1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The akasa units come with the screws (and more importantly heatsink) required, so I'd recommend getting those specifically.

2. ademgs

ademgs Member

i cannot install a fan on the northbridge because the scythe infinity is to big. but is there a way to turn up the RPM of the infinity or will it do that automatically. also should i bother overclocking or wait till the temps drop the idle temp of the cpu is 27c and the fan is only running at 830-RPM and the mobo is 48c. and i cant install the side panel on with the infinity in because if i do the panel will be touching the heatsink

3. ademgs

ademgs Member

also i just checkd my temps after i got a warning form asus pc probe ii saying my mobo temp was to high.
    in PC PROBE 2 it said my mobo was 51c and cpu was 28c

PC Wizard 2007 said my mobo was 28c and the cpu was 51c

Speed Fan agreed with pc probe 2 and said my "system" temp was 51c and my cpu was 28c

but when i looked at the Power/AUX temp it was 66c

how do i change the fan speed with speed fan also and what should i do about the psu temp

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you attach it straight to 12V, you can't go much faster than that. Easiest way to do that is with a molex to 3 pin adapter.

5. ademgs

ademgs Member

the infinity can run at about 1200RMP so if i did get a molex to 3 pin and it was running at the same value how would i change it with speed fan

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can't make it any higher than 1200rpm, if you want it lower using speed fan you'd need to plug it into the CPU fan slot on the motherboard.

7. ademgs

ademgs Member

ok but what if it is still running at 840 with the molex converter. also what should i do about the psu reaching 66c is there some sort of cooler for it or should i just get a better 1.... the only problem is my case is awkward and most psus for a standar atx may not fit

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It shouldn't, you won't get a reading with the converter, it'll be at whatever it's maximum is and stay there. It'll never be loud though, 1200rpm isn't a noisy speed. May as well keep it there.

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You're never going to get proper airflow across your mobo with the side panel off.

You should also be able to obtain full fan speed on the cpu hsf by using the cpu fan header on the mobo as long as you make sure AI quiet is disabled and CPU Q-fan is disabled in the bios.

10. ademgs

ademgs Member

cpu-q fan and AI quiet are both disabled but still only at 840RPM what should i do "MORT"....
    I have also replaced the PSU which was on average 66c and the fan on the rear of it seemed kinda weak but im probly gonna get a better one soon are there any you reccomend...
    ..i think im going to mod the side panel cut a hole in it where the heatsink comes to and place a fan on the outside (should i have air blowing in to the case or out)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For the side, always in, especially since that's the way the fan on your CPU will work.

12. ademgs

ademgs Member

ok after replacing the PSU and the 80mm fan the case came with the fan is running at 1170RPM so thats sorted ive had the comp on for about 20 minz and the mobo seems like its staying at 39-40c but i havnt tried heavy load appz yet.
    im also thinking of replacing the two fans on the front the one located on the bottom near the hdd'd is blowing air out and the one on top is blowing air in should i change that. and is it possible to add a biger fan even though it is for an 80mm.
    the PSU is still quite high at 59c but its better then 66c which it was before so hopefully with a beter PSU the system temp will drop. what temps are all of your PSU's at

thanks for all the help so far

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didn't know you could monitor the temperature of your PSU...

14. ademgs

ademgs Member

in speed fan it is under "AUX Temp" and in pc wizard 2007 it is under "Power/Aux Temp" so im assuming that is power and the values changed when i changed my power supply try it and let me know what the values are on yours

15. ademgs

ademgs Member

Can anyone tell me the best atx PSU to get for cooling. my current one is only 350w so it dosnt need to be high just as long as its cooled well?

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ademgs,
    You have to be a bit careful when doing this. I had an 80mm blowing in where the air duct on the case was. Temps ran a couple of degrees higher because the fan airflow was interfering with the airflow of the fan on the CPU cooler. This happened with both the Zalman and the Arctic on 2 different set-ups, both in Cooler Master Cavalier cases.

Happy Computering,
    theone

17. ademgs

ademgs Member

theone

the scythe infinity has the fan blowing air into the heatsink i dont think i should get the sam problem you did seen as the fan i will place will be blowing cool air on top of the heatsink and possibly helping the fans on the heatsink pass cool ait through it? am i wrong in saying this?

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I would have them both blowing in. You have a 120mm on the rear blowing out right?

After this remark
    I'm done trying to help. Try to help and no appreciation whatsoever. I have the same mobo and my cpu hsf is running at 2650 rpm with the bios settings exactly the way I suggested you set yours. Sorry my suggestions didn't resolve your problem. I won't make anymore.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

ademgs,
    Both the Zalman 9500LED and the Arctic Freezer 7 fans blow air into the cooler from front to the back. What I would do if I was you is make the hole more towards the front of the case so that the airflow blows in front of the CPU fan. I think that was the problem in replacing my side air duct with the 80mm. The air duct sits right on top of the CPU cooler. The air from the 80mm was crossing the air from the cooler fan at a 90 degree angle. If I unplugged the fan, the temps dropped. On the other hand, if you make the hole right over the cooler and just put a grille over the hole, it should act the same as it does on mine without having to use any fan!

I know a fair amount about airflow characteristics as I'm part of a team that designs Hi-Speed Miniature Air Turbines for Dental Handpieces. I finalize what the engineers give me to work with. I run computer simulations on the changes I make with Auto-Cad 2004 with custom software made for us by AutoCad. My personal best was my last design which I finished in November. 580,000 RPM (not kidding!) for 24 hours without failure of the impeller or bearings. Here's an idea of the stuff I help design:

[​IMG]

The turbine is actually a bit smaller than the drawing, if you can believe that! This is just a simple 420,000 RPM turbine. Lots of little bitty pieces as you can see by the drawing!

I did a little simulation on the computer fans and discovered that the air from the side fan blows across the airflow from the cooler fan causing dead air space at the top of the cooler. It tries to change the direction of the airflow from the cooler fan. If you move it more towards the front of the case, then the airflow will help feed the CPU cooler and not interfere with the airflow at all.

Happy Computering,
    theone

20. ademgs

ademgs Member

how long should i leave the system before i start overclocking it is only 3 days old now the temps are stable at 39c for the mobo and 26c for the cpu when they are idle and under heavy load.