell you what my experiences are with this particular mobo.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I might as well add my 2 cents and add the Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard to the mix. It's the least expensive 650i chipset MB available! At $134.99 it's a steal. it's also reported to be a good overclocker with both the Conroes and the Allendale!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131142

Happy Computering,
    theone

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I've nearly always used Asus for my own builds, but have used Gigabyte, MSI, Asrock to name a few for other builds.

Lets not forget Asus and Gigabyte have joined companies now, so there won't be much in the way of difference in technologies from now on anyway.

Asus have made plenty of boards without dual channel support as well.

If you're buying a board it's not much use just picking a company and expecting all the baords to perform the same way, you get what you pay for.

The P5WDH is an exceptional baord for the 775 core 2 CPU, it's still among the best performing out there, but there still issues that need fixing in the BIOS, and with the Asus focus now geared towards the 965 and 600 chipsets, there is less chance that certain problems will ever get fixed (namely some memory issues).

The DQ6 along with other 965 chipset boards suffered from some poor feedback, but that was mainly due to problems in the BIOS for such a new chipset.
    F9 BIOS has sorted nearly all issues that had been reported.
    You need to look into the faults that some people report as well, as most of the time these are occurring when the users are pushing the systems way above the stated specs they were made for, and a lot of the time, it is poor RAM etc... that lets the system down, as people don't appreciated the difference in quality between some products.

Gigabyte boards have ben having problems with some geil and Gskill memory, but seem to run free of problems with the Corsair (which seems to work in everything)

Early rev of the DS3 have serious problems with upping the FSB over mid 300's, but it was also due to the early BIOS.
    The second rev of board uses the C2 chipset instead of the C1 965, which has improved the FSB max speed as well.

How you tell about which rev of board you're getting is to ask if its not clear on the site.
    Otherwise look closley at the specs on the site and look at the following:
    Audio will be either Realtek ALC883 (rev 1.0) Realtek ALC888 (rev 2.0)
    Lan Marvell 8053 (Rev 1.0) Marvell 8056 (rev 2.0)

If it says that its the components on the rev 2.0 and you end up being shipped the older rev by mistake, then you have 100% grounds for a free replacement for false advertising.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds good!

I'm looking into the DS3 because here in the UK it's £70 cheaper. I can't justify £150 for a motherboard for an overclocking experiment. I intend to use Corsair XMS2 with the board so hopefully no compatibility issues. People rave about the P5WD-H, but I've seen plenty of high scores in the chart coming from the DS3, and for its significantly reduced cost, I think it's far more viable, unless of course you have a lot to spend. Fortunately BigDK here has... :)

14. caucano

caucano Regular member

great information thanks. I checked on newegg for the Gigabyte DS3 board I'm considering and noticed the following:

Audio Chipset Realtek ALC883
    LAN Chipset Marvell 88E8053

There is nothing else regarding the revision number. So does this mean its 1st rev?

Regarding the ASUS, the only reason I would get it is because the DS3 has been reported as having some issues. I don't have the need for 2 16x PCIExpress ports, but if I can save a headache, I will just get the Asus.

Thanks.

EDIT: I did contact Newegg for clarification on the Revision.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I don't think you can go wrong with the DS3, it has some serious overclocking potential and is loaded with high end components.

The only reason I went for the DQ6 over one of the other Gigabyte boards was due to the 12 phase power supply, which I haven't seen on any other board.

I'm just trying to maximize the OC'ing ability of the CPU to see how far it will go, more out of curiosity than need, so it's something I could quite easily avoiding doing.

Otherwise the DS3 would have been a probable contender for my next purchase.

I haven't seen any real benefit in going down the Nforce chipset route as an upgrade, and as I've already got a 975 chipset I want to compare it to a 965.

Long term I'm now waiting for the 1333mhz X35 chipset to be produced by Intel.
    This is still early days, but may be available later this year along with the 45nm CPUs, so for now my upgrade path seems to be heading along the Intel route.
    Other than that, I'm still waiting to see the ATI R600 GPU along with the 8900 series from NVIDIA.

I do wish money was no object, as Corsair have now released some DDR10K Dominator memory, and Seagate have the 15.4K SATA 2 cheetahs out, but they are about £500 a pop for a 147GB HDD (silly money).

16. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The motherboard Rev does seem to be a Rev 1, however it may just be that the site hasn't bothered updating the web page since it was first listed, sometimes they never do.

You'll need to check directly with them.
    My advise would be to do it via email, so you have a record if you still end up with the Rev 1 after being told it's Rev2

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, for me it won't be an absolute max experiment, just an attempt to get a decent OC for once!

18. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

has anyone seen what kind of results a nf65i can get out of a e4xxx?

19. ademgs

ademgs Member

ok ive started my new comp wiv the stock heatsink in fine no errors at all but the cpu idle temp was was around 67 and even reached the 80's....so i removed the fan and replaced it with the Scythe Infinity. When i boot up i get beeps and an error message stating that there is a "cpu fan error" when i go into the bios and chek the cpu temp it is 20 whats that about ...i cheked the fan RPM warning and it is set to N/A so im very confused now any help would be geat.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

is the fan plugged into the motherboard header or something else?