1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official OC (OverClocking) Thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 1, 2004.

1. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

A quick update on the E4300 CPU overclocking.
    Just started tinkering about again, as I've been away working.
    Have now managed to get a stable boot into windows and can run all benchmark tests at 400fsb with the x9 multiplier.
    Currently running a burn in program, but will do some screen shots of the setup and test results a bit later.
    So I now have a £105 1.8GHz CPU running at 3.6GHz (100% overclock) not bad really.

Even with the E6600 air cooler it is still only running at 39`c.
    Superpi time for 1M was about 14.5 secs, but I will confirm exact time with screen shot, as I'm currently on the other PC.

At least this confirms the capability of these chips, but again this is going to be dependant on the motherboard and the settings that are used.

2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Heres a screenshot of the E4300 overclocked on the P5WDH as promised.

Also had it up to 411FSB 3.7 GHz, booted into windows okay, but crashed after a couple of minutes, probably needed more voltage, will try and stabilize it later when I get a chance.

[​IMG]

3. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Wow awesome! Thats an amazing overclock!

Out of intrest you got any superPI scores to 1M. Im thinking of getting a rig like yours and would like to compare results to see if its worth it :)

Thanks lecsiy

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think we can safely say it's going to flatten mine! As I've mentioned though, I'm going to buy a Core 2 Duo overclock experiment PC. At this point in time I'm not sure whether to run that as a second PC with 1GB of RAM, or whether to pony up for the 2GB and make it my main PC in stead.
    This said, I'm looking at getting the Gigabyte DS3 board (the P5WDH and DQ6 are a bit expensive and don't seem to yield that much difference), and either the E4300 or E6400. Cost differences aside, which would be the better investment of those two CPUs? (as in end result).

5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Heres the latest super-pi from my DQ6.
    Haven't got it as low as the P5WDH as yet.
    The 975 chipset gives better times than the 965.
    Will post the P5WDH shot with the E4300 when I next get a chance to run it, its powered down and I'm going to bed early.
    I'm not as impressed by the DQ6 as I thought I would be, I'd still recommend the P5WDH over it.
    If the Commando had an IDE port on it, then I would have chosen that, but Asus seem to be steering away from IDE, which is a shame, as I'm not about to throw away my Plextor PX-716A drive yet.

[​IMG]

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

BigDK,

I can never remember, you got too much going on, are you only using the stock hsf from your E6600 on your E4300? Regardless, I am impressed.

7. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

@sam

i hope to be going the same route in the next couple of months(my kids keep eating my wallet) but i will be putting the e4300 in one of these it has been proven to push this cpu as far as any other mobo. i wont be using it for its sli tho.

@mort

yes bigdk used the e6600 hsf on it, good going that.

@bigdk

is there much difference between the 2 stock hsf's?

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

BigDK,
    That was another reason I chose the P5N-E SLI! It has 2 IDEs on it and I like my 3 optical drive set-up! I've been following that MB's progress in overclocking forums and it does quite well overclocking the 4300, the 6300 and the 6600! Time will tell!

Happy Computering,
    theone

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

and i found a brand new PX-716A on e-bay last week for 89.00 so i snaged it up

10. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

The difference it heat sinks between the E4300 and E6600 is quite small, but the E6600 heatsink is about 1cm thicker.
    It didn't appear to be any wider or any difference in the fan size, although as soon as I'd confirmed it was beefier I just went with it.

You can see performance differences in the E4300 and E6600 both running at 3.6, maybe its the cache, another point to note is the amount of voltage the E4300 takes to get to 3.6, over 1.6V is required for stability.

When I get the SATA drive fitted, I'll run some comparison tests between the E6600 and the E4300 with both set to 3.6GHz.
    Obviously there will be slight differences with the mobo chipsets, but I'll concentrate on CPU and memory tests only with both setups running at DDR800 and like for like timings.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So then P5N-E SLi or GA-965P-DS3? Or any other board for that matter...

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I can't see much to choose between those 2 boards at all.
    They are both now capable of reaching 500fsb with the right settings and memory.
    They have both had memory issues, which seem to have been addressed now, but as long as you intend to use DDR800 capable of good settings 4-4-4-12, then at least you'll get 400fsb, which if used with the E4300 will still give a nice 100% OC.
    If you think that SLi is something you're likely to use then the Asus board is the way to go, however with the capabilities of the newer cards, I can't see too much need for SLi.
    The only other issue is the D3 rev 3.3 has support for the next Intel CPUs with the 1333FSB which is something to consider as well.
    Personally I prefer Asus BIOS layout to Gigabyte, but thats because I'm used to it I suppose.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've gone with the Asus boards for a couple of reasons, but I'm aiming for around the 3Ghz mark rather than 100%, with PC6400 CAS5 Corsair XMS2 as I posted in the other thread.

14. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

the reason the asus is on my shopping list atm is because of the layout more than the sli, which i dont think i will use, its 2 pcix8 when enabled too.

i like the way they have placed the ide and sata ports, which for me, will make my cabling a whole lot easier.

add to this i dont like the colour scheme on the gigibyte. its pluses are the extra pci and sata's but i dont think i will ever need them.

from what i have seen/read both will get you to 3ghz with no trouble.

right im off putting my overclock back up.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

BigDK,
    The P5N-E SLI has the 1333FSB as well as the 1066 so it's ready for the Quad-Core!

Happy computering,
    theone

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

theonejrs,

You got that mobo on the way yet? You've been talking about it for a while.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I've ordered one, so you'll hear about it soon...

18. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

I am looking at the 8800gts...what do you think about the...

EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS SUPERCLOCKED...
    VS...
    EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS STANDARD CLOCK...

Same Price...$269.00 after $30.00 rebate...thinking 2...so I can play with SLI...I know its not really necessary for games...but would not mind comparing SLI to CROSSFIRE...first hand...

19. novadrago

novadrago Member

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help tweak my computer up by overclocking it to a peak.

This is all the information I could find and I don't know if more is needed.

I have an emachines so I am practically stuck as I cant change the fsb etc in the bios but I was wondering if some other people know how to.

Processor: AMD athlon64 3500+
    Voltage: 1.4V (I dont think this matters as I cant change it anyway)
    Core Speed: 2188.9 MHZ
    Multiplier: X11.0
    FSB bus speed: 199 MHZ
    Motherboard: MSI MS-7093
    Clock Generator: ICS952505
    HT link: 796MHZ

All the data above was obtained by CPU-Z and info given in my manual. I was wondering if someone can post a step by step guide to do this.

Thank You

20. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

As that board has no option in the bios to change voltage, fsb speed or multiplier your not going to get any extra performance out of it.