1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. ademgs

ademgs Member

i got it working now it was a stupid mistake i read the book stating to insert the chassis fan into the pwr1 if installin a dual core but i placed the cpu fan in there...fanx n e way mayb u could help me wiv anova problem im havin...the ide hdd are connected fine but the motherboard detects them and even lets me select them in boot sequence but when i look into the main screen it will say primary ide master DVD RW (witch is how it is connectd and then nothing else the hdd are "not Detected" is this something that will change if i format them?

2. ademgs

ademgs Member

also my Motherboards idle temp is 45c is that ok for an asus p5w dh deluxe

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

With regard to the temp, assuming it doesnt change much at load, it's alright, otherwise it's maybe a bit high, remember you need good case airflow with that MB, not just one case fan. On the IDE issue, you will need them detected in the BIOS to use them. Jumpers right?

4. ademgs

ademgs Member

but they are detected i can even select which boot sequence to put thenm in it is just not coming up in the main screen. and my case has the side panel off at the moment it has a rear fan and a psu fan and 2 fans at the front they are only 80mm but like i said the side is open. is there a way i can install more fans ?

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

45C is about right for that mobo. It will probably run a little cooler with the side panel on and after the thermal pads on the heatsinks have set in. My P5W DH Deluxe runs about 43 - 44C idle but that's with my E6600 OC'ed to 3.2ghz.

Is your hdd SATA or IDE?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  6. ademgs

ademgs Member

i have 2 ide hard drives connected

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

marsey99,
    According to the Anandtech article and results from another forum I belong to 3.3 to 3.4GHz is pretty easy to reach on air. My other forum has a thread on the Asus P5N-E which uses the 650i chipset. Anandtech did it with a stock Intel cooler (not recomended) with just a minor bump in CPU voltage. Price from Newegg for the E4300 just jumped up to $177. I think I'm going to wait for the E4400, which is basicly an 800MHz FSB 6400! It too, should be a winner!

Happy Computering,
    theone

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If they're detected in the BIOS but don't show up in windows that should be alright (although they should show up in device manager, just not in my computer until you format them).

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

adamgs,

Which IDE connector are you using on the mobo for your hdd's? I have only SATA hdd's so I'm not sure but that mobo may only support 2 IDE drives. You need to use the IDE connector on the side of the mobo pointing forwards for your IDE hdd's. There is another IDE connector on the bottom rear that may work for IDE optical drives but you may need to install a driver from the mobo cd-rom. I'm not sure since I have 2 SATA hdd's and 2 IDE optical drives. I didn't use the IDE connector on the bottom rear of the mobo.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ademgs,

Some motherboards will only boot from the primary IDE connector when using an IDE drive. If the hard drive is on the Secondary IDE, even if the drive is still set to master it may not boot. Asus does some funny things that way. Mine won't boot from the Secondary IDE even if it's the only drive in the system! I guess on the Secondary IDE it just looks for optical drives.

Happy Computering,
    theone

11. ademgs

ademgs Member

i installed windows on the hdd and it boots up fine but still sayin "Not installed" in bios....i dont know why but at least its working....but the mobo's idle temp is to high its hiting 48c and i was gonna overlcock it the cpu is around 27. but the infinity is running at 840 RPM is there a way to modify the fans to run at a speed i want it to. also any ideas on how to reduce the mobo temp. i still have the side panel off. there are PWR_FAN1/2 And CHA_FAN1/2 free on the mobo but where would i place the fan if i installed it??

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ademgs,
    Get an aftermarket chipset cooler, or Asus has one that takes the place of the heat sink. Check first to see if the holes are there to install one.

theone

13. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Regarding cpu fan speed, in the bios make sure AI quiet is disabled and CPU Q-fan is disabled. Also make sure CPU Q-fan mode is configured correctly.

Regarding mobo temp, install the side panel and give the heatsinks/thermad pads some time to set in. In the bios disable chassis Q-fan and power Q-fan.

Some ppl remove the heatsinks from the northbridge and southbridge and scrape off the cruddy oem heat pads and reinstall the heatsinks using some good thermal compound (arctic silver 5 or the new zalman heat compound) but the mobo must be out of the case to do this. Some also remove the gold tin coverings from the heatsinks so they can breath better.

Edit: You can control the cpu and case fans to some degree using the Q-fan features but you will get fan speed warnings in pc probe II if you use Q-fan. You're better off disabling Q-fan and running the fans on high/normal.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ademgs,

Check in the setup, main menu and look for enhanced mode on. It should be right around the IDE configuration. Set it to P-ATA if all you have is IDE drives. If you have a S-ata drive as well as the IDE, set it to P-ATA+S-ATA. I tried this on mine and when I turned the S-ATA only on, my IDE's disappeared. It all worked and showed in XP Pro but it was invisible in the set-up! This might be the problem as the MB probably is defaulted to S-ATA. That's what my default is. Hope it does the trick!

Happy Computering,
    theone

15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I have my Northbridge running at 33'c with the voltage set to 1.65 and the FSB at 400 with the 9x multiplier, E6600 CPU @ 3.6GHZ.
    I took the cooling pipe off, removed the crappy paste and replaced with Artic Silver paste, then fitted the Northbridge with a small fan.
    If I run at stock speed then the Northbridge runs at 27-28'c.

[​IMG]

You shouldn't underestimate the difference that applying quality compound to these areas makes, as the manufacturers are very poor in quality control, and the choice of paste used.

The least I would do, if you don't want to attempt this type of update, is to remove the plastic covers on the chipsets.
    They are just held on with glue, so can easily be re-applied if required.
    The fact that they are made of plastic, means they are acting as insulators keeping the heat in, rather than allowing it to escape; they look nice but actually have a detrimental effect to system performance.

I just did the same thing on my DQ6 last night and have been taking pictures of the process, these will demonstrate just what horrors you get under the factory fitted heat sinks, and why if you intend to push the system, it is worth spending a short time getting the board set up correctly.
    [​IMG]
    With only limited contact and the poor quality paste, they may as well have not bothered using any cooling on the NB and the Southbridge was just a joke as seen below.
    [​IMG]

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

BigDK,

I didn't performed the mods on my P5W DH Deluxe mobo (wish I would have and still might) that you are describing and I also mentioned a few posts up but I did help one of my buddies do it to his P5W DH Deluxe. The contact between the southbridge and junk thermal pad on the heatsink on his mobo was even worse than that in the pic you provided. His had little strips about 2mm wide one on the very top edge and one on the very bottom edge where they were contacting. That's it. No contact whatsoever in the middle or anywhere else. Pathetic. At least his northbridge was making full contact. We also removed those covers over the heatsinks to let them breath.

Where did you get the little fans you have over your northbridge and southbridge and how did you anchor them? Good idea. Mine's running at 43c - 44c at idle and has gotten as high as 49c while encoding with rb/cce. I doubt I pull the mobo out now to mod the heatsinks but I might install some little fans like what you have if I can do it with the mobo installed in the case.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think we're beginning to see why the chipsets get so hot, that's disgusting! I was amazed to find when my PC arrived that I could run the chipset using the tiny stock heatsink (the silver one with the fan) with the fan completely disable and it idle at 30C! But of course, that's using Arctic Silver V. What a difference it makes!

18. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I use the Akasa fans listed below, there are plenty of places in the UK, I'm not sure if you're over here or elsewhere?
    Overclockers are charging just under £6 per fan for 161, but Amazon have a couple for £3.50 each, or Scan have then for £4.10 each.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=414633
    AK-160 BL-S Cool Blue chipset fan 40mm,
    AK-161 BL-S Cool Blue chipset fan 40mm,

They come with the screws in the corners which I just use to self tap into the grill on top of the chipset.
    One of them needed to be slightly prized open with a flat bladed screw driver to get it to line up.
    They just then plug into one of the motherboard headers.

19. caucano

caucano Regular member

thanks for all the help guys. I'll keep your suggestions in mind. I am still waiting response from Newegg regarding rev version of the DS3. In the mean while I will start looking from some cases and RAM; must read up timing since I am new to all this (found some stuff on google but just need to set some time aside to read it).

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

BigDK,

Thanks. I'm in the states but I think I can locate a couple 40mm fans.

caucano,

Don't skimp on ram. Make sure you buy it in matched pairs (dual channel). The lower the cas # the better.