1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You may start to OC whenever you like, but if you're using thermal paste as opposed to a pre-applied pad, leave it a week to let it fully run in before doing anything like that.

2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

My DQ6 is up and running at last, it took a while to move everything because of the water-cooling.
    Its now running with a 400FSB x 8 whilst I finish the install.
    Will see how far I can get the FSB over the next few days, I'm hoping for 500 with a 1:1 multiplier on the Dominator memory when it arrives.
    As for the multiplier I end up with it depends on the CPU and how it performs.
    I know I'll get away with 7x, hope for 8x though.
    Had it running at 400x9 earlier which was running fine, but want to take it easy when doing other things.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

BigDK,

Did you put your E6600 in that mobo?

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Yes I've moved the E6600 into the DQ6 and I've bought an E4300 to put in the P5WDH, but it hasn't turned up yet.

I had ordered Vista, but it was holding the order up, so thats now binned for the time being, and at least the main bits are on the way.

I'm sticking the E6600 for now as apart from the quad core, I can't see too much gain out of another CPU, and even the quad cores aren't going to do much for me at the moment, as I've nothing running that will really benefit from it (plus they're too expensive).

I'm building a second rig around the P5WDH for inside the house as mine is located in my office outside, it'll have the E4300, 2x1GB Corsair DDR800 4-4-4-12, Asus 6800GT Extreme GPU.
    Haven't sorted a HDD for it yet.

I got the case which a a Thermaltake Xaser 3 with Hardcano, and GPU for £125, with some extra fans and cables chucked in as well.
    I've got 2x P4 desktops which are going in the local paper next week, they will pay for most of the parts I've had to buy.

Looks like I'll be busy seeing how far I can get both setups to go to.

Have to admit that the DQ6 BIOS is strange compared to the P5WDH, it's been a pain in the a*se getting it set up, earlier one of the drives was removed from the raid setup when I had to do a reset after a failed tweak.
    It couldn't be added back so the whole install was trashed, and I had to start all over (nice!)

I've now got 4 x Raptors in the ICH8R ports 0-3 running RAID0, I'm pretty sure that this may cause problems with attemping serious OC.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  5. caucano

caucano Regular member

since the bus speed is lower on the E4300 as compared to the E6300, does it mean it will be easier to OC? or does it mean it will be cheaper since I won't have to get super fast RAM?

edit: If i understand correctly, the clock rate for the e4300 would be 200MHz. I assume that the 9x multiplier cannot be changed on most motherboards so to OC I'd have to increase clock rate. Lets say I increased it to 266MHz, this means I could use DDR2-533 RAM and result in a CPU freq of 2.4G? if this is the case there would be no use in getting DDR2-800 since this would mean that a bus speed of 400MHz would be unreachable with the e4300 since the CPU freq would reach 3.6GHz.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They start with a lower FSB, which you can up to be as high as it would be for an OC'ed 6300, so overall they seem better overclockers.

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

caucano,
    I don't know! Anandtech ran thiers at 3.37 with a stock Intel cooler. I would think that the 4300 would be a little easier to OC because of the lower starting frequency of the FSB! The 6300 would have to have a FSB of over 2100MHz while the 4300 would only require about 1600MHz for the same chip speed.

Happy Computering,
    theone

8. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

[​IMG]
    i found this on another forum, its running in a p5b deluxe on air but it was unstable (4ghz+ with water?).

according to this guy win xp will not post with the fsb above 428.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmmm, maybe Vista's hardware stability tests are more relaxed than XP, that surprises me really, I'd thought they'd be more stringent. Either way though, if it doesn't boot XP at that rate, then it's effectively a bench race, I don't see a prime95 or OCCT window in that screenshot...

10. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

It looks promising, but I'd agree that there doesn't appear to be much info displayed.

Booting is one thing, but stressing the system is another, I'd like to see some tests performed.

I also prefer to see a validation on CPUz screenshots as well, so I know it’s genuine not just doctored.

Like this:
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=164016

I'm now running with the same speed as on the P5WDH with the added bonus of the extra HDD in the RAID.
    As can seen the speed I get on HD Tach is now quite high, so I'm now more than happy with that side of things.

[​IMG]

I'm about to start cranking the FSB up, but until I get the 8500 memory I'm going to be limited by the DDR800, I know it works okay up to DDR900, but haven't tried it past that point yet.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  11. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Now running at 450 FSB x8 3.6GHz 1.51V from BIOS
    DDR900 runing stable at 2.2V 5-7-7-18, will try and bring the timings down.
    Have taken it up to 474FSB via EasyTune 5, but then had system crash.
    Could take the voltage up on the memory, which I'll try tomorrow.
    No doubt though that the DQ6 out performs my P5WDH on FSB capabilities.
    Will post some scores and screens soon.

12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i know there is little info in that screen, but i also said he reported it as unstable. this isnt my point tho, even if you drop the speed by 300mhz (im sure this would fix all the stabiliy issues) it would still be overclocked by 100%

not the same guy/cpu/mobo but its same kinda cpu (fyi weeks 34 and 41 aparantly sucked for ocing with these cpu's no reports on other bad batches that i have found)

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=164095

edit
    whats that + 119% thats real impresive ocing however you look at it (makes my +26% look quite infantile) and puts these new cpus at the top of ocing tree from what i can find.

still no proof on stability i know, but i point you again to my second sentance.

bigdk is this in xp? ifso i dont know why this guy said he could not boot winxp above 428, anyone any ideas on that?

edit 2

i got 1 of the weeks wrong, my bad.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  13. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

It must just be a limitation on his board with the setup as it is.
    Did he say what memory he was using?

My board will boot and run with a FSB of 500+, but there aren't too many boards that can do that with any stability.
    Again to do that I need the 8500 Dominator memory.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And there was me thinking that sort of memory didn't have any realistic uses!

15. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I think as time goes by we'll all be wondering how we ever used anything less.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, I love how Corsair are pushing out memory modules in tiny increments as they push the chips that little bit further, PC8888 1111mhz seemed mad enough, but now we have PC9136 1142mhz! What's funny is that OCZ have made 1150mhz RAM with the once-again-neat sounding PC9200...

17. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fair enough. Still a 4ns command cycle though, so you'd need to be an insane overclocker for that to be a worthwhile upgrade over the 8888C4.

19. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Even the 8888 is too steep for anyone I know!

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Precisely. four hundred quid for RAM? That's silly money for a processor, let alone 2GB of memory. It's steep for four gig!